Cleveland 588 Wedges - Everything You Need To Know

Lots of excitement over these. No doubt they will be rock solid simply based on how Cleveland is laying down some of the best stuff out there right now.

Can't wait to try these out. I'll need a LOT of help to decide about all the options!

OMG I just watched the video. That look at address is like going to the 20 year high school reunion and your old girlfriend comes in still looking hawt!! I am sorry Nike but you will be vacating the bag soon!:drool:

OMG I just watched the video. That look at address is like going to the 20 year high school reunion and your old girlfriend comes in still looking hawt!! I am sorry Nike but you will be vacating the bag soon!:drool:

OK - that is the best description yet - perfect!

You are such a club ho its silly. But I too will be getting these wedges.

Regardless of how much of a club ho any of us are, I would be willing to bet a ton of people add this to their bag. I very well may. Love the shape.

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

As soon as I set it down, I said the same thing. I turned to GG before we started the video camera and said, its like I went back and time and found my beautiful wedges again. As I said in the radio show, there are some reasons I love these so much and one of them is that they were the first non-set wedges I ever bought myself.

As soon as I set it down, I said the same thing. I turned to GG before we started the video camera and said, its like I went back and time and found my beautiful wedges again. As I said in the radio show, there are some reasons I love these so much and one of them is that they were the first non-set wedges I ever bought myself.

I am pretty sure I went from Spaulding Executives to the 588's. It was a bit of an upgrade:banana:

I am. It's just impossible sometimes to resist.:beauty:

Ugh. I still haven't got to watch the video. Gonna try to find a place with good cell service in this building so I can watch.

I can't wait to see the custom wedge options and to tinker with them when that site goes live, that paired with the black pearl option sound like a lot of fun can be had making a custom setup.

Hey JB have you had a chance to put together some thoughts on the new shaft offering yet? Is this a seemingly hybrid of the two current popular wedge shafts or something uniquely different? Sorry to compare it to something different but its all I have to go of of.

--
tapatalk

Hey JB have you had a chance to put together some thoughts on the new shaft offering yet? Is this a seemingly hybrid of the two current popular wedge shafts or something uniquely different? Sorry to compare it to something different but its all I have to go of of.

--
tapatalk

No, but I will today. Its getting a workout today.

What's the over/under on how many swings before you decide these are going in the bag permanently???

Normally for wedges, its about 30.

No, but I will today. Its getting a workout today.

I can't wait to see your thoughts on these after the workout.

I tapped, I talked.

Normally for wedges, its about 30.

Just curious, for wedges what is your criteria for putting in the bag? In other words, what do you prioritize? For me it is:
*** Looks - I need to like the way they look at address otherwise I won't play them. I do not like what looks like a sharp leading edge. I need some bounce to help with solid contact.
*** Clubhead feel - I need to feel the clubhead which I find helps with chipping around the green. I also like a softer feel off of the clubface.
*** Ability to vary trajectory on partial shots. I miss lots of greens, so I have to have confidence that I can hit the ensuing chip/pitch low or high depending on what the shot requires.

I don't worry about forgiveness too much. I either put pretty decent swings on a shot, or bad ones - no in between. The bad ones are usually bad enough that no amount of forgiveness would help too much.

I recently put in Wilson TW9 wedges into my bag. I like them for 1 and 3, and mostly for 2. But I am finding out that I sometimes have trouble on full swings and am hitting the ball thin. I think this is due to losing clubhead feel on the fuller swings - not sure. They may also be too upright - I need to get the lie angles checked and/or flattened.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

Ironically, I am the exact opposite. I dont really care much about what a club looks like and I think "feel" is one of the overrated terms in golf equipment today. For me, its all about performance. With every single thing in my bag, it outperformed what it was replacing. Because many wedges are similar, other factors come into play which is versatility for my game, full shots to fill gaps, and partial shots and how the ball reacts (usually caused by weighting). Spin is another term in wedges that I find incredibly overrated. I have found that many many wedges spin nearly the same and when it comes down to it technique is behind it.

I could go on and on, but am on my phone at the range with this one.

So after 30-40 swings here is what I know right now.

1. The setup is truly a classic and is exactly what I remember from the love I had for this wedge previously.

I forgot how much I was missing in my wedges. This is not to take away from the Nikes or the Jaws wedges I have played over the last 3-4 months, but for my game they just do not work as well as these. The weighting seems absolutely perfect to me. One thing I have always struggled with in finding wedges is that I find some too head heavy and some too light. For years I played the wedges "I was supposed to play" until I learned about other options and finding that good balance for myself. Head heavy causes me to dig and too light causes me to thin. The perfect balance is something that gives the utmost confidence on every shot. 1/2, 1/4, full are all no problem.

This wedge has that perfect balance for my game and its something I have been searching for, for about a while. Played half the balls from the tight lie and half the balls from a cut of rough that was about 1 inch. Had no problem with the wedge in either area and did this with both full shots and 1/2 swings. There is no hesitation because of lack of balance and it is something I enjoyed quite a bit. The leading edge is absolutely perfect for me. I always thought that the CG15 had a great leading edge and this one might be even better. Sharp enough to get even the tightest lies, but not so sharp that it causes digging when it should not be there.

Lastly, I hit 5 balls out of the bunker. This is where I had flashbacks of the previous version. Its the wedges I learned to hit proper bunks shots with and its the reason I have enjoyed the bunkers since. It was like deja vu watching the leading edge go under with a splash and the balls fly up for a soft landing on the green. The bunkers were quite hard due to all the rain and it had no issues even with the mid-bounce that this wedge has.

All in all, its a good start. Its rare that I look forward to testing a wedge that much more, but this one I cannot wait to get back out there with.

Good to hear JB.. these sound like a winner

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

Ironically, I am the exact opposite. I dont really care much about what a club looks like and I think "feel" is one of the overrated terms in golf equipment today. For me, its all about performance. With every single thing in my bag, it outperformed what it was replacing. Because many wedges are similar, other factors come into play which is versatility for my game, full shots to fill gaps, and partial shots and how the ball reacts (usually caused by weighting). Spin is another term in wedges that I find incredibly overrated. I have found that many many wedges spin nearly the same and when it comes down to it technique is behind it.

I could go on and on, but am on my phone at the range with this one.

Other than looks, I think we are on the same page here. When I mentioned feel, I was referring mostly to ability to feel the clubhead throughout the swing so I could be precise on chips/small pitches. And the ability to vary trajectory links pretty nicely with your comments around versatility/ball reaction.

Have fun with the Clevelands this morning and looking forward to your update.

Great stuff JB. I've seen how good of a wedge player you are and once you have a wedge that you are 100% comfortable with on every shot it can be scary. I take it these feel lighter than the Jaws CC, which I found to be heavy.

Great stuff JB. I've seen how good of a wedge player you are and once you have a wedge that you are 100% comfortable with on every shot it can be scary. I take it these feel lighter than the Jaws CC, which I found to be heavy.

I wouldnt say lighter or heavier. Just more in balance if that makes sense.

I wouldnt say lighter or heavier. Just more in balance if that makes sense.

makes perfect sense to me

Back