Stack and Tilt - Experiences, Opinions, and Use

A friend who wants to try it with you is best. I have a buddy who is into it and we have filmed each other which was super helpful to me. I just wish I could get those great slow mo shots as our filming is about as good as our golfing. But having someone give you some feedback is invaluable - he wants the dvds when I am done watching them all. I have one more but think i need to watch more than once!

I used the DVD. It was myself and 2 others that decided to give it a run. None of us stuck with it because it just did not work with our bodies. Way too technical.

i'm just curious what does "way too technical" means? What is in this swing that is more technical than in "conventional" Or are you talking about their explanations?
I'm doing S&T basing on the book - didn't get DVDs yet. There is no more technicalities than in any conventional swing book...

I really didn't know that many people were still doing stack-n-tilt these days (well, at least not intentionally). Is it still going strong?

Let me start by saying Im not bashing S&T but I have to agree with the way too technical part. I read the book cover to cover twice and was having great success with my irons. For the first time I was making ball first contact on a pretty regular basis. I couldnt hit my woods/hybrids with the S&T swing to save my life though. (Maybe I should've stuck with it longer) But back to the way too technical part, for me I had too many swing thoughts. Inclination to the ground, hands inside, left tilt during backswing, hip slide on swing. But dont start my hip slide too soon or too late etc............I wasnt playing golf anymore I felt like a robot. I know alot of people bang on Sean Foley but I bought his DVD and although its short, Im having success with his principles and Im hitting my irons AND woods/hybrids pretty darn good right now. And he got my chipping under control. I know Foley came from the S&T camp so yes I guess I have S&T elements in my swing.

I had just read an article in Golf Digest about the S&T and decided to see what it was like and it was great...:banana:

Just a piece of advice - do not build your swing basing on the Golf Digest articles. They are misleading. While you do improve initially, they will teach you some bad habits.
I would really recommend to buy the book (if you didn't do it yet) and study the downswing chapter hard - you will realize how much you were missing.
Also to learn how to properly diagnose your errors is a must - most of the people are misdiagnosing their errors. Like someone here in this thread said that he is pulling because of too much tilt... IMHO it is nonsense.

i'm just curious what does "way too technical" means? What is in this swing that is more technical than in "conventional" Or are you talking about their explanations?
I'm doing S&T basing on the book - didn't get DVDs yet. There is no more technicalities than in any conventional swing book...

Im a feel golfer and prefer to keep it that way. I personally did find the S&T more technical than other techniques. I found the DVDs average and while it will work for some people (you included), it does not for many others. Being comfortable is part of the entire thing for me with golf. This is very uncomfortable for me and while I hit some good shots, I really struggled with clubs as they got longer over time.

I speak to a lot of people at a higher golf level than me that have tried it out and share similar thoughts. So clearly there are a few that dont care for it.

I really didn't know that many people were still doing stack-n-tilt these days (well, at least not intentionally). Is it still going strong?

Well, i don't care much if it does or not. I'm just happy I switched. I have recently realized that when i first started i was fighting this straight right leg, but now it is all natural to me.

@JB

I understand. My personal experience is a bit different because it seems to me i got through the technical stuff and i got this AHA-revelation kind of moment where every piece of puzzle came into place. I'm not saying I do it perfectly by any means, but I'm just not thinking anymore. I have one swing thought - left shoulder down on the backswing, right shoulder replaces the left on downswing. Boom! you can't do that without moving hips and your finish position and extension on the follow through will be just perfect.

Golf digest articles are very interesting and sometimes from one to the other, they contradict each other.

anyways, what I did instead that worked for me was to pretend that there was a medicine ball between my knees that I wanted to squeeze and not drop during the backswing, this kept by lower body from sliding and helped me keep my way inside the legs and thus it was easier for me to shift my weight during the downswing without sliding. It was way cheaper than buying a new dvd haha

...I really struggled with clubs as they got longer over time.

I had my dose of driver struggle as well. Now i'm 150% sure that this comes from incorrect understanding/execution of the swing. If you can't use the same motion for driver as you use for 7 iron - something is wrong with motion, not the concept.

I had my dose of driver struggle as well. Now i'm 150% sure that this comes from incorrect understanding/execution of the swing. If you can't use the same motion for driver as you use for 7 iron - something is wrong with motion, not the concept.

And while that may be true, it does not mean the concept is right for every golfer. If it was, more people would be using it and less would have abandoned it so quickly. As I said, as we have spoken to more and more golfers of higher abilities they share similar thoughts.

It is an interesting discussion you're raising here: I'm not sure if the S&T concept can be right for somebody and wrong for someone else. To me the concept can be either right or wrong, without relation to the person. But the concept application or implementation is what leads to "YMMV".
I know people are quick to judge and dismiss concepts, because the implementation sucks. That happens everywhere, not in golf swing theory only. I know for sure that people "of higher abilities" in anything are usually the first ones to dismiss concepts, because they just "know better" and sometimes they do that even if the implementation doesn't suck at all.

