Why do you practice golf?

kiteman

Reaction score
I had a conversation with a friend who insisted on practicing at the range a few times a week. He doesn't play competitively, or even for money. I asked him why he practiced so much, and he said to polish his game. I asked why he needed to polish his game outside of playing on a course if he's only playing for fun/personal satisfaction, and he responded, "Good question."

Since golf is a singular sport, I see practice as playing the sport itself, not going to a range/putting green. Sure, if you play competitively, you have to get an edge and practice is the answer. But if it's just for fun, unless you find range time as fun as playing a round itself, why do it? I mean I play computer games but don't spend an hour before every round repeatedly clicking my mouse at a blank screen for practice.

So, why do you practice? The only other logical reason I see people wanting to practice is if they simply don't have enough time for a full round, and range time is all they can get with their schedules. But for me, I don't like the range at all, and I never blame a bad shot during a round on a lack of practice. I just learn from the mistake I made and remember how to correct it the next time...aka I'm practicing when I play a round.

The golf swing and computer games are extremely different. One involves and incredibly complex mix of body motions and timing and the other involves tiny movements and memorizing patterns.

I practice to get better. One of the great joys of the game (to me) is the feeling off accomplishment gained through improvement. I've seen a direct correlation between the amount of practice time I spend and how well I swing the club. The last place I want to hone my swing is when I'm playing.

I had a conversation with a friend who insisted on practicing at the range a few times a week. He doesn't play competitively, or even for money. I asked him why he practiced so much, and he said to polish his game. I asked why he needed to polish his game outside of playing on a course if he's only playing for fun/personal satisfaction, and he responded, "Good question."

Since golf is a singular sport, I see practice as playing the sport itself, not going to a range/putting green. Sure, if you play competitively, you have to get an edge and practice is the answer. But if it's just for fun, unless you find range time as fun as playing a round itself, why do it? I mean I play computer games but don't spend an hour before every round repeatedly clicking my mouse at a blank screen for practice.

So, why do you practice? The only other logical reason I see people wanting to practice is if they simply don't have enough time for a full round, and range time is all they can get with their schedules. But for me, I don't like the range at all, and I never blame a bad shot during a round on a lack of practice. I just learn from the mistake I made and remember how to correct it the next time...aka I'm practicing when I play a round.

That's a big one for me.

But also do it if I'm not hitting the ball right on the course and have fallen into a bad habit. Most of the time it's something I can figure out with an hours time on the range.

I don't practice, but I should. It's not that I think I can make the tour. It's that I want to make the 12 footers for $20.

Even if you don't participate in tournaments and you're just playing a friendly game, golf can always be seen as a competition. You can be competing against the course, or competing against your own previous best score.

Repetitive strikes on the ball with the same club allow me to have a more confident swing on the course. Some call it muscle memory, some call it other things, but I call it success by repetition.

That can't be accomplished by merely playing the game. Neither can the countless hours it takes around the practice green chipping and putting.

I practice to push myself to be better. I practice because I think one can always improve at the game. I practice so I can score well.

I was just talking about this the other day. I don't ever practice Bowling, but I love to practice golf. Repetition is the only way to get better and if you can't get to the course its the next best thing.

Also, don't overlook the fact that practice just by itself can be enjoyable. Playing mini-games on the range or practice green can keep it fresh and fun, and keep it from seeming like work.

Also, don't overlook the fact that practice just by itself can be enjoyable. Playing mini-games on the range or practice green can keep it fresh and fun, and keep it from seeming like work.

I'd agree there too. I enjoy it all.

Time does play a factor as well during the week.

Even if you don't participate in tournaments and you're just playing a friendly game, golf can always be seen as a competition. You can be competing against the course, or competing against your own previous best score.

Sure, but I still feel like you can be competitive with yourself and use the course itself as a means to practicing. It's not like you're going to beat your personal best every time you play, so you should assume any round not trending in that direction should just be utilized as a practice session. This is especially true for people that play the same course a lot...you're going to find yourself in a variety of lies/areas and learn how to get out of them better by playing that course vs. practicing on the range.

But also do it if I'm not hitting the ball right on the course and have fallen into a bad habit. Most of the time it's something I can figure out with an hours time on the range.

Good point. Fatal flaws that prevent enjoyment of a round and/or losing too many balls while playing is a legitimate reason.

Why would anyone want to play any sport poorly? I know I want to be good at anything I do. Practicing leads to improvement.

I don't practice at all, but if I had the time and a nearby range I probably would a little. But for me it would be to work on things that I don't get much practice on during a round, like fairway woods and pitch shots. I'm just not dedicated enough to make range work a part of my game. I don't need another job and that's what golf would become if I took it too seriously.

I practice because I want to be on tour when I'm older. Also because I love the game.

I practice because I want to improve and be able to compete in amateur events. I also really enjoy that feeling of hitting a pure shot off the tee, an iron shot in to the green that lands next to the pin, or that chip shot off the green that lands in the hole. The more of those I have the more enjoyable the game is for me. The only way to get more of those is to practice.

