Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

I've been using the 5 hyron off the tee on some long par 3 and even short par 4. Each time I hit it I get a little more confident and tonight I hit some high, straight bombs the likes of my hybrids! I was afraid this was gonna happen as all I can think of is how the other hyrons would perform.

Finally had range time to really work the new irons over. I am so impressed with these. Now they don't fix bad swings of course, but slight mishits I keep looking for the trail off to the right and its just not happening. Just little distance loss. Then the pure hits feels sweet. I honestly thought I was giving up allot more feel to swing hyrons, but a pure hit is still rewarded. Range time has shown that I get the same results going smooth as attacking. When attacking I can get crazy pulls, so I love no distance loss in going smooth.

Finally had range time to really work the new irons over. I am so impressed with these. Now they don't fix bad swings of course, but slight mishits I keep looking for the trail off to the right and its just not happening. Just little distance loss. Then the pure hits feels sweet. I honestly thought I was giving up allot more feel to swing hyrons, but a pure hit is still rewarded. Range time has shown that I get the same results going smooth as attacking. When attacking I can get crazy pulls, so I love no distance loss in going smooth.

Nice dude. These, these are just plain fun.

Now, change you signature. Boom.

I've been using the 5 hyron off the tee on some long par 3 and even short par 4. Each time I hit it I get a little more confident and tonight I hit some high, straight bombs the likes of my hybrids! I was afraid this was gonna happen as all I can think of is how the other hyrons would perform.
Yeah, I have had two different ppl ask me why I don't just hit the 3 hyron off the tee every time when they see me hit it. Not sure if I should be insulted about my inconsistent drives or not :) The 3 Hyron is better than any hybrid I have hit because I play it like an iron. For some reason standard hybrids are hook machines for me.

Added the 5 today. They are slowly creeping downwards in my bag.

So I went to the PGA Superstore here in Myrtle Beach today. They put me on their monitor and gave me the 6 hyron to test with the regular flex, stiff flex in graphite and the stiff flex in the steel. I hit them all well but I was most consistent with the steel stiff. I had an average of 90mph club head speed with a 100 to 130mph ball speed. I was consistent around 200 yards with a few carrying as much and one 215yd shot. They checked on my lie angle and said the standard was good. So now I know I need a set of steel stiff shafts with a standard lie angle. Now just to find a good deal on ebay!

Dang dude those are some long hyrons

not expecting this to come early but a package arrived at work for me today... thanks Ryebread, I now have my Altitudes!! To the Range.......

The info around these is staggeringly interesting ... I must go hit some.

Vegas can't get here soon enough so I can hit #Cookie's clubs.

I've got a potential fantasy baseball payoff that has partial Atlitude purchase written all over it.

I picked up the PW today at Golfsmith and couldn't hit it well to save my life. Possibly the Indian as I have mostly good success with the 5i I have.

Hi, I just joined the site today. I have been on a several year hiatus away from golf but decided to get back into it. As a reward, I purchased a new set of irons since I still have my Big Bertha irons from college over a decade ago. This site convinced me to go ahead and take the plunge for the Cleveland 588 Altitudes.

This morning was my first go at the range. Overall I was quite pleased with the irons, especially the 4 and 5. I brought my Big Bertha 9 iron as a comparison. I actually still prefer my Bertha short irons (7-9) but I did hit the Altitude longer irons better. I may try a few more times before deciding but I hit my Bertha short irons straight and consistent. Once I'm allowed to post in Marketplace, I may put some of the Altitudes on there.

Hi, I just joined the site today. I have been on a several year hiatus away from golf but decided to get back into it. As a reward, I purchased a new set of irons since I still have my Big Bertha irons from college over a decade ago. This site convinced me to go ahead and take the plunge for the Cleveland 588 Altitudes.

This morning was my first go at the range. Overall I was quite pleased with the irons, especially the 4 and 5. I brought my Big Bertha 9 iron as a comparison. I actually still prefer my Bertha short irons (7-9) but I did hit the Altitude longer irons better. I may try a few more times before deciding but I hit my Bertha short irons straight and consistent. Once I'm allowed to post in Marketplace, I may put some of the Altitudes on there.

Welcome to thp
Id give it a few more sessions before making a decision. Once you get in the groove u may want to keep all the altitudes

Thanks, I used to post on some old forums years ago. I enjoyed it and even met another member for a round. I'll give it a little longer for sure.

You wont find any trouble meeting THPers for a round. Heck we just had an event in GA with the THP Tour Van and close to 40 THPers for one of our Invitationals.

I used Dhills 5 Altitude twice during our round for tee shots and it was pretty awesome. The first was piped straight down the middle and after the second one I looked at him and told him I hit that ball poorly. We drove up to it and it was 197 right center of the fairway. I just laughed. I have a feeling I may own a couple of these in a short period of time.

Edit: That was with a shaft that should theoretically be terrible for me as well.

Hey JB, any indication that there will be a 2014 release of Altitudes?

Hey JB, any indication that there will be a 2014 release of Altitudes?

not sure if he would be able to comment on that just yet.

not sure if he would be able to comment on that just yet.

Thanks JB :alien: Hahaha You are probably right Deano. With all the talk of how they have been selling/not selling and the fact that they are coming out with an Altitude Driver, leaves me perplexed. I really want to love these. I am going to see if I can get them figured out.

I really want to love these. I am going to see if I can get them figured out.

Me too, and I've kind of given up on trying to figure out the one I have.

Thanks JB :alien: Hahaha You are probably right Deano. With all the talk of how they have been selling/not selling and the fact that they are coming out with an Altitude Driver, leaves me perplexed. I really want to love these. I am going to see if I can get them figured out.

Play/Swing/Hit them JUST like an iron Ricky. No hybrid there, just like an iron. Its been the difference for many.

Back