Play This Hole - Short Par 4

Hole #2 of my home course is very similar, but doglegs right and the water is in front. It's a little longer, so I can take a 3w to the corner leaving 40 to 80 yards in, but some people actually go for the green off the tee.

drive the sh*t out of it

I'd probably hit an 8 iron 140ish, then a GW into the green. If it was later in the round and I was hitting my driver consistently and accurately, I might go for it, but likely would lay up.

What if you were just having an average round? Would that change anything?

I'd then be very happy with an eagle and another eagle would always be a great, very happy experience no matter what my round was like. But the satisfaction of an overall best round would feel best to me right now. It just means much more right now to eliminate the darn disaster blow-up triples and quad or two from my rounds that fall right smack in between the pars, bogeys, and occasional bird. But again its just where I am at right now with my efforts and my game at this time.

I would hit 5 or 6 iron to leave a lob/gap wedge into the green. Hopefully hit the green and make par at worst.

I'd hit a 4 - 5 iron just short of those bunkers leaving a nice sand wedge into the green, 1 putt and birdie or 2 putt and par. Either way the hole is a success in my mind.

With no trouble short, it is a pretty easy decision to go for it 9/10 times. I've seen many of these short holes and always like the challenge and decision, and most of them have a variety of challenges short of the green to sway the decision. But without any trouble short, it is pretty much a green light.

Most likely, I'd take a 3-wood and try and go over the left edge of the right bunker and try and leave it somewhere on the right side of the green (depending on the conditions in that area anyway). maybe get a lucky bounce and roll and end up on the green.

3 wood or 4 wood and on the green. Easy decision dude.

with some talk of eagle here I begin to wonder something. For the mid and especially high capper or weekend hacker I would pose a question.

Of course the first thing in order to even mention to be putting for eagle means that the tee distance is reachable in the first place so lets say for debate sake that is a given. There is only one place to miss here and that is short. You are either on or short and if not then you either lost a stroke or worse, stroke and distance.

The two most popular scenarios played out in the thread are.
One = to go for the green
Two = play to about 80 to 100 yrd area, wider, safer part of fw and comfy distance in

Remember this is talking eagle and maybe mid but certainly high cap player. If we played each way 100 times each. Which one may actually offer the higher chance at the eagle?

While being on the green (with first option) is of course usually a chance at eagle I wonder if so many more balls out of the 100 shots would be on the green with the second scenario (second shot) that the percentage that one might drop in for the eagle may actually in the end be higher for us hackers out of the 100 shots vs the first way.

we have to consider of the 100 shots.
First way= How many tee shots would be on the green or short close? And then of those, how many would be close enough to putt or chip for a chance to drop in eagle?
Second one = how many times would you be on the green in two? And how often would the second shot be good enough to possibly drop in for the eagle?

IDK but we just may find the overall amount of balls on the green in the second scenario are close to the hole simply due to the fact that many more balls got on the green and the luck of one dropping in just might not be any further from an eagle chance vs the overall amount of chances by trying to go for it and being successful. One way has higher chance for the eagle but that's only when the much harder, much lower percentage shot is made while taking that route. The other "only offers" a one time second shot hole-out for eagle which is also low percentage but with much higher percentage of greened balls overall and out of 100 shots it just may be that one or two more possibly find the cup vs the other way. IDK but seems interesting.

P.S. , Of course the first way also offers a hole in one but that's another story all together lol.

This is a money shot for me this year. I'm hitting a baby fade with a 3 wood that will probably land front edge middle roll right to the right middle. The way I hit the ball the sets up while I'm probably not going to find the water so I'm probably going to stay aggressive on this hole.
Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Just out of curiosity, what would everyone's responses be if the question was posed as a 246yrd par 4?

What about a 246yrd par 3?

My money is that most of them would go for it - they regularly play par 3 holes that long - and it seems odd that 10 yards and a change in par makes the difference

Just out of curiosity, what would everyone's responses be if the question was posed as a 246yrd par 4?

My money is that most of them would go for it - they regularly play par 3 holes that long - and it seems odd that 10 yards and a change in par makes the difference

thought of this too more so as for the p3. Firstly I think at the long distances 10 yrds means a lot and also means going from driver/3wood to shorter woods and/or long iron for most pros. Obviously the rule of thumb is shorter club means better accuracy in normal situation. I believe they are going for it most of the time in that case. And even believe in contrast to what the 5of 6 pros said here that most are going for it anyway. I think they are just that good. But I do think a lot depends on just what the scoring situations are when they walk on the tee box. just how aggressive do they feel they need to be at the time on this p4. For the 246p3 I doubt many of them wouldn't be going for it imo.

