TaylorMade R11 Irons Reviews

Is it justified to really upgrade from the R9 to the R11s? I can't see it, I could see going from a prior version to the R11s, but not R9 to R11. Cost to performance gained I just don't see that much. Only reason they are on my radar is I was switching shafts, so it just made sense, but if my R9s had the C-Tapers or even the KBS Tour, I couldn't see spending money for what will amount to only a fraction gained over the R9.

I upgraded my set of R9's to the R11's.

My local golf shop owner also said that the R11 is more in line for him with the R9 TP clubs, but with more forgiveness. How true that is... meh... I already had a bunch of other R11 stuff so felt it a natural progression. I must say though, that these R11's have me more excited to go and play than I have been in a long time! Cant wait till I hit them again!

I upgraded my set of R9's to the R11's.

My local golf shop owner also said that the R11 is more in line for him with the R9 TP clubs, but with more forgiveness. How true that is... meh... I already had a bunch of other R11 stuff so felt it a natural progression. I must say though, that these R11's have me more excited to go and play than I have been in a long time! Cant wait till I hit them again!

Yeah, your local shop guy si not really correct. The R9 TP clubs are more in line with TP CB irons from TM, not R11s.

Just get them already so I can try them! On that note, what are you doing Saturday?

I sure want them. I'd love some outdoor range time though. Saturday is free. But is it going to still be raining?

Tapatalk: even Romosexuals use it

Yeah, your local shop guy si not really correct. The R9 TP clubs are more in line with TP CB irons from TM, not R11s.

I hear what you're saying but from my perspective, I think the R11's (aesthetically) are a lot like the R9 TP's. I mean, similar head shape/size, similar amounts of offset throughout the set, similar sole and topline thickness, but I image the R11's offer a bit more forgiveness and more distance.

I think there would be enough difference between the R9's and the R11's to warrant an upgrade.

I hear what you're saying but from my perspective, I think the R11's (aesthetically) are a lot like the R9 TP's. I mean, similar head shape/size, similar amounts of offset throughout the set, similar sole and topline thickness, but I image the R11's offer a bit more forgiveness and more distance.

I think there would be enough difference between the R9's and the R11's to warrant an upgrade.

Totally agree here, I put my R11's up against a set of R9 TP's and the head size was pretty much the same, it not the R11's being a little smaller.

The lofts look very similar from the R9 TP line to the R11. Maybe a 1/2 degree here and there. What do you guys feel is making these clubs longer?

Maybe you are right and I just didn't realize it. Might have thought I misclubbed or something.

Once I really had my irons dialed in- I started to notice discrepancies out of rough. That's when I was educated what was happening. Since we aren't swinging as fast as the tour guys or TC, we don't see a massive increase in flier distance. Bt I know fir a fact my 8 iron flies 150 maybe rolls to 155 - when it's at 165 I know I had a flier.

The only time I ever used a caddy I wanted to club up to make sure I got to the green, he said no you'll be long, that's jail- you have a flier lie, this will get you to the flag, just trust it.. Sure enough - pin high little right - puttin 4 bird. Man I miss him....

Bah, knew I should have stayed out of this thread. Now I want 'em.

lol i know what u mean i bought my superluanches which i liked alot 5 months ago and was just planning on getting the R11driver but after reading reviews about the forgivingness and consistantcy of these irons couldnt resist and had to have them. and as i continue to read im glad i did and cant wait to see them at work

The lofts look very similar from the R9 TP line to the R11. Maybe a 1/2 degree here and there. What do you guys feel is making these clubs longer?

Slight clarificiation here: the lofts of the R11 irons are much more similar to the regular R9 irons, not the R9 TP irons. You can still find the R9 TP specs on Taylormade's European site: http://www.taylormadegolf.eu/Irons/R9-TP-Irons/R9-TP-Irons-specifications.aspx

The R9 TP 4-iron has 24.5 degrees of loft, whereas the R11 5-iron is 24 degrees.

R9 irons specs, again from the EU site: http://www.taylormadegolf.eu/Irons/R9-Irons/R9-Irons-specifications.aspx

Lofts on R11 irons vs. R9 irons: 1 degree stronger in 3-5 iron, same in 6-8 iron, 1 degree stronger in 9-PW, same in AW and SW.

my R11 irons arrived today...now if i can get my wife to take a few decent looking pics i will be satisifed.for now

Very similar actually, with the R11 being slightly smaller visually. Here is a 2.0, R11 and CB soles lined up.

4c650e3a-1e38-a3d9.jpg
The sole of the CB looks slightly narrower to me.

The sole does look slightly more narrow, because it does not have that "rail" (or whatever you want to call) on the sole. It's more noticeable because the CB's sole kind of fades into the cavity. Nevertheless these are all three beautiful irons.

Dually noted, it still looks narrower to me. Optical illusion, apparently...

