2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took a week off from the gym to get my set in the right frame of mind for it and to stop making excuses for myself to not go. Its being to cold out was my favorite one. Went yesterday and cracked the 4 mile mark which makes me happy, I've been sneaking up on it, increasing my speed (im still walking right now, hope to pick it up to a jog in a week or so) every time and finally cracked it yesterday. I then got some lifts in, a little medicine ball work in, and then a little flexiblity work to finish it off. Felt great to get it at and see a goal hit.

Nice man! Congrats on getting back out there!

My best friend is a nutritionist an personal trainer. He advised me that less weight-more reps, yoga, cardio and low fat- low carb- healthy diet is all you need. If you try to get bulk, you're just killing your game slowly (case in point Tigger Woods (yes I said Tigger).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if I'd say this as everyone is different. Those long drive guys seem to have a fairly stereotypical body type that is rather large....

I think I'd have to agree with Blu here as medium reps (some people would say low 6-8) with heavy weight builds size. Low weight lots of reps helps define and shape. Strength is a funny term. Are we stating that strength means to lift as much weight as you possibly can, or lift a specific weight as many times as you can. Both would be considered strong IMO. Just an observation. If you are trying to increase a max, more weight, less reps, specific number of days off and a very specific training schedule. If we are going for a personal record for reps i.e. pushups or pullups- more reps more frequently. Hope this makes sense.

What about those who are going for strength and endurance?
There was a CrossFit Strength workout plan which started with three to four warmup sets; two work sets x five reps; third work set to failure. Similar to the 5/3/1 program.
Just some thoughts. :) I definitely enjoy the discussion.
Higher reps have there place in a bodybuilding routine if all you are worried about is size, but that's about it. Those who think " Well, I'll do high reps and lose more fat and get cut" are waaay off base though.

What about those who are going for strength and endurance?
There was a CrossFit Strength workout plan which started with three to four warmup sets; two work sets x five reps; third work set to failure. Similar to the 5/3/1 program.
Just some thoughts. :) I definitely enjoy the discussion.

Well, I'd say that is more of a strength goal overall. Kind of lending itself to the body weight example I gave. I think that you are right, but I also don't feel that those workouts lend themselves to increasing size to the degree of other workouts.

Phase 1 Week 2 today

low incline bench ( 5 sets ) 6-8 each
Dumbbell military press 3 sets
inverted row 3 sets
Rope face pull 2 sets
Diamond pushup 1 set

sore tomorrow

BodyRewritten Workout in for the THPMC.

Did a new BOSU ab workout today and definitely felt it

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Phase 1 Week 2 today

inverted row 3 sets
Rope face pull 2 sets
Diamond pushup 1 set

sore tomorrow

Insantity Cardio Power and a Resistance, with some Basketball.

Team Paradise #doinwork

Phase 1 Week 2 today

inverted row 3 sets
Rope face pull 2 sets
Diamond pushup 1 set

sore tomorrow

Week 2 of phase 1 is the worst week of that program. It's brutal. Those 5 sets are draining.

Got my workout in today. Down to 205 now. I can't remember the last time I weighed in at 205.

Ah yeah, going for size is a whole 'nother ballgame.

Well, I'd say that is more of a strength goal overall. Kind of lending itself to the body weight example I gave. I think that you are right, but I also don't feel that those workouts lend themselves to increasing size to the degree of other workouts.

Week 2 of phase 1 is the worst week of that program. It's brutal. Those 5 sets are draining.

You ever tried a 10x3 workout? It sucks!!! I find the heaviest weight I can lift for 3 reps then start off 10lbs lighter for the first 3 or 4 sets. Add 5 lbs for the next 3 or 4 sets. Then max it for the last few. Try and not let yourself go with more than 45 seconds in between each set and feel the ridiculous exhaustion sweep over you after your done. It's terrible. Terribly wonderful! Of course you only do that for your one main power lift for the day. After that is time to wrench it back a little.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It is draining. I feel good though. I think I built up a decent enough base so this program wont kill me haha

You ever tried a 10x3 workout? It sucks!!! I find the heaviest weight I can lift for 3 reps then start off 10lbs lighter for the first 3 or 4 sets. Add 5 lbs for the next 3 or 4 sets. Then max it for the last few. Try and not let yourself go with more than 45 seconds in between each set and feel the ridiculous exhaustion sweep over you after your done. It's terrible. Terribly wonderful! Of course you only do that for your one main power lift for the day. After that is time to wrench it back a little.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Sounds interesting. I'll look into it.

Got my workout in today. Down to 205 now. I can't remember the last time I weighed in at 205.

That is awesome dude.

Thanks guys. I still have a ways to go to get where I want to be by July but things are progressing better than expected.

Thanks guys. I still have a ways to go to get where I want to be by July but things are progressing better than expected.

Everyday, just get back on the train bro. You'll get there.

2.5 Miles on the Mill this morning completed Wk 3 Day 3 starting Wk 4 Day 1 next run. Really looking forward to it.

I find them equally important. If my first two shots are solid that usually means birdie or at worst par. I will take that everytime.

On the treadmill? hahahah

It is draining. I feel good though. I think I built up a decent enough base so this program wont kill me haha

Ha! It is really darn brutal though. In a good way. One thing that struck me about that routine, if I was sore after day 1, day 3 wasn't really affected by the soreness. The mix of barbell, body weight, and dumbbells mix it up nicely

2.5 Miles on the Mill this morning completed Wk 3 Day 3 starting Wk 4 Day 1 next run. Really looking forward to it.

Nice man. Glad the motivation is high. Exercise inertia is a real thing

Ha! It is really darn brutal though. In a good way. One thing that struck me about that routine, if I was sore after day 1, day 3 wasn't really affected by the soreness. The mix of barbell, body weight, and dumbbells mix it up nicely

That is what I am most impressed with. That and how quick, yet effective the workouts are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back