I-95 Golf Course Recommendations

jrs362

Reaction score
Handicap
I'll be traveling with my dad from New England down to Augusta (Staying in Lexington, SC) for the Monday practice round at the Masters. We'll be leaving from the Boston area Saturday night (probably around 11pm) and it's about a 14 hour drive to the hotel with a majority of it on I95.

We'd like to get a round of golf in on the trip while we wait for the last bits of snow to melt up here in the north. I'm guessing we'll be in the Richmond, VA area by the time we get the itch to swing the clubs. I've checked GolfI95 to get an idea of some close courses but it doesn't provide any reviews or recommendations. That's where I turn to THP. Does anyone have any course recommendations from Richmond, VA to SC that aren't too far off I95??

If we don't stop to play along the way, we'd probably be getting to the Hotel mid-afternoon and I've noted a few of the recommended courses in the Columbia area from the Columbia, SC Get Together thread and may look into booking a late-afternoon tee time at one of those courses.

Where I95 and I20 connect, check out The Palms at Oakdale

Where I95 and I20 connect, check out The Palms at Oakdale

Thanks. It looks like The Palms course had some major renovations recently and everything I've read about the course has been good. Are their rates reasonable for the public?

Thanks. It looks like The Palms course had some major renovations recently and everything I've read about the course has been good. Are their rates reasonable for the public?
They underwent new management and have sunk (from what I have heard) around 3 million into the property. It's the third local course (in a 30 mile area) that they've purchased and renovated. They're working on the club house and pool area now. Prices are good, should cost you around $30. Definitely call ahead if you can because with the good weather the weekends are booking up.

Join us sunday, its just 20-30 min up the road from Lexington.

In the Richmond area, you aren't going to find a ton of options right on 95. The Crossings golf course is right on 95, north of Richmond. http://www.thecrossingsgc.com/index.php I have played there a few times. It should be in good shape in early April.

I would love to recommend River's Bend, which is about 3-4 miles off of 95, but I just can't. This used to be my favorite course in the area with really tough holes with a lot of river and swamp danger, but it has gone significantly downhill over the past few years. Here's a link, but it is in bad shape. http://www.riversbendgolfclub.com/

Belmont golf course is very close to 95 in Richmond and is usually in pretty good shape. I haven't played there in years, but my brother's play there often. It actually hosted the PGA championship in 1949. http://www.co.henrico.va.us/rec/belmont-golf-course/

That's all I really know of that are close to 95. Good luck. Maybe I'll see you in Augusta on Monday.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It looks like we'll probably try to play either The Palms or The Crossings. It will probably depend on whether my dad would prefer to play 1/2 way through the trip or at the end. I suspect, and hope, that he'll opt for sooner so we're not exhausted and cramped from the long ride.

No option to play both, AND meet up with the Carolina THP contingent? Live a little! ;)

Oh man, that would be ideal but I'm not sure there are enough hours in the day.

We'll be leaving from Vermont and heading to Boston mid-afternoon on Saturday to catch the Red Sox game. When that ends, we're hitting the road for a 14 hour trip to Augusta. That will put us in the VA area around 8-9am. A 4 hour round puts us around 1pm. Then we're looking at another 5.5-6 hours to the Columbia area. I'm afraid I'll have to settle for the post-round stories on THP this time.

Oh man, that would be ideal but I'm not sure there are enough hours in the day.

We'll be leaving from Vermont and heading to Boston mid-afternoon on Saturday to catch the Red Sox game. When that ends, we're hitting the road for a 14 hour trip to Augusta. That will put us in the VA area around 8-9am. A 4 hour round puts us around 1pm. Then we're looking at another 5.5-6 hours to the Columbia area. I'm afraid I'll have to settle for the post-round stories on THP this time.
Safe travels!

I'm a little late chiming in here, but there's quite a few really great courses that are less 45 miles off of I-95 in NC and you haven't played golf until you've played in the Sandhills..... :act-up: It really depends on how much you want to spend. There's great courses for $40 a round all the way up to $400 a round in that area.

Some recommendations (by order of cost):

King's Grant in Fayetteville, which is also the closest to I-95
Anderson Creek in Spring Lake
Foxfire in the Pinehurst Area
Legacy in Southern Pines
Seven Lakes in the Pinehurst Area
Tobacco Road in Sanford

and of course........ Pinehurst.

I thought about about chiming in with Tobacco Road, but figured it might be a bit far. Now that its on the table, that would be my stop. Love that place.

Not sure The Crossings would be at the top of my list as I'd venture to say Viniterra or Royal New Kent which wouldn't be too far off of 295 assuming you plan to bypass Richmond.

I thought about about chiming in with Tobacco Road, but figured it might be a bit far. Now that its on the table, that would be my stop. Love that place.

Not sure The Crossings would be at the top of my list as I'd venture to say Viniterra or Royal New Kent which wouldn't be too far off of 295 assuming you plan to bypass Richmond.

I did hear that Tobacco Road has had an issue with it's greens this year, which is why I also put it at the bottom of the list. It is a very interesting round that everyone should play at least twice. Once to get beat up and figure out the course and the 2nd time to actually play golf.

If I was going to venture 45 miles off of I-95 in this area, based on course conditions right now......... I would get to the Pinehurst area and play Seven Lakes or Legacy. They are in awesome shape this year.

I did hear that Tobacco Road has had an issue with it's greens this year, which is why I also put it at the bottom of the list. It is a very interesting round that everyone should play at least twice. Once to get beat up and figure out the course and the 2nd time to actually play golf.

If I was going to venture 45 miles off of I-95 in this area, based on course conditions right now......... I would get to the Pinehurst area and play Seven Lakes or Legacy. They are in awesome shape this year.

That's too bad about TR

Thanks for the additional NC suggestions. I'll have to check on them and see if we can alter our route a bit to hit any of them without making the trip much longer.

Looks like it will probably be The Crossings in VA. I let my dad decide whether to golf early in the trip or wait until the end. He opted for early and since it was right off of 95 he was happy with it.

I'm guessing they have a no-denim policy? I may have to take my dad wardrobe shopping. He's golfed in crocs more times than he's golfed without wearing jeans.

Dogwood Trace in Petersburg, VA. It is about 5 minutes off of 95 and it is in excellent shape. Not overly hard, but a fun track. www.dogwoodtracegolf.com

Back