lefty teaching lefty vs. righty teaching lefty

geneticistx

Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA-9.8
im a south paw and all the vids out there are for righty types. I have to constantly stop videos and think (weight on left foot means right foot) about what is being said, for example..

I found a lefty instructor up here in Toronto (Shawn Clement) and one of his senior instructors is a south paw as well. So, I start lessons on saturday.

Thoughts on dexterity specific teaching?

I've never understood the problems some apparently have with lefty/righty instruction. Maybe it's because I'm left handed and play right, maybe because of the hockey (which I'm told is why there's so many left handed players up here), but I'd think if someone could teach from one side, if they couldn't adjust to teaching from the other...they may not be the gurus they claim.

A video, a book...ok, those could get annoying to keep the sides straight. But in person, I'd hope an instructor could adjust.

I would think an instructor should easily be able teach either hand.

On a side note, I didn't know Clement was a lefty! Doesn't he do all his videos right handed?

apparently he is scratch shooting both ways!!
one of his senior instructors is a natural lefty.

Phil Mickelson's first teacher was his father who is righty. Phil himself is righty on everything else.
He learned golf by standing next to him and mimicking his father's swing (mirror image) and he came lefty golfer

As a lefty, I've grown accustomed to seeing teaching videos of a right handed player explaining tips and tricks. I like to think of it as looking in a mirror.

Thanks for the question. As a right handed golfer, I have never had any issues with teaching lefty golfers. I think this question comes down to the quality of the instructor. Someone who understands the swing can relate that to RH or LH golfers. Also, I try to use terms like lead arm, lead leg, weight forward, etc. to not confuse both RH or LH golfers. As well I explain in early lessons which way I will describe forward, back, lead, etc. so that me and my students are on the same page. It all comes down to communication, so find an instructor that can communicate effectively to you no matter how they personally play.

Good luck and hope your lesson went well!

Josh Miller
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Back