Mizuno MP-69 Irons Preview

Thank you all for your welcome and thank you Thainer for your gracious apology. I actually do plan on trying out some newer cavity back clubs for next season and see how they affect my game. I've been looking at Ralph Maltby's MFP charts and want to try some club heads that he offers.

If I had been able to afford a higher end set of cavity backs when I bought my used Mizuno's, they may have advanced me more quickly than the Mizuno's but to date none of the one's I have tried have that same buttery feeling when you pure the ball. I would LOVE to give these MP-69's a try sometime.

I someday hope to enjoy this butter that everybody talks about when playing golf. I like to think I have tried a lot of irons, but I have never felt it before. I am quite a fan of toast and the more butter on it the better, so my gut feeling is that I would love it during my golf rounds as well.

I someday hope to enjoy this butter that everybody talks about when playing golf. I like to think I have tried a lot of irons, but I have never felt it before. I am quite a fan of toast and the more butter on it the better, so my gut feeling is that I would love it during my golf rounds as well.

Its a by-product of Grain Flow Forging, when playing my Mizuno wedges, I will pure a ball and then take the "butter" and put it on a cinnamon raisin bagel.

Do you think that the idea that blades feel better when struck cleanly, comes from an ingrained myth? Similar to the forged vs cast idea that forged are softer.

I played blades for years and loved every minute of it. I played MP14s, then MP 33s and then a mixed set. I don't think blades can be consider a game improvement club. I also don't think you should be standing over the ball trying to hit the sweet spot. If you are then maybe something that doesn't make you think so much is better for your game. If blades improved your game, great. But the average golfer is going to get more from a forgiving set of cavity backs.
As much as I like the look of the new line of Mizunos and think I could play them, I think it would cost me two shots a side.

I have pured all kinds of irons. Blades and cavities alike. I guess I can't say that one felt any better than the other.

I've been looking at Ralph Maltby's MFP charts...

I couldn't resist googling this. All I can say is, 'I want that 30 minutes of my life back!'.

Not sure how I missed this thread. Beautiful looking iron but I think once I reached the 6I I would be very inconsistent. Gorgeous clubs in the bag though.

Absolutely gorgeous club...after gaming my oversized cheap GI irons for a bit, I've been wanting to try my hand at a blade iron...Mizuno really knows how to make a good looking club. If I wasn't such a TaylorMade fan, I'd be looking at these even closer...I'm currently looking at trying out the TP MB / MC irons. I do tend to think that any club that will make one concentrate on ball striking and not just killing the ball is a good investment. Even if my handicap suffers at first because of it...

Awesome looking clubs and a very interesting thread. This is why I like THP... real discussions by fellow golfers (who don't always agree!); not marketing-talk from people trying to sell products.

Absolutely gorgeous club...after gaming my oversized cheap GI irons for a bit, I've been wanting to try my hand at a blade iron...Mizuno really knows how to make a good looking club. If I wasn't such a TaylorMade fan, I'd be looking at these even closer...I'm currently looking at trying out the TP MB / MC irons. I do tend to think that any club that will make one concentrate on ball striking and not just killing the ball is a good investment. Even if my handicap suffers at first because of it...

Don't let one company dominate your bag unless it they are actually the best for you. Search around, expand, get fitted. The results may surprise you. Also, I wouldn't suggest a blade for someone that was previously gaming oversize GI irons. The sweet spot is so much smaller. I have been dubbed a "pretty good ball striker" by a couple local pros and still can't handle blades. But I'm not saying don't try, just don't buy them without trying them out for a good bit first. Hope I made myself clear, not trying to be condescending if that's how I came off.

BDG

Don't let one company dominate your bag unless it they are actually the best for you. Search around, expand, get fitted. The results may surprise you. Also, I wouldn't suggest a blade for someone that was previously gaming oversize GI irons. The sweet spot is so much smaller. I have been dubbed a "pretty good ball striker" by a couple local pros and still can't handle blades. But I'm not saying don't try, just don't buy them without trying them out for a good bit first. Hope I made myself clear, not trying to be condescending if that's how I came off.

BDG

No problem, no condescension felt! And you are right, I do need to search around. I'll be hitting lots of irons....CBs and blades mostly...I just want a bit more feedback on where I'm hitting my irons on the face...the GI irons are forgiving, yes, but I think that more feedback will make me a better golfer...

I went ahead and jumped into my Mizuno's without trying them but I DID buy them used; complete set 3-P for $135 via Ebay. Whoever had them before me was a phenominal ball striker, each club has a dime size wear mark right on the sweet spot.

Nice review of some of the prettiest clubs!
JB what is grain forged or forging? How is this process different from other forging

Nice review of some of the prettiest clubs!
JB what is grain forged or forging? How is this process different from other forging

It depends on who you ask. Some say it is a process that Mizuno uses to make their clubs feel softer and sound better. Others say it is a marketing term. I am on the latter side of the fence. No different than Titleist using the term Spin Milled or other companies using other buzz words.

Nice write up JB....pretty timely since somebody could get these for Christmas tonight too!!

Thanks for all the info, JB. I'd love to give those 59's a swing. I've got a set of irons that have hit me with some horrible glare and I always wonder why that isn't addressed by companies.

Good review JB. One of these babies will be my next set, once I manage to get the funds together.

That's a great write up jb. I agree about the grain flow thingy, just a term to sell some sticks.

Back