I'm almost always going to go for this green. Even if I miss it long or left, a drop from the lateral hazard is equal to laying up and missing the green with a wedge. Not to mention, if I laid up, there's still a chance of putting your second in the drink, and taking 5 or worse.

I'll take the risk of hitting it in the water and scrambling for par if it means I've got a shot at eagle or up and down birdie.

I'm a high handicapper so I would hit my 6i then sand wedge on the green... hopefully.

If it's got that much trouble around it?

I'm laying up on the par 3 and trying to get up and down for par or walking away content with a bogey. No way am I trying to hit driver into a green with that much trouble unless my round is completely blown and I'm just having fun.

What's the distance from the tees further back, or is that the tips? Unless I were playing for like the lowest score ever I would definitely be attempting to drive it with a 3w. A more logical shot would be a PW followed by my 60 degree wedge.

I completely agree this seems like a par 3 from the tips, or a par 4 from a more forward tee. But there is a par 3 I play locally that is 230y and I choose to lay up on it because there is no miss if you go for it (1 handicap hole). So I don't think the "par 3 vs. par 4" and "going for it vs. not going for it" have anything to do with each other if you are trying to play smart and not lose a stroke from water or OB.

Depends how I was playing. If I was playing good that means I am driving well. So I am gonna pull driver and line up just right of the water and let the ball fade onto the green. If I am playing poorly I am taking an easy 8 iron and laying at the 100 yard marker and then a nice sand wedge into the green.

Lay up to 110-120. Gap wedge at the stick and tap it in for birdy.

Hybo one putt eagle

Hit a 7-iron to 156, leaving 100 in.

Hit a PW, aiming for the center of the green. If it fades on me, fine - I'll be on the right side.

2-Putt for par and walk away happy.
+1, except it would be a 6 iron for me, and aim it to the left bunker. That gives me a good angle in.

BTW, love these threads.

with some talk of eagle here I begin to wonder something. For the mid and especially high capper or weekend hacker I would pose a question.

Of course the first thing in order to even mention to be putting for eagle means that the tee distance is reachable in the first place so lets say for debate sake that is a given. There is only one place to miss here and that is short. You are either on or short and if not then you either lost a stroke or worse, stroke and distance.

The two most popular scenarios played out in the thread are.
One = to go for the green
Two = play to about 80 to 100 yrd area, wider, safer part of fw and comfy distance in

Remember this is talking eagle and maybe mid but certainly high cap player. If we played each way 100 times each. Which one may actually offer the higher chance at the eagle?

While being on the green (with first option) is of course usually a chance at eagle I wonder if so many more balls out of the 100 shots would be on the green with the second scenario (second shot) that the percentage that one might drop in for the eagle may actually in the end be higher for us hackers out of the 100 shots vs the first way.

we have to consider of the 100 shots.
First way= How many tee shots would be on the green or short close? And then of those, how many would be close enough to putt or chip for a chance to drop in eagle?
Second one = how many times would you be on the green in two? And how often would the second shot be good enough to possibly drop in for the eagle?

IDK but we just may find the overall amount of balls on the green in the second scenario are close to the hole simply due to the fact that many more balls got on the green and the luck of one dropping in just might not be any further from an eagle chance vs the overall amount of chances by trying to go for it and being successful. One way has higher chance for the eagle but that's only when the much harder, much lower percentage shot is made while taking that route. The other "only offers" a one time second shot hole-out for eagle which is also low percentage but with much higher percentage of greened balls overall and out of 100 shots it just may be that one or two more possibly find the cup vs the other way. IDK but seems interesting.

P.S. , Of course the first way also offers a hole in one but that's another story all together lol.

What's all this eagle talk? I'm going for an albatross.:act-up:

Hit a 7-iron to 156, leaving 100 in.

Hit a PW, aiming for the center of the green. If it fades on me, fine - I'll be on the right side.

2-Putt for par and walk away happy.

The smart way for me is the above. Most times I would do that.

But if I had just eaten a bag of peanut M&Ms I would have a sugar rush and pull out my driver. I would visualize a ball flight to the area where the fairway begins to open up again and roll it on in to the front of the green. The execution would probably send the ball to the right as I shied from the water and end up out of bounds or two fairways over...

Back