How do you determine what tees to play?

I merge a few like threads dealing with tees, yardage and the tee you play.

This weekend, the course I am playing on has tees at 7,300 yards. I determined not to play those tees based on the fact that I can not hit the ball very far.

I played in a 3 - man scramble at our new course during Christmas. Thought I was going to hop right on up to the senior tees and have some fun. Wrong! I had to play the back tees. Age 65 - 70 play the white tees and 70 + senior or gold tees. Our course is not long however 13 holes you have elevated shots into the greens. Makes the course play at least a club longer than the yardage during nice weather. You add cold weather and wind, up to two clubs or more.The funny thing is we have a guy who is 71 at my course who pounds it past me :bulgy-eyes:. He's a freak of nature! I'm 62 years old and hit a decent ball and this old basta*d blows it by me by 25 + yards :banghead:

It's between the Blue and White tees for me, depending on distance and slope. Generally, the White tees are where I play from. Some courses have started moving the White tees back and have a few tees forward of them. If that's the case, I play whatever puts me around 6,000 - 6,500, as I can usually handle most slope ratings with that distance. Some courses also set up a tee system where you tee off on the Blues or Whites, depending on the hole. That's usually pretty fun and I'll do that if thay have it.

On my home course, it's the blue tees. But, with recent back issues, I just didn't play as much as I used to. When I started playing again a few months ago, everything was out of sync so after a couple of rounds I told my dad "I am moving up on the tee box until I get my game back." There are some tough holes out there from the tips so it was easy for me to get POed at my game so I made the decision to enjoy playing until I round into shape.

I base it off yardage of the course, mostly between 6200-6800 but a few I've played have some ridiculous carries off the tee and I'll move up on those holes or play the shorter tees all round.

I play on the back tees on one of the courses I play on, and the other courses. I play the ones before the blacks.

Saw this while surfing the web this morning and thought of this thread. I guess I pretty much have to agree with the findings. According to it I should play at about 5940 yards, I always look to play the tees that are closest to 6000 when I play.

Here's another general guideline for choosing the distance at which to play a golf course: Take your average 5-iron distance (be honest!), multiply by 36, and choose the tees that most closely match that yardage. Example: You hit your 5-iron 150 yards. So 150 times 36 equals 5,400. Choose the tees closest to 5,400 yards in length.

Playing with two friends tomorrow and a person they know. I got a text earlier saying "We are playing the white tees tomorrow". I responded why, and got the because so and so needs to.
I then said, we all don't have to, that is why they make different tees. This is what was said back to me, "True, we could make him feel bad about playing from the whites and we play blues".

If your skill or distance is not high enough to play from a back set of tees, should the entire group have to move up and club down all day?
Does a player "feel bad" by playing a forward tee?
Should your entire playing group play from the same set of tees?

I don't get this mind set at all. I am not saying "Im playing the tips", blue and white are only one set different. Not a big deal one way or the other, but I don't get the feel bad part....

Everyone should play the tees that they want to play if it's a casual round. I've never understood the mentality that an entire group has to play the same tees.

I am that player that should be playing from the white tees. I do not feel bad about it, it is where my game is at right now. If anything, I feel bad about better players having to wait on me. I say play from where you want, let them play from where they want and if they "feel bad" about the whites then it's their problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not think everyone needs to play the same tees and I have explained this to friends numerous time that they should play up and I will gladly play from their with them(it's fun every once in a while) I've also played with strangers that think they need to play back with me and I can see it's less fun for them when it's too long.

I think everyone needs to play what they are comfortable with regardless of where others are teeing it up.

I usually play from the tips about everywhere I go but I will occasionally move up and play with the rest of my group if they are playing a shorter set of tees. In the past year I have played tees ranging from 5300 to over 7300 and had fun every time that I teed it up.

Saw this while surfing the web this morning and thought of this thread. I guess I pretty much have to agree with the findings. According to it I should play at about 5940 yards, I always look to play the tees that are closest to 6000 when I play.

Here's another general guideline for choosing the distance at which to play a golf course: Take your average 5-iron distance (be honest!), multiply by 36, and choose the tees that most closely match that yardage. Example: You hit your 5-iron 150 yards. So 150 times 36 equals 5,400. Choose the tees closest to 5,400 yards in length.

This gives me 6300 yards, which is about what I shoot for. Anywhere between 6000 and 6500 is usually fine, more is usually pushing it, and above 6700 is usually starting to get painful. This is at sea level in warm conditions, of course - if it's 50* or less, I'm trying to play a little shorter, and if I'm at a high elevation I can usually manage 6700 just fine.

Playing with two friends tomorrow and a person they know. I got a text earlier saying "We are playing the white tees tomorrow". I responded why, and got the because so and so needs to.
I then said, we all don't have to, that is why they make different tees. This is what was said back to me, "True, we could make him feel bad about playing from the whites and we play blues".

If your skill or distance is not high enough to play from a back set of tees, should the entire group have to move up and club down all day?
Does a player "feel bad" by playing a forward tee?
Should your entire playing group play from the same set of tees?

I don't get this mind set at all. I am not saying "Im playing the tips", blue and white are only one set different. Not a big deal one way or the other, but I don't get the feel bad part....

I got paired with a group while in Myrtle Beach last weekend and all 4 of us played a different set of tees. Myself on the Back tees with a newly retired man from Cali on the next tees up and an elderly coulpe playing the next two set of tees up.

I usually look at the par 3's. If the yardages on the par 3's are such that I'd need long irons every time, I'll move up.

i just stay in the 6000 yard range or a little more. 7000 yards is a fun challenge from time to time, but not on a steady diet.

Usually by who I am playing with. If I am out as a single and the course is somewhat slow I'll play from the tips.

I prefer to keep it <6300 yds. I've loss a good bit of difference the last couple of years. Having major knee surgery took a chunk out of my length off the tee and with rest if my bag. There are two holes at my course where I have to hit driver & 2 hybrid or 3-wood on par four holes. It kind of takes the fun out of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll play all the way back if I'm solo or with my money group, otherwise ill play whatever tees the group prefers.

Why does your decision to play a tee reside on where the group plays?

Why does your decision to play a tee reside on where the group plays?

Just for continuity and comraderie. Sometimes people get a little put off when you insist on playing championship when they re at the whites. Just want everyone to feel comfortable. It offers another view of the course that I may not get otherwise also.

I have lived long enough to be a dirty old man and to play the senior tees. I intend to take advantage of both whenever I can./

Back