On the road, looking for a course.

Lefty78

Have clubs, will travel
Reaction score
Handicap
unstable
This week we take off heading west. I'm looking for a course not too far off I-40 in Arkansas for, I hope, Friday, Aug 5. It would be a real bonus if a THPer could join me. I will post pictures and progress here as I make my way out to Oregon and back again.

Any suggestions? Price is not as important as course conditions and availability. I hope to play early and hit the road west again.

Also, looking for information about Paa Ko Ridge, hope to be there by the weekend. Is it in good shape? I played Black Mesa on my last trip and liked it a lot even though it kicked my fanny pretty good.

I don't know if I missed it earlier, but what are you going out to Oregon and back for?

Depending on what part of Oregon. Why not Chambers Bay? Site of the 2015 US Open.

Depending on what part of Oregon. Why not Chambers Bay? Site of the 2015 US Open.

I think he's just looking for something in Arkansas right now.

It would be interesting to see the route he's mapped out so he can get other suggestions along the way.

GolfNow is my friend when I travel, I find the courses and then look up reviews online to pick where to play.

I don't know if I missed it earlier, but what are you going out to Oregon and back for?

My daughter, son in law, and 5 grand kids live in Roseburg. (number 6 is on the way...yeah I know...) We used to fly out, rent a car, etc. but I enjoy the drive.

I will some time, probably not this trip though. I do hope to play one or two of the Bandon Dunes courses.

GolfNow is my friend when I travel, I find the courses and then look up reviews online to pick where to play.

I have used GolfNow and like it.

This year, I haven't gotten tee times, or anything else set in stone because of the new knee. It gets pretty painful after a few hours riding so I may have trouble keeping a schedule this year. I want to play in Arkansas, New Mexico, and Nevada on the way out.

Some of the courses I played last year include Black Mesa, The Tribute (Texas), Old Works, Coeur D'Alene Resort, Palouse Ridge, The Ridge at Castle Pines North, and some others. The trip before that, I played two of the Bandon courses and Pacific Dunes is still my favorite course anywhere.

I have never played there but Lions Den Golf Course near Dardanelle is supposed to be a good course.

I have never played there but Lions Den Golf Course near Dardanelle is supposed to be a good course.

I did see that course in my search. Thanks.

Have you played any courses yet Lefty? Keep us posted on where you do play. Safe journeys buddy.

Paa Ko Ridge is a stunning course. It actually plays much shorter than it shows on the card, but is usually in stunning shape. Best bet is to do the twilight rate as I think it brings it in the $50 range (it was last year when we played it, but it was worth the drive from ABQ to play it). Only thing I wish I remembered was my asthma inhaler as the altitude really gave me a hard time playing there. It is a nice mix of placement golf and TPC style conditioning. I can't believe that it was only in the 60s on the Golf Digest list. I suspect it is because it is in the middle of nowhere...

The coolest part of our day was watching a HUGE thunderstorm erupting on the towns at the bottom of the mountains. Other than a light sprinkle, it never got close enough for it to impact our round. It was however, an awesome display of nature.

Have you played any courses yet Lefty? Keep us posted on where you do play. Safe journeys buddy.

We are in Tennessee today for Wife's long yardsale spree. Driving all day tomorrow.

Good deal buddy, keep us updated.

Have a safe trip Lefty and if you have time, take some pics of those beautiful courses along your route.

Have a safe trip Lefty and if you have time, take some pics of those beautiful courses along your route.

Thanks, I will try to get pictures, sometimes it's easier than others.

Paa Ko Ridge is a stunning course. It actually plays much shorter than it shows on the card, but is usually in stunning shape. Best bet is to do the twilight rate as I think it brings it in the $50 range (it was last year when we played it, but it was worth the drive from ABQ to play it). Only thing I wish I remembered was my asthma inhaler as the altitude really gave me a hard time playing there. It is a nice mix of placement golf and TPC style conditioning. I can't believe that it was only in the 60s on the Golf Digest list. I suspect it is because it is in the middle of nowhere...

The coolest part of our day was watching a HUGE thunderstorm erupting on the towns at the bottom of the mountains. Other than a light sprinkle, it never got close enough for it to impact our round. It was however, an awesome display of nature.

I'm getting pretty excited about this course, thanks for the input.

Good deal buddy, keep us updated.

We are near Ft. Smith, Arkansas tonight and planning on playing a course here then getting at least to Amarillo tomorrow.

I played Eagle Crest near Ft. Smith. The country there was scorched from lack of rain and amazingly high temperatures. Earlier this week, they had a high of 114 and today when we finished it was 107. Don't know what the index was, it don't matter at that point.

The bent greens were on their last leg lots of black patches but they rolled really well. The course itself was pretty funky with, 5 par 5s, 6 par 3s. There was no single philosophy in the design. For example, the second hole was a 210 par 3 from the second tees to a tiny green. Then number three was a wide open fairway with no trouble anywhere and a huge green. A couple of the par 5s had fairways so narrow, it seemed that two carts wouldn't roll side by side between the trees. It was a fun course and I was lucky enough to join Jim, Ken and Jim who showed me the way and made me feel right at home. (You know they had to be nuts to be out in that heat!)

