How do you hit 200 yards?

200 is my 5-iron. I'm much more accurate with it off the tee on a par 3 than an approach into a par 4 but that doesn't come up too often.

On par 4's where your average driver is going to put you in the 200 range, consider hitting 3w off the tee and have that leave you 3w distance into the green. Also, I guess if you are 200 out, think about distance to front of green and distance to back of green. I think the avg green is about 30-35 yards deep. So, instead of thinking about 200, think about 185 or 215. If your 3w is a 230 club, maybe a choked down 3w is 215. All of this, of course, depends on whether there is trouble long or short. Pin position would be a secondary thought to where the trouble is located.

Also, if it's a course you play regular, you may figure out that there are certain clubs that rarely get used on that course, due to it's setup. If that is the case, a 2H or a 5W could go in your bag on those days

How do you hit 200 yards?

3h - carry on that is about 190 and straight as an arrow for me.

But I usually only see 190-210 on very long par 4s or par 5s. Maybe twice a round?

Last round I played from 6600 yds had two par 3s over 200yds. Rather than missing a 3w badly (wasn't hitting that well lately), I hit the 3h to the safest spot possible and worked for par.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Take my 4iron,
take a swing,
and then have do it again from 199yards.
Then from 198....
Eventually i move up to the 5iron and so on.

No but really, a 4iron for me. While still not very good at golf I dont spray like i use to so as long as tsruck well enough should get me close if not the ocassional on. Doesnt mean i cant screw it up badly to. But from the fairway with a good look and no forced carry I'm hitting my 4i all day or making a solid attempt to do so.

Usually a 4H (24˚), but 200 is the edge of my range with that club. Depending on the conditions, I might go with a 5I or a choked up 5W.

200 is a scary shot for me. I pull a 19* 3H and hope for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be my mashie M4 or "Bacon" as I use my THP bacon head cover on it.

Since I don't carry hybrids, a 3 wood gets me +/- 200 yards. I put a 4 iron in my bag yesterday and hoping it will take up that chore.

200 yards??? Not a problem ... two well struck pitching wedges ... if I try to hit a "long" club there is no telling where my second shot into the green will be from ...

That really depends on whether I'm trying to carry it 200 yards or 200 yards with roll. At that distance, I'm not wanting to carry it 200 yards to a green. The odds of me hitting that straight aren't great, and I don't want to be 20+ yards past the green. So I'm thinking anywhere from 3 to 5 iron, depending on how much roll I think I'll get.

~Rock

Probably a 4 or 5 iron depending on the day.

But I'm not sure why the OP is playing from a tee box that requires him to hit 200 yard approaches to Par-4's. They state they can hit a fairway wood 230, but have a lot of their approach shots from 200 yards. I'm not sure why they wouldn't move up a couple of tee boxes and find a yardage that allows them to hit a 7 iron or something..

4 iron most of the time, 5 iron or 3 iron depending on wind direction.

I'm just curious how you guys do it.

I can hit less. Easy.

I can hit more. 230+ with a fairway wood but it's hard to be precise.

Yet on Par 4s, I often find myself 200 yards out and it's an awkward but common distance for me. So I'm just curious how you guys hit it--clubs, swing percentage, etc--and if you are accurate in that range.

The bold above is what intrigues me. I can't think of a par 4 that I have been 200 out unless I top a tee ball like last Sunday.

Anyway, if I have a true 200 to the green I will hit my 4hybrid, any chance of a penalty I will hit 6iron as any club longer than my 6 iron I have lost confidence.

The bold above is what intrigues me. I can't think of a par 4 that I have been 200 out unless I top a tee ball like last Sunday.

Anyway, if I have a true 200 to the green I will hit my 4hybrid, any chance of a penalty I will hit 6iron as any club longer than my 6 iron I have lost confidence.

The only other exception I can think off or me is a hole I play around here that plays uphill the whole way. On days where the wind is in my face if I get the driver up too high it's a 3 shot hole.

200 yards flat, no wind, probably my hybrid, which usually carries about 200 and lands soft from a decent lie. Downhill or a decent wind at the back, a full 5i. Into the wind, or uphill, probably a 5W. It can be difficult shot for me and I'm happy if I get it close enough for a possible up and down most of the time. Thankfully I usually don't see it more than once or twice a round.

80% 9 wood, 75% chance of finding the green

Hybrid for me unless wind is helping a bit I can step on a 5iron.

A lot of 200 yard 5 irons in here. Guess I need to go work on my ball striking.

EDIT: That sounds a little crappy. Wasn't trying to come off like that, I'd just like to get to the point where that's how far I can hit a 5 iron accurately.

Really depends on the course and how I am feeling. 200 or so is my 3 hybrid but some days this doesn't work for me so I don't even try it. Lately 4 iron and if I can hit well and not try and kill it I can get at least 180 out of it. My theory is that I feel so much better with a wedge than hybrid or long iron in my hands. Short and no penalty is Ok for me

23.5 hybrid, that's my 200 club.

That's a smooth 5 iron for me in most cases....and straight, as I don't usually miss much with my 5 iron.

Break out a 4 or 5 iron depending on the lie, elevation, wind and conditions. Also take a look at the slope of the green. I know it sounds easy but my iron play is the strongest aspect of my game.

A lot of 200 yard 5 irons in here. Guess I need to go work on my ball striking.

EDIT: That sounds a little crappy. Wasn't trying to come off like that, I'd just like to get to the point where that's how far I can hit a 5 iron accurately.

It all depends on sets and lofts too. There are a few sets out there that have the 5 iron the exact same loft as my 4 iron. With my current set I would need wind or downhill to hit 200 with 5 iron its more 185-190 on normal conditions. some of the new "distance sets" have 23 or 24* 5 iron !

Usually a smooth 5 iron, depending on uphill or pin position.

Back