A lot of times it's because I don't have time to play. But another thing not previously mentioned is that practicing is a lot cheaper (range) or even free (short game/putting). And for me, I simply want to improve my scores, and I've isolated the few areas of my game that regularly keep me from better scores (in my case, 20 yards and in). Sure, you get situational practice of your short game on the course, but if you screw something up you can't just sit on that green and rep it forever to figure out how to do it right. For me, I need the reps on those shots I struggle with, and I need to develop more consistent speed control on putts.

Sure, but I still feel like you can be competitive with yourself and use the course itself as a means to practicing. It's not like you're going to beat your personal best every time you play, so you should assume any round not trending in that direction should just be utilized as a practice session. This is especially true for people that play the same course a lot...you're going to find yourself in a variety of lies/areas and learn how to get out of them better by playing that course vs. practicing on the range.

Of course you'll also learn and improve from spending time on the course, but how you approach the round mentally could make a huge difference. If everytime your score starts to blow up you shrug it off and just call it a practice round, I think that you're doing yourself a disservice. You're ingraining that approach into your mental process. If the time comes that you're faced with that situation in a round that you're trying to take seriously, old habits may haunt you. Playing a practice round is great, but it may be best to call it that from the start to separate it from rounds that you're playing seriously.

I don't practice, and I should, I just don't get much time to. Being in two golf leagues, joining THP, and playing with friends and family has given me the opportunity to play 47 rounds (630 holes) since April.

And will all of that golf, there are still times I address the ball and have no clue where it's going.

I also really enjoy that feeling of hitting a pure shot off the tee, an iron shot in to the green that lands next to the pin, or that chip shot off the green that lands in the hole. The more of those I have the more enjoyable the game is for me. The only way to get more of those is to practice.

Actually the only way to get more of those is to play on the course itself. There is no way to get any of those results unless you are playing on a course. Practice on a range simply improves your odds of making those shots happen, but then again hitting those shots repeatedly the more you play that course also improves your odds of making those shots happen. My whole point is they are both forms of practice, and I prefer being on the course.

Why would anyone want to play any sport poorly? I know I want to be good at anything I do. Practicing leads to improvement.

Who said you must be a poor golfer if you don't spend time on a range? And again I guess it's not really being conceptualized very well, but playing on a course is in fact a form of practice.

For me it is like anything else in life...

If you enjoy it you can get satisfaction/joy from all facets of it...

Personally, similar to Canadan, I love working on specific shots and or shapes/flights of shots...Which is generally not something you can do on the course, without pissing off group behind you)...However, like anything in life also, if your practice does not have a purpose then it can easily be monotonous or "work"...For me I generally practice on the range as a break in teh day, and when getting ready for a tournament (generally play one most weekends) and the shots and types of conditions I will be playing...

if your practice is merely banging balls, then it is not focused practice (my opinion)...

However, being the type of person I am (accomplishment driven) I practice to improve my skills and perform better...I have worked hard to build a draw swing, as my normal swing is a slight fade, and this year have been able to do it...as well, I have a goal in mind, and have focused a lot of energy on increasing my scoring game (30 yards and in) as well as putting...which have yielded personal bests in several stats including Putts/round, scores, GIR, FIR, etc.

so to sum it up, it is about accomplishment...

My course is 5 minutes from my office, so instead of eating a fattening lunch, I take my protein bar and go to the range for 30 minutes a couple times a week. Since I started doing this practice does not take anything away from my time with my kids and it has saved me a lot of dollars on losing balls by fixing my driver issue on the range. It is very hard to fix things on the course for me.

When I practice it's to get better there's no other reason for me to go to the range unless I'm working out some frustrations after a long day. but every time I go to the range I'm going to get better

Practice on the course is fine, if you know what mistakes you made and know how to fix those mistakes. Most people don't know how to fix those mistakes and continue to make them. more importantly it's highly unlikely you will have the same two shots on the golf course outside of your T-ball

your right, but there are people who are just naturally gifted and dont need or want it...have a good friend who bounces from a +2 to a 2 Handicap and he never practices, plays about 50 rounds a year (which is light IMHO for a guy that good) he just has a natural swing, grooved from early age, and he has done the practice grinding, and for him, it adds no value..for me it adds value!!!

I practice to work on my game so that I put myself in a better position to shoot lower scores. I also find practice fun. Practice is the time to groove certain shots or try to figure out what bad habits are developing. When you're on the course, you shouldn't be thinking about any of that.

I practice because I want to improve. For 99% of golfers, spending time on the range allows them to improve. I challenge the OP to go to the range and chip/putt for 30 minutes, then hit a small bucket and at the end of a month see how their game is. It will be better.

To use your video game analogy. I love video games, but never play them. Therefore, when I play COD I get absolutely destroyed. Now if I play a million times I will improve through trial and error(ie. die a whole lot). Now if COD had a shooting range where I could work on different scenarios and use all the tools at my disposal, I would improve in that controlled environment much more effectively than just getting my arse handed to me a bunch of times.

I don't have a range nearby, although I wish I did. I used to practice at a range because it gave me more consistency. Repetition is key. I get better repetition at a range than playing the round.

Anymore, all of my practice is just putting and short game. Putting is just for getting used to reading breaks, and short game is because that is all feel. The more you practice short game, the more feel you have on the course for it.

~Rock

Back