The Morgan Cup - The Official 2012 Thread

I will rue nothing!!!! I see it like this, nasty hook off the tee, chip out, layup, then a shot at the green, hit short, chip on and then three putt. But thats ok man, its match play.

I love looking at these courses, and I can't wait to play them.

Hmm I can see that happening as well

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Pretty sure we will be mixing tees throughout the event

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

That's pretty cool. I hope that hole does play short one day then. A good test for sure.

Man, I missed out of the golf course conversation. Lame.

I doubt I'll be going for any par 5's in two. In fact, I may just take a hybrid or Mashie fwy off the tee so I can up my chances of getting the ball in the fairway.

I doubt I'll be going for any par 5's in two. In fact, I may just take a hybrid or Mashie fwy off the tee so I can up my chances of getting the ball in the fairway.

Agree completely. As a matter of fact, excluding the par 3's, I bet I am 80% 3 wood/hybrid to 20% driver off the tee. Unless, of course, I just have complete confidence in the new driver which just may happen!

Agree completely. As a matter of fact, excluding the par 3's, I bet I am 80% 3 wood/hybrid to 20% driver off the tee. Unless, of course, I just have complete confidence in the new driver which just may happen!

It's tough to say really, but I do know that I do better on par 5's when I'm in the fairway, even if it's only a 200 yard hybrid shot.

For me itll depend where I'm at in the match or if we are doing scramble. I'm a huge fan of the FW off the deck!!! lol.

Hole #2 at True Blue would be awesome if you guys played it forward one day. I don't know if you guys are going to be on one set of tees or if it will be like a pro tourney where they move though. If the tees move, #2 could play at 271 for you guys one of the rounds. A ton of risk/reward with that big bunker area in front of the green. That would be fun to watch.

That could be a lot of fun.

For me itll depend where I'm at in the match or if we are doing scramble. I'm a huge fan of the FW off the deck!!! lol.

I agree buddy. If we are in a scramble and my partner has one out there in the fairway, why not try and bomb a driver out there. Way ahead or behind in a match, maybe the same thing, and play it safe if the match is close.

I agree buddy. If we are in a scramble and my partner has one out there in the fairway, why not try and bomb a driver out there. Way ahead or behind in a match, maybe the same thing, and play it safe if the match is close.

I'm a big fan of hitting what I'm hitting well. But playing to a number rocks if I'm dialed in. It'll be fun to see how everyone plays these holes.

For all of the talk about strategy for the scramble that went on last year, I can say that Ary and I had no strategy at all. We didn't keep a set order. It just depended on who liked the shot more. For us it worked. Seemed to keep us relaxed, after the 3rd hole or so haha

For all of the talk about strategy for the scramble that went on last year, I can say that Ary and I had no strategy at all. We didn't keep a set order. It just depended on who liked the shot more. For us it worked. Seemed to keep us relaxed, after the 3rd hole or so haha

This was the discussion on the first tee...
ddec: "So, who should hit the first shot?
me: "Uh, I don't care."
ddec: "I'll go ahead then."
me: "That's fine."

I think that ddec hit off the tee first on most of the holes, but then I hit first on most of the approaches. It's not like we had a big strategy set up, we just went with what felt good. I think we learned our lesson on the 3rd hole, which was a par 5. We were sitting pretty in the fairway and had a big discussion about whether to lay up or go for the green, and we decided to go for it. A couple of chunked fairway woods and terrible sand shots later, we made bogey and lost the hole. After that, we just played by feel, it worked out well.

You guys are underestimating how wide open some of these holes are. Flail away lads!!!

There's a few par 4's that are just fun at True Blue. Doglegs that you can bang a fwy/hybrid to, or you can try to rip it over the corner. I swear the par 5's are the hardest holes on that course. The par 3's arent' easy either. Multi tiered greens FTW!

You guys are underestimating how wide open some of these holes are. Flail away lads!!!

There's a few par 4's that are just fun at True Blue. Doglegs that you can bang a fwy/hybrid to, or you can try to rip it over the corner. I swear the par 5's are the hardest holes on that course. The par 3's arent' easy either. Multi tiered greens FTW!

I love how you talk about the courses. It gets me pumped for it.
On Christmas my father was talking to his buddy who lives in North Myrtle and was telling him about the event. When the guy asked about the courses his response was "whoa, those are some seriously good courses"

I just can't wait to see/hear about you guys playing these courses. These courses seem to be set up so that course management is a premium. That should be a lot of fun when combined with the formats you guys are playing.

yeah, I thought therre were quite a few trees on this course?!?

yeah, I thought therre were quite a few trees on this course?!?

True Blue or Caledonia? Caledonia is tighter than True Blue by miles. There are some tighter holes at True Blue but there's far more wide open ones. I'm telling you man, the first hole you just cannot miss left, you can miss right for days. The second par 5 is even scarier though, water all up the left side. It's not easy.

I can't wait for the live coverage of this event...so cool!

True Blue or Caledonia? Caledonia is tighter than True Blue by miles. There are some tighter holes at True Blue but there's far more wide open ones. I'm telling you man, the first hole you just cannot miss left, you can miss right for days. The second par 5 is even scarier though, water all up the left side. It's not easy.

I like missing left. Its my miss. I also like being below the hole. Those greens better hook it up! lol.

I have never played True Blue, I did play Caledonia

I have never played True Blue, I did play Caledonia

Do you remember it at all? Caledonia is a tough little sucker. They've got those old growth Oak Trees precariously placed. I almost hit a hole in one on #11 there, it's where I had to have the cup fixed b/c my golf ball flew into it on the fly and plugged half in the hole and half out of the hole. My heart was pounding. You'll like True Blue, it kind of reminds me of Sarasota National in a way.

I loved Sarasota National. You could really just let loose on the tee.

Do you remember it at all? Caledonia is a tough little sucker. They've got those old growth Oak Trees precariously placed. I almost hit a hole in one on #11 there, it's where I had to have the cup fixed b/c my golf ball flew into it on the fly and plugged half in the hole and half out of the hole. My heart was pounding. You'll like True Blue, it kind of reminds me of Sarasota National in a way.

Not really man, I played there when I was more interested in drinking than golfing.

Not really man, I played there when I was more interested in drinking than golfing.

What! When did things change?

Hey Guys -

Tadashi has been so incredibly helpful and he did some research on lodging and below is what he has found. If you all are serious about getting these rooms booked then we need to do that pretty soon so we can be sure everything is locked down and the MC golfers are all staying together. If you are serious about booking a room then please send a PM to me or Tadashi ASAP so we can get things booked! Here is the info:

Here is the pricing in Myrtle Beach at True Blue Villas. $159 per night for a villa that sleeps 4. So couples pay $80 per night and singles pay $40 per night.
Each villa is two bed two bath with two twins per room for singles and queens for couples. Full kitchen and balcony.
These are the True Blue/ Caledonia condos. This puts everyone under one roof.

Yes Tadashi has been amazing with all he has been doing. Was in contact with him yesterday, as were most people I believe. That deal seems extremely solid!

Back