I think S&T concept is correct and does lead to the stated results (consistent ball flight, contact, shape etc) if implemented correctly.

BTW i don't know if it was already done or if it is possible to do but I think it would be great if you could organize some kind of interview with Andy and Mike so they could give some insight on the questions and concerns people are having here. I do believe you have some strings to pull, don't you?;)

If every swing worked well for every golfer, there would be only one swing. And for the record, almost ANY swing theory can say "If done correctly, you will see this". Just because someone does not agree with your (or their theories) does not mean they are "dismissing it". No offense is meant by this, but I kind of find that to be a slap in the face to the work we do here or the people we speak with.

As far as an interview with them, I am sure there are many publications and websites that would love to have that done. Unfortunately we will not be doing that on THP right now.

I'm sorry if I'm "too harsh on turns" - didn't mean to offend anybody. Love the discussion though and truly appreciate your time.

I did S&T for a couple of years and it does work. I just constantly fought with my driver. I hit down with a 7 iron and it's great. Not so great when I am doing it with a driver. I am now on t a different school of thought and will probably do something else in the future.
I am self taught and very average but very much enjoy working on my swing. I just kept hitting low left pulls n pushes with the driver. I actually have the DVD's and thought they were not technical enough for me. I was missing more detailed info eg: wrist and foot positions.
Also everything you see read or hear kinda does not apply to you as a S&T player which was a bummer too.

Interesting conversation folks.........Tried it today and hit the pure center of my new irons all day long. The driver was tough but I just distributed even weight to both sides with good tempo and it went straight and long. I guess what I'm saying is its up to the player to achieve desired results. Desired results are those results that give you the confidence to play well.⛳

Hey if I could have gotten the diver under control I would be all over S&T - it immediately mad a positive impact on my ball striking no question. I just needed more info on the driver swing and got frustrated by a lack of specifics and detail to get me out of the driver blues.

My technique is a bit stack & tilt-y for my irons. But I don't swing it the same way with the driver.

My current understanding of the driver shot vs irons in S&T is that there should be no difference. Generally speaking to me the most important detail is pretty steep shoulder turn. You must drive your left shoulder down and then i would say put you right shoulder to the exact same spot on the down swing where your left shoulder was. This is pretty much impossible without proper hips slide towards the target as well as hips turn. The key though is that you have to tuck your butt in this hips upthrusting motion, in order to bring the club out of its descent. So while not actually being vertical swing does feel a bit vertical because of steep shoulder turn.
Another good tip i found was from the golf evolution guys about throwing a boulder over the 10ft fence. Imagine or even try to do that in a golf swing kind of motion and that's how swing should feel. I mean of course the facts that you're going to counterweight the weight of the boulder by keeping your head back, but in order to throw it you will have to push up the hips. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaYRLdKk32U&list=UU7rdIi1b8OYuXbxE4Y4KJyw&index=4&feature=plcp

The same kind of counter balancing and other principles described by S&T (like spine extension) can be seen in hammer throwing motion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKZhRzOw3Wc

PS i don't really like what they show for driver swing, i.e. it is not exactly what Andy and Mike are saying in the book.

i hope that helps

Last edited:
The stack and tilt book actually changed my game for the better. I read Ben Hogans Fundamentals of Golf, tried it for a while,however, when I read the stack and tilt book it immediately paid off for me. Though I'm still on my path to par, I'd be much further away had it not been for this technique.

Finally!!! I got my SnT DVD 2.0 set!!! Now we talking!

The DVD2 is a huge improvement over the 1st especially for those who want things to be highly technical. The presentation and video are superior and this run is clearly professionally produced ( the first DVD set looks like a home video of 2 guys talking golf!). I still think it should have better scripted though :)

Best regards, Hawk

Agree! I went through the first and 3/4 of a second disc so far. It is pretty good and i noticed some differences comparing to what is written in the book. Some of the explanations are plain genius, like the whole idea of extending the spine, rotating and tilting left on the back swing. I showed it to one of my rookie friends and he was able to understand what's asked from him momentarily!
i can see the progress now - i was able to record quite good stretches of good around par golf, but still have those "two holes" that are screwing the whole round, when my old habits are crippling in... I still got some decent amount of work to do, and it will never end;)

BTW as i mentioned in the post above the explanation of the back swing motion does help a lot. I noticed that My problems with the driver were mostly due to the poor execution of the turn part.. I.e. I was flexing the left knee too much, therefore dipping the head, and i was getting all sorts of troubles. now I'm keeping my knee from flexing too much and i'm able to check that position using their method. As soon as i started to do that - driver started to work 10 times better!

I must say, I've viewed the discs however the book ,IMHO, explained the execution of everything better.

Back