Fujikura MCI Iron Shaft Review

Interesting, thanks for that!

I like the trajectory I currently see but at times wouldn't mind a bit more heft/stoutness in the shafts as 55g is pretty darn light. Saw the comments about price so afraid to even check, haha.

With all of the options you have available to you, are these what you would choose to game long term if all testing ended tomorrow?

I can throw up some very high balls with this set up, which I really like. At the same time, nothing stopping me from a lower ball with the right technique.

As for my bag, yes they are in there long term. Haven't touched the RocketBladez in about a month and have no plans to. Testing can and will likely change that at times, but I have no intentions to move away from them otherwise.

I actually had the Action Lites in both the 3 & 4 Altitudes Cookie. When this was written, I hadn't done it yet, but I now have the MCI in the 4 Alt.

There's quite a difference, but it's one of those things that's hard to put into words. I guess the easiest way to put it is the MCI's feel more substantial, both in terms of weight and some added stiffness. These feel much more like an iron shaft than a hybrid shaft for lack of a better term. Interestingly enough, my biggest concern was adding a heavier shaft messing up the balance of the club and I just never saw that. These are weighted more towards the tip though, so my guess is that has something to do with it.

Didn't really see a substantial difference in ball height. Maybe a little lower, but that's grasping.
Awesome comparison Ryan, sounds like these might be a great option for my amp cell irons.

I've sat here with this thread open all day trying to think of something constructive or meaningul to say. It's not happening, so I'll just say that I still enjoy the shafts and the day somebody else plays them will be a happy day for me. I like to compare notes and find out if I'm crazy or not.

Great consistency and I'm liking the ball height. Hoping to get on a launch monitor very soon. It's been awhile since I did that.

I've sat here with this thread open all day trying to think of something constructive or meaningul to say. It's not happening, so I'll just say that I still enjoy the shafts and the day somebody else plays them will be a happy day for me. I like to compare notes and find out if I'm crazy or not.

Great consistency and I'm liking the ball height. Hoping to get on a launch monitor very soon. It's been awhile since I did that.

Ill play them buddy, ill pm you my address:D

I hope they find their way into some fitting carts, I would love to swing them

Well that would defeat the purpose!

Well that would defeat the purpose!

But it would fulfill my purpose, which is getting the MCI's in my bag.

Maybe I should just move to Florida. Then everybody wins!

Shafts are so hard for me to talk about, unless I'm just relying on data. I sort of wish I'd gone more that route during all this, but summer time is playing time for me. Spending the day inside on a monitor just seems silly.

Maybe I should just move to Florida. Then everybody wins!

Shafts are so hard for me to talk about, unless I'm just relying on data. I sort of wish I'd gone more that route during all this, but summer time is playing time for me. Spending the day inside on a monitor just seems silly.

I thought you get a good job on the review buddy. I agree shafts can be hard to talk about at times, especially iron shafts because its not like drivers where eyeballing flight is a bit easier.

And I can get down with you moving to FL.

Thanks Wake! I agree that iron shafts are maybe the most difficult, especially when you aren't talking extremes like Tour 90's or C-Tapers.

I also always wonder just how much credit to give the shaft vs the head vs the swing. I know what I see, but it's not exactly easy to nail down where performance is coming from.

I thought I'd share this. It was a comment that came in last night on this review from a guy named Doug Mael, who is a club fitter in PA. There was something interesting that he said in regards to weight that might be useful for those considering making a switch. Not sure if his advice is going to be applicable to everybody, but I'm taking it as people who like steel performance/feel to start with.

Nice review, and very consistent with my findings regarding these shafts, Hawk. I have found that golfers who are switching from standard-weight steel iron shafts to composite (graphite) iron shafts should not generally consider any graphite iron shafts that are lighter than 90 to 95 grams.
Doug Mael

Sort of leads into the build/technology in this shaft in that you can get something in the 100g+ weight range that doesn't feel like you're swinging a board.

that is interesting Hawk. I know when I was looking at shafts for the MC, I was looking at the KK shafts that were in the 75 gram range. However when I looked at the stock shafts they were down in the 50 gram range and that was an area that I did not want to get in to weight wise. I was a little worried about jumping from 120 gram shafts down to 50. In my mind I like the idea of more of a mid weight graphite shaft.

For me, that 105-110g range is the sweetspot.

For me, that 105-110g range is the sweetspot.

I like that range. I think when I hit Jman's Recoils down at the outing he had the 95 gram shafts in his DPC's. I thought that weight was good. I remember when I first tried the altitude with the stock graphite I thought it was too light. I'm sure I could get used to the weight after some range sessions though

I think James had the 110's and JB had the 95's (which I demoed eventually). FWIW, I thought the Recoils lacked in the feel department compared to these, at least the 95's.

I've got no doubt I could be fine with the lighter weight range, but in reality I had no intention of moving to graphite anyway. I entertained the idea, but the Recoils turned me off pretty quick.

I think James had the 110's and JB had the 95's (which I demoed eventually). FWIW, I thought the Recoils lacked in the feel department compared to these, at least the 95's.

I've got no doubt I could be fine with the lighter weight range, but in reality I had no intention of moving to graphite anyway. I entertained the idea, but the Recoils turned me off pretty quick.

not the first person that has said that. I'm still looking to try both, but the costs are just too much for a trial. There were so many things in the review thread about these that had me excited.

For me, it was like comparing the feel of S300's to KBS Tours.

I was extremely excited to hit the Recoils, but I too was not at all impressed with the feel. It was very dissapointing for me.

Did they feel really boardy to you, Wake?

Did they feel really boardy to you, Wake?

They did, I was expecting a really smooth steel feel, and that is just not what they were. You could have told me I was hitting x100s and I would have believed you.

This was a good review.

I've been considering maybe a shaft switch, and I know little to nothing about shaft technology. This was very good introduction and put in perspective what I may gain or lose from it.

They did, I was expecting a really smooth steel feel, and that is just not what they were. You could have told me I was hitting x100s and I would have believed you.

Thank you! I don't want this to turn into an anti-Recoil thread, because I've seen in person how well they can perform in the right hands. They just feel completely different to me and hearing somebody else agree with me makes me not question myself so much lol. We talked before about this - its not always so cut/dry with iron shafts.

This was a good review.

I've been considering maybe a shaft switch, and I know little to nothing about shaft technology. This was very good introduction and put in perspective what I may gain or lose from it.

Thanks gb!

right on about that

Just now seeing this review. Tons of info and feedback. Hawk, you continually provide outstanding reviews. Thanks for mentioning these shafts in the Graphite shaft thread. I hadn't heard of the MCI's before and they seem to be a nice transition into graphite iron shafts from steel.

Every time this thread comes up, I want these more.

Back