What's your go to shot?

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What's your go to shot when your round starts getting away from you?

Say you're in the middle of a decent round and you make the turn and something's changed, you're off kilter and starting to spray the ball a little or a lot. What is your reset move? What is your go to shot to regain your composure?

For me it's the knock down, it resets my position at impact and I can limp my way around the course with it and still salvage the round in most cases until I can get back to the range and figure it out.

hahaha mine is funny. I simply think "pound it" I swing from my heels and it actually usually gets me back on track. Weird.

Natural swing, and play a massive cut.

Funny you mention the knockdown, because I do pretty much the same. More club, partial swing. One of my best rounds of the year last year was in terrible wind where I had to hit a bunch of those shots. It was accurate consistent. Probably a lesson to be learned there.

Shorten the iron swing, accept the shorter distance but usually leads to better contact and can help weather the storm.

This is something that I really, really need with a driver. I struggle off the tee like no one's business so having something semi-reliable would be a game changer for me. I could resort to hitting 3w or hybo off of the tee, but it's just not as fun. I don't have one with the irons because I usually don't struggle enough with the irons to have one.

Try to shorten my swing and narrow my stance--just try to put a controlled swing on it. Don't know if it's the recommended thing to do, but it helps. Sometimes.

This is a good question. I don't think I have a particular shot but more of a swing thought. Solid contact. Once I get that in my head I will be back on track and finish the round strong.

Mines not necessarily a shot, but rather 2 swing thoughts:

1) maintain flex in right knee
2) keep eye on ball

Good things seem to always happen when I do these 2 things correctly.

Mine is usually to club down. My round goes AWOL off the tee, so taking a 3 wood instead of driver will get me back to a good place and my rounds usually stop taking on water that way, until I got back to driver. It's an endless cycle that I hope to break this year.

I go to a more punchy shot. Ball back a bit and just more than a half swing. Promotes more solid contact for me and even if it doesn't bring the game back, can nurse it home.

Me would be make sure I keep my eye on the ball and try and relax as much as I can while swinging slower. I feel if I start spraying them I start tensing up and start swinging faster.

Back in my stance knock down shots get me back in line.

With irons its a 3/4 swing. Keep it as simple as possible. Off the tee, ill tee it low and attack the ball as I would off the fairway.

Mostly though, when I'm off I need to reset and focus on my tempo. It always comes back to staying loose and keeping good tempo for me

sent without the boss's knowledge...

Depends on "how bad" it's getting.... if it's just a slight miss here or there I just take a step back, tell my self to breath & release my grip pressure. I've noticed when things get crazy I am choking the life out of the club with my grip and I need to loosen that up.

If it's just one of those days where it isnt going to get put back in place, It's my 7iron. I think nice 3/4 swing with tempo and live with the distance loss, but keeping it in play. Funny thing is when it's getting ugly, the wedges & putter seem to save the day.

As already been mentioned. I slow things down and deal with distance loss. When things get harder I find it gets better by going easier. "less is more" in many ways. But its not always easy to do.

I definitely try to focus more on solid contact, slow the swing down and focus on hitting nice solid shots. If I try to fix it and analyze mid round it gets even worse. Keep it simple.

I usually try to speed up, thinking too much gets me in trouble. Perhaps that is why I am an average golfer.

When I need a "reset", I will pull the driver out and take a few really hard practice swings.
Then a couple of 3/4 swings and that seems to get me back to where I need to be.

I"m a big fan of the club up with a 3/4 swing, ball on my back foot and close up the club face. helps me get solid contact and cure my slice.

What is your reset move? What is your go to shot to regain your composure?

7 iron off the tee, 7 iron approach, 7 iron chip. For some reason I can pretty much bogey a hole when my swing is off with my 7i. Usually gets my swing back in groove too. I think it has something to do with fixing my tempo because I'm hitting multiple shot types with the same club.

When I start to get out of whack, I slow down my backswing. It usually works to get things back in line.

Typically, if I start missing shots, I'll start getting a little quick on my swing and not even realize it. Slowing everything down gets me back in rhythm, and even if I'm missing the ball the results are not as bad with a slower swing. I can at least keep everything in play during the round.

Back