I actually think they're damn near identical. These R11's offer some pretty sleek lines for an iron in their category.

well i went and got myself a set tonight and they look fab, cant wait to test them on the course at the weekend, i new i could not resist

My irons came in today, I was already headed to the course when I got the call. Of course I turned around and went to pick them up first. I have spent the last couple weeks trying to get my driver working, and have neglected my irons. I knew I had new irons coming that are completely different, so I haven't hit my irons pretty much at all at the range. When I played yesterday I had one of the worst ball striking days I have had in months. I thought it was just a rough day, but the shanks reared their ugly head again today. Due to hitting alot of balls fat and hitting the rest off the toe, its hard for me to give much of an evaluation of the irons. The ground was very wet, so even if I was just a little fat, it was very penalizing.

What I can say is you don't lose too much distance off the toe, but lost alot of direction, left alot of balls pin but to the right of the green. The clubs are as long as advertised. I went up a club across the board it appears. Only hit my 6 once, 5 once, and 4 twice, so I can't comment too much on those, but the short irons were one club longer. Hitting my Aw about 120, PW about 140, 9i 155, 8i 165 and 7i 175. I think these will go up when I get my swing grooved. I was having to back off to make sure I made contact. I am still in love with the feel of the clubs. I can tell as soon as I make contact where the ball will end up. They let you know where on the face you hit it, without painful vibration. The best feedback by far of any club I've hit. Most of the time the clubs that have given the feedback I like, were also painful to hit when you didn't get it right. These give plenty of feedback without the teeth rattling buzz. When you do pure one (which was rare today) its just the best feeling in the world. I'm going to take these to the range and play again Friday.

My irons came in today, I was already headed to the course when I got the call. Of course I turned around and went to pick them up first. I have spent the last couple weeks trying to get my driver working, and have neglected my irons. I knew I had new irons coming that are completely different, so I haven't hit my irons pretty much at all at the range. When I played yesterday I had one of the worst ball striking days I have had in months. I thought it was just a rough day, but the shanks reared their ugly head again today. Due to hitting alot of balls fat and hitting the rest off the toe, its hard for me to give much of an evaluation of the irons. The ground was very wet, so even if I was just a little fat, it was very penalizing.

What I can say is you don't lose too much distance off the toe, but lost alot of direction, left alot of balls pin but to the right of the green. The clubs are as long as advertised. I went up a club across the board it appears. Only hit my 6 once, 5 once, and 4 twice, so I can't comment too much on those, but the short irons were one club longer. Hitting my Aw about 120, PW about 140, 9i 155, 8i 165 and 7i 175. I think these will go up when I get my swing grooved. I was having to back off to make sure I made contact. I am still in love with the feel of the clubs. I can tell as soon as I make contact where the ball will end up. They let you know where on the face you hit it, without painful vibration. The best feedback by far of any club I've hit. Most of the time the clubs that have given the feedback I like, were also painful to hit when you didn't get it right. These give plenty of feedback without the teeth rattling buzz. When you do pure one (which was rare today) its just the best feeling in the world. I'm going to take these to the range and play again Friday.

Great to hear about your new clubs. A few rounds and range sessions under your belt and you will be stroking these clubs in no time. I'm still amazed to hear that people are getting 1-1/2 club more in distance with these clubs. With my CB's I lose a little bit of distance on poor hits but do not lose accuracy. That weight port helps in getting the club balance on the mishits. I'm going this weekend to give these R11's a wack just for the hell of it. I'm not leaving my CB's anytime soon but I'm very curious for comparison sake.

Part of me thinks the releases may have worked better the other way round. R11 irons first, then TP line. But, that also leaves a hole in the tour player category. hmmm. I dunno.

Anyhow, had a quick look at these in the range store last night and I must say they look so much nicer in person than they do in the pics. More compact than I imagined too.
Metal woods are their bread and butter. They want that new line out early in the golfing season.

It's the angle. I'm pretty sure it's slightly smaller. I'll have to get a better shot of it. My regular playing partner plays the CBs.

I failed to notice you were upgrading from the X18. I think you are going to notice a huge difference. Looking forward to more thoughts on them.

I failed to notice you were upgrading from the X18. I think you are going to notice a huge difference. Looking forward to more thoughts on them.

Yeah, and on top of that I am going from a Uniflex shaft to s300's hard stepped. I can already tell a huge difference. I can't wait to get out on the range tomorrow to get them dialed in a bit.

Yeah, and on top of that I am going from a Uniflex shaft to s300's hard stepped. I can already tell a huge difference. I can't wait to get out on the range tomorrow to get them dialed in a bit.
Not a fan of the S300s myself, but I know some people that love them. Hope they treat you well.

My dispersion dropped big time when I hit the s300's on the simulator. My ball flight is just beautiful with the s300/R11 combo.

Great stuff, looking forward to your thoughts on these irons when you get these out on the course.

Nice update wakerider, and congrats on getting your irons man!

I think I'm going to go to the golf shop today and see these beauties in person again. Who knows, maybe there's a LH demo.

I can't help but imagine what a beautiful combination kbs c- tapers and these clubheads would be
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Back