Pictures are posted here: https://picasaweb.google.com/dddgray/2011RoadTrip?authkey=Gv1sRgCPXkieSU6_2vOg

Dang Lefty78, I am new on this site and just posted today about a course in Arkansas I would like to hear about. It is about an hour north of Little Rock, We are heading up there at the end of next month to play it. Here is a picture of it.

T1-2.jpg

I am sure its not that green right now though

Paa-Ko Ridge, New Mexico. It is a pretty course, kind of tough unless you play smart (I didn't.) Excellent conditioning, good greens with lots of undulations, very deep bunkers, and a few blind shots are to be found on this course. It seemed like I spent the day looking straight up out of the bottom of those bunkers. It is possible to hit tee shots through the fairways on several holes and for most of the par 5s, just hit to the 150 pole, too much trouble guarding those greens. A few pictures are in the folder that is linked above.

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

By far, my best shot of the day. A one foot birdie putt.

IMG_0122.JPG

Second shot to a par 5

IMG_0123.JPG

Finishing hole (number 9)

Last edited:
Rushing to Bandon, last night in Gallup, NM, now we are in Vegas for tonight then heading on north tomorrow morning. Tee times: Wednesday Old MacDonald at 9:10 am :banana: and Thursday, Bandon Trails at 9:40.:bananadance:

Old MacDonald: Today was Old Mac day and it was pretty enjoyable except for the putting. The course requires a lot of long putts on huge undulating greens. Fairways and greens were both very hard and very tight it was difficult to determine when fairway ended and green began. I had 45 putts, yes 45, 22 on front and 23 on back. With fairways so tight and hard, ball striking is at a premium, it felt as though every shot needed to be struck perfectly and the course does require a ground game as every shot must be played to roll. Oh yeah, the wind, it is normal here and it blew today 25-30. The ball was quaking as it was being addressed on greens and fairways.

I'm glad I played the course but would probably play one of the other courses on future visits unless playing all of them in one visit.

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

Bandon Trails, the course you don't hear much about, is a terrific golf course. It is beautiful as well as a good golf course, challenging but not too hard.

Like the other courses at Bandon, the fairways and greens were firm and fast. Fairways are generally lined with trees and there are some nasty bunkers at various points to catch wayward drives. When the wind is whipping in off the Pacific, the Trails course is a bit more sheltered than the other Courses on the resort. The exception is that the last three holes play directly into the summer prevailing wind and uphill making the finish something to remember. Today with the wind blowing about 25, eighteen is listed at 372 from the green tees. That distance suggests driver wedge but I hit a good drive and very good three iron to the very front of an extremely deep green with the pin located all the way back. The two putt from about 100 feet was most satisfying.

IMG_0166.JPG

Pacific Trails, number 2, a par three.

IMG_0167.JPG

Number 3, par 5

IMG_0169.JPG

Number 5, par 3

IMG_0171.JPG

Number 8, a short par 4

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-G-wKLJ0BBHo/TkRsG4GYatI/AAAAAAAAGv4/tXcJe80tw54/s640/IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

Number 16, "short" par 5, up hill and into the prevailing wind.

IMG_0183.JPG

#17 par 3

IMG_0165.JPG

Looks like you are having a blast and playing some very good courses, thanks for sharing all of the pics Lefty and continued safe travels.

Awesome Lefty thanks for the pics. This is one of 3 venues I WILL play before dying. Absolutely gorgeous.

Looks like you are having a blast and playing some very good courses, thanks for sharing all of the pics Lefty and continued safe travels.

Thanks, I'm going to enjoy the grand kids a few days before heading east.

Awesome Lefty thanks for the pics. This is one of 3 venues I WILL play before dying. Absolutely gorgeous.

I had put off playing the Trails course, playing the other three but finally got around to it this trip. Bandon Trails may be my favorite of the four. It is beautiful as well as a good test. When you come be prepared for hard tight lies. Trails doesn't get as much play as the others, maybe because it is inland??? The caddies and workers, when asked which course they played, preferred Trails over the other courses.

I will be back to play Pacific Dunes, Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails. Old MacDonald? probably not.

awesome looking courses, thanks for sharing the pics

Aspen Lakes in Sisters, which is in central Oregon near Bend, was the first stop as we started on back east toward Georgia. If you like hard, fast, smooth greens or hitting off of manicured bent grass fairways or playing an easy walking course in a terrific climate then this could be a course you would enjoy. Central Oregon is probably a better golf destination for most golfers. There are a lot more courses ranging from affordable to high dollar. If Aspen Lakes is any indicator, they are all very good courses. I played for $49, walking in 3 hrs 40 minutes. It was a fun course with good scenery, good fairways, good greens, and great weather.

The bunkers are filled with some kind of volcanic crushed stone or something. They are red, very hard under foot and very easy to hit out of.

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-vylTba_8GzE/TktEkZSd-XI/AAAAAAAAG2I/syCoBqRQChM/s640/IMG_0232.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

This was what my second shot looked like, 169 to pin. hit 7I to back of green over the center tree.

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

Last edited:
Back