Aceman

Reaction score
Handicap
I have had around a 7 USGA handicap for around a year now. I played competitively in high school and even a year in college, and have never felt the urge to switch blades. I still play frequently, but just for fun. I don't see how unforgiving irons are worth it to players who don't play professionally.. I know the workability is better, but who really needs to work the ball that much? I can hit a fade/draw with current irons just by changing my grip. Does it really help you score? Why do you play blades?

Only serious golfers play blades.

That's the inside joke here at THP. In fairness to where most golfers' games are, there really is no benefit to playing blade irons. In my opinion.

I have had around a 7 USGA handicap for around a year now. I played competitively in high school and even a year in college, and have never felt the urge to switch blades. I still play frequently, but just for fun. I don't see how unforgiving irons are worth it to players who don't play professionally.. I know the workability is better, but who really needs to work the ball that much? I can hit a fade/draw with current irons just by changing my grip. Does it really help you score? Why do you play blades?

Honestly I played blades because of ghe look at address. With current technology this is available without going the full muscleback route. Is it a sthpid reason? Probably but it is what it is.

Some people like the soft feel on thin blades and the workability and quality of blades. Also most blades have minimum offset and smaller head profile and they like them at address and they look beautiful and traditional. Personally I would never use them unless I was that good. I don't really like the lack of forgiveness and I would lose a lot of distance.

I'm regretting that I no longer play blades.

Jrod was pretty deadly with a blade imo.

I'm regretting that I no longer play blades.

Don't you like the forgiveness of your J38? I bet you got a lot more workability with your blades though

I agree with JRod. You can buy CB irons that look like blades at address. As a matter of fact, I was hitting a 588 CB at the outing and someone asked me if I was hitting a blade because they could not tell when they were not behind me.

Some players think they play better if they're comfortable with the look of their irons, especially at address. For some players, blades fit this requirement to a tee.

For me, I believe players' cavity backs offer the same workability of blades but also offer a healthy dose of forgiveness that isn't present with blades. But to each, their own.

Don't you like the forgiveness of your J38? I bet you got a lot more workability with your blades though

A good player can work any kind of club. KJ Choi played g20's and bubba watson plays cavity backs.

Oh I definitely love the forgiveness. The one thing I miss is the shot shaping. Although I can with J38s, my old 690mbs felt easier to do with. Also, I miss the fact that I had to be spot on with blades, with my J38s, knowing that I have forgiveness, I tend to hit them a little more sloppier. If that makes sense.

A good player can work any kind of club. KJ Choi played g20's and bubba watson plays cavity backs.

yeah i'm not good.

Very true haha.

I am really considering getting some forged cavity backs cause I wouldn't be able to get away with blades.

A: Because I'm awesome
B: Because having Miura blades will annoy Jrod
C: Because I wanted to sell all my butter knives and just use my golf clubs for my morning toast. I can both slice the bread and butter it with the same utensil. #Winning!

Actual answer: Because I was fit to them and hit them demonstrably better then the cavity backs from that brand.

Oh I definitely love the forgiveness. The one thing I miss is the shot shaping. Although I can with J38s, my old 690mbs felt easier to do with. Also, I miss the fact that I had to be spot on with blades, with my J38s, knowing that I have forgiveness, I tend to hit them a little more sloppier. If that makes sense.

Is it difficult to pretend that your J38s aren't as forgiving, so that you don't hit them as sloppy?

Is it difficult to pretend that your J38s aren't as forgiving, so that you don't hit them as sloppy?

my brain is stupid.

I play them because I like them, and I generally hit them pretty well and accurate. I'm pretty happy with my game but I've been eyeing some cavity backs for just a touch of forgiveness, at least in the long irons.

I play the irons I do because they performed best when I was trying a bunch out I was initially wanting the cobra s3 or Adams cb2 after a large number of balls with lots of irons the s3 pro gave me the best results and I love them. No regrets

The S59's are cavity backs?

A: Because I'm awesome
B: Because having Miura blades will annoy Jrod
C: Because I wanted to sell all my butter knives and just use my golf clubs for my morning toast. I can both slice the bread and butter it with the same utensil. #Winning!

Actual answer: Because I was fit to them and hit them demonstrably better then the cavity backs from that brand.

I like your clubs. Im for anyone playing anything that helps them shoot better!

I played straight forged blades when I was at my peak, and looking back on it now, it was a mistake. I just switched to i20's a few weeks ago and now I really wish I had something this forgiving back then.

imo, there is no point. My i20's feel basically the same, I can work the ball just as much, and so on. I truly see no reason to have blades over other options, outside of the ego aspect of it all.

Back