So now Im apparently a mallet guy...scary!

Badger_Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
For the longest time Ive been a mallet hater. I tried a few and never found any that I liked the feel off. Id read all the talk about how forgiving they are and all that but never found one I liked.
Well, recently I was at a local golf shop looking at putters and I came across a used Bettinardi A-02. I gave it a few putts on their indoor green and it worked pretty well. For whatever reason, I put it back on the shelf and didnt buy it.
Well, for the past 2 days I did a lot of reading about mallet putters. I read all about MOI, forgivness on offcenter hits and how mallets are better for SBST putting strokes and blah, blah, blah; so I decided to take a chance on the Bettinardi.
Thus far, Im loving it. I still hate the looks of a mallet but Im putting the ball truer and better than I ever have; which tells me that I need to get over the looks and forget about blade putters.
Not to mention its nice to have a Mizzy putter back in the bag and at $79 it was a good deal. I traded my Wilson Di7s and Cleveland Classic 1 in on it, which paid for the putter with $20 left over. No complaints there!

Sweet! I was so anti-mallet's as well man. Without a shadow of doubt, I am now a better putter.

Glad you found something you like! There is just something about them that works!! Eyeing an eBay auction that ends tomorrow morning and I may pickup another!!

Tappin' from my iPad!

I was anti-mallet forever until last year, that is until I picked up the Spider Vicino. After that, I realized that there was more than just blades. Currently rolling a Corza Ghost, and love it. If it works, it works...right?

I am in the same exact boat. Always rolled an Anser putter, but I needed the forgiveness and MOI.

---
- Sent from my iPhone, so please ignore my horrid spelling mistakes.

I with everyone here. Just got a new mallet putter and love it.

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Sweet! I was so anti-mallet's as well man. Without a shadow of doubt, I am now a better putter.
Yeah, its kind of crazy actually. I dont know if its the fact that this one resembles an Anser (but with much more mass behind the ball) but its like Bob Bettinardi made this putter just for me.
Im pretty sure that I can get past the looks if it continues to work well for me. Its still has a fairly classy look to it for a mallet. Its not crazy like some of those huge mallets that look like a spaceship.
I just look at the science behind it and as much as I love the looks of an Anser it just doesnt make sense to me why I wouldnt use a mallet putter.

Mallets FTW! Glad to hear you enjoy your new putter, I have never rolled a Bettinardi before.

I think I am in the same boat. I'm still trying to find an Si3 on the Bay for a price I want to pay! I've never been a mallet guy either.

Mallets FTW! Glad to hear you enjoy your new putter, I have never rolled a Bettinardi before.
Theyre nice. Basically they are in the same league as a Cameron but cost about half as much or less. Ive owned a couple Bettinardis now (C-06 and now an A-02) and they a high-quality, very soft-feeling putter.

I think I am in the same boat. I'm still trying to find an Si3 on the Bay for a price I want to pay! I've never been a mallet guy either.

Hope you find one. I actually checked Ebay in the past for a deal on a Sabretooth or a White Hot XG but never really found any good deals on them. They were all in the $120+ range.

I tried rolling a few mallets once... mostly TaylorMades. Unfortunately, the feel just wasn't there for me with the increased mass. I was putting minutely better (mosty turning a lag from 3 feet to 2.5), but not enough to give up the feel of a blade. Although I won't say no to a smaller, mid-mallet (like the SC Del Mar), I still prefer blades. All the power to you guys though, for finding the right putter

I am in the same exact boat. Always rolled an Anser putter, but I needed the forgiveness and MOI.

---
- Sent from my iPhone, so please ignore my horrid spelling mistakes.

Exactly why I switched too buddy

---
- ^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

I used to hate mallets too and resisted the 2-ball temptation when it first came out. But I actually like the look of the DART I recently got and have been kicking myself for all the strokes I could have saved with a mallet in the past.

I wasnt completely anti, but I had trouble liking them. Now I use a mallet, and a belly, and I am a better putter also.

Maybe if you didnt only try taylormades, you might have been able to find something that you like?
I tried rolling a few mallets once... mostly TaylorMades. Unfortunately, the feel just wasn't there for me with the increased mass. I was putting minutely better (mosty turning a lag from 3 feet to 2.5), but not enough to give up the feel of a blade. Although I won't say no to a smaller, mid-mallet (like the SC Del Mar), I still prefer blades. All the power to you guys though, for finding the right putter

Had the first round with the mallet today and overall Im pleased with it thus far. Im still working on feel for distance control with it but Im definetly rolling the ball truer than I ever have. I didnt have any 3-putts today and even on putts that were 20' or more my 2nd putt was always less than 5 feet.

I also found short putts to be much easier, I just need to work on control distance so that I can get my lag putts closer to the hole. 5 feet is still somewhat of a nervous distance for a par putt.

Maybe if you didnt only try taylormades, you might have been able to find something that you like?

Oh... it wasn't just TMs. I tried out Odyssey Black 2-balls, SC Kombis, Pings, you name it. I just prefer the feel of the blade; the mallet feels a little too heavy at contact. Even though I have an SBST stroke, the blade seems to really work better for me.

Plus, I have a fairly repeating stroke, so I don't really need the forgiveness a mallet offers

I have played a few rounds of 9 with my spider and I am really pleased with its performance. That thing really rolls it true. What is really surprising me is the lag putting aspect of it. My speed isn't exactly on, but it is far easier to lag one than I thought it would be. I am so glad I made the switch. I have the Morgan Cup to thank for pushing me over the line as well as TC and Biggsy. I guess my SC is officially my art putter now and is going to be relegated to The Collection.

I've been using a Yes! Carolyne for the last 6 months or so, but last week I picked up a Wilson Staff Vizor and I have to say even though I'm not crazy about the looks the results were immediate. After a couple of hours on the putting green I'm rolling the ball much better and when I played a round Saturday with it I was really impressed. Sad to say I am going to have to divorce Carolyne.

Back