When do you peak?

DCSerafin

Reaction score
Handicap
So, looking at my GHIN History, and just knowing from what I have done in the past, my game starts to peak in late July and into August. Living in the northeast, I guess this is to be expected.

So my question is when does your game peak and what do you do during the off-season to start off the new season without having those rounds that are above your average (not capability, which is your index)?

I would love to have a year that doesn't have those nasty inconsistant rounds. That would mean 90's player, with no 100's; 80's with no 90's+, etc. This would result having 20 entered GHIN Scores all similar. Is this even possible? Am I over analyzing things?

Last year, it was November.

We have a off season here in Indiana from mid to late November to early April and I do not hit clubs at all. I do other things in the off season.

In the spring, we always have very wet conditions at the start but things get normal by mid May. I usually have my game pretty well back by then. We also never start posting scores until May first.

consistency sometimes sets in after the summer...otherwise its up and down the rest of the season

Not really sure. This is my first real full season of pure golf but I would say I was red hot in july. Breaking 80 twice in the month and I should have broke it twice again this past.

This winter is going to suck..

The last 3 season have a few things in common:
1. Early in the year, I feel like I hit the ball good enough to be in the top 100 in the world. However, I can't shoot under par to save my life.
2. Come late June, I start hitting the ball worse but I put in good scores.
3. July/August I play really, really good. Without hitting the ball well.

Shows how much the short game and putting means. It is everything.

consistency sometimes sets in after the summer...otherwise its up and down the rest of the season

What is consistency? Seems like my scores are good then bad then good then bad. Right now I am in a good cycle. We'll see what happens next time.

The only thing consistent with my scores is that they are very inconsistent.

The last 3 season have a few things in common:
1. Early in the year, I feel like I hit the ball good enough to be in the top 100 in the world. However, I can't shoot under par to save my life.
2. Come late June, I start hitting the ball worse but I put in good scores.
3. July/August I play really, really good. Without hitting the ball well.

Shows how much the short game and putting means. It is everything.

Amen. This is why my scores are going up. My ball striking is better than ever but my putting isn't keeping up with my progress elsewhere.

Just before football season normally, but I have been playing some great golf during it this year.

I seem to peak during almost every round, usually happens right after I have thrown away any chance of posting a great score.

Almost every year it seems I peak around late July early August but this season I am currently peaking according to my past 6 or 7 rounds. Our club championship is this weekend so I hope to keep the good rounds going for at least another week. My ball striking has been up and down all season but the one thing that is on point right now is my short game. Getting up and down is the key to low scores as long as you can keep the ball in play.

i've certainly started to play much better over the last 45 days.i've went from 9.1 to 6.7 but i only started back in april after a 4 year layoff and 8 years previous to that.i'll try and practise as much as possible over the winter months so hopefully i'll be good from the start of the season.thats the plan anyway.

I would have to say late summer as this has been my best month ever in golf and I usually play well up until it gets cold in January.

Usually mid september, right in the heart of varsity season baby!

I seem to peak during almost every round, usually happens right after I have thrown away any chance of posting a great score.

Same for me.

I have only been golfing for a few years and every month seems to get better though my improvement seems to accelerate around this time when conditions are perfect and I can play a lot and take it for granted. The more excited I am to play, the worse I am.

1969------

July & August, my game starts to go down hill as the weather gets cooler, by December until March it is fairly pitiful.

Same for me.

I have only been golfing for a few years and every month seems to get better though my improvement seems to accelerate around this time when conditions are perfect and I can play a lot and take it for granted. The more excited I am to play, the worse I am.

For me it's a "comfort zone" thing I think. I guess I'm just more comfortable making escape shots than I am from the fairway.

I have kept track of my average scores for several years and the pattern is pretty well established. Winter here is really wet or sometimes greens are frozen. I play in mud, ice, cold, wind, etc during the winter months but scores go up to average of 82-84. When it dries up and warms up, my average score goes to 79 and stays 79-80 until winter. What is encouraging to me is that the YEARLY average is going down a little each year.

When do you peak?

I wanted to say several things here, haha. I'm currently peaking, or depends on the blood alcohol count, but I will keep in context. About this time every year or just a few week earlier. Still shooting some good scores now, but fall fishing, hunting and pool tournaments start this weekend, so lots on my mind. New job will screw up a lot of that this year.

I usually peak in October. In the winter I go to a heated driving range as long as its not too cold (below 20 degrees) and I practice chipping and putting on my living room carpet.
For chipping practice I try chipping whiffle golf balls into a small trash can. Its not the same as using real golf balls on a practice green but its still good practice.

Usually right about now to into Sept. Often times during summer I have a 2-3 week layoff of golf during the hottest part of the summer since my schedule doesn't allow for early morning rounds typically. I usually start playing in April, sometimes you can get an early round in during March but the ground is still pretty soggy then even if the temps are nice. During the off season I will sometimes hit the driving range temp depending, sometimes I'll goof off with wiffle balls in the basement with wedges or roll balls in the loft into a cup on our carpet up there. But largely it's spent drooling over new gear and swearing I'll find more time to get out golfing in the upcoming season.

Back