Only hit well when with the instructor? whats up with that?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
Range today and not hitting well at all while working on some things from a previous good range session which in turn was after a previous lesson a few days prior to that. My instructor was there so after much frustration I grabbed him and he came over to work with me. Wouldn't you know with the very first swing before he even says a word my issue disappears like bringing your car to the mechanic only the problem doesn't exist while he has it. It was like I hadn't had any issue at all that I was having for the prior hour hitting balls.

We worked on some things but the main issue I was having seemed to have vanished simply being in his presence. Whats up with that? I was happy I hit well but not happy because I wanted to know why and what I was doing wrong from before hand. My biggest flaw lately (one of quite a few) is tempo. But all a sudden only in front of him I suddenly have good tempo when I didn't have it for the entire bucket prior? And I mange it before he even does or says anything at all? I told him I'm going to carry around a picture of him on a pole and stick it in the ground to watch me while I play on the course. It was like I was little kid where all of a sudden mommy or daddy is there and now its going to be ok simply due to their presence. Afterwards I hit some more solo again and not as bad as earlier but was up and down at best. Whats up with that?

Range today and not hitting well at all while working on some things from a previous good range session which in turn was after a previous lesson a few days prior to that. My instructor was there so after much frustration I grabbed him and he came over to work with me. Wouldn't you know with the very first swing before he even says a word my issue disappears like bringing your car to the mechanic only the problem doesn't exist while he has it. It was like I hadn't had any issue at all that I was having for the prior hour hitting balls.

We worked on some things but the main issue I was having seemed to have vanished simply being in his presence. Whats up with that? I was happy I hit well but not happy because I wanted to know why and what I was doing wrong from before hand. My biggest flaw lately (one of quite a few) is tempo. But all a sudden only in front of him I suddenly have good tempo when I didn't have it for the entire bucket prior? And I mange it before he even does or says anything at all? I told him I'm going to carry around a picture of him on a pole and stick it in the ground to watch me while I play on the course. It was like I was little kid where all of a sudden mommy or daddy is there and now its going to be ok simply due to their presence. Afterwards I hit some more solo again and not as bad as earlier but was up and down at best. Whats up with that?

why they call it golf my friend... Goofy game

Because when you're with your instructor you know he's going to recognize when you tense up and try to beat the hell out of the ball. As a general rule I don't care about distance when my instructor is right there. I don't even watch the ball (probably step #1 to good striking). I'm focused on a smooth, relaxed swing and hitting the points of performance he wants me to work on.

On the other hand, when I get out on the range on my own, I get interested in hitting to yardages, or trying to tweak things...a little less of this, a little more of that, etc. Maybe finding a couple extra miles per hour, or a little steeper of a swing plane, and suddenly I'm less interested in smooth, relaxed, and mechanically sound, and I'm more interested in results. And that's where problems come in.

Is he interested in being your caddy?

Because when you're with your instructor you know he's going to recognize when you tense up and try to beat the hell out of the ball. As a general rule I don't care about distance when my instructor is right there. I don't even watch the ball (probably step #1 to good striking). I'm focused on a smooth, relaxed swing and hitting the points of performance he wants me to work on.

On the other hand, when I get out on the range on my own, I get interested in hitting to yardages, or trying to tweak things...a little less of this, a little more of that, etc. Maybe finding a couple extra miles per hour, or a little steeper of a swing plane, and suddenly I'm less interested in smooth, relaxed, and mechanically sound, and I'm more interested in results. And that's where problems come in.

You certainly have a point. Even if we think we are not doing that we probably are still guilty of it just enough to cause the problem

Paladin is spot on.

Paladin is spot on when we have eyes and trusted eyes on us we relax and do it right, we don't try and add a couple yards by swinging harder or taking the club back longer.

Because when you're with your instructor you know he's going to recognize when you tense up

, I get interested in hitting to yardages, or trying to tweak things...a little less of this, a little more of that, etc. Maybe finding a couple extra miles per hour, or a little steeper of a swing plane, and suddenly I'm less interested in smooth, relaxed, and mechanically sound, and I'm more interested in results. And that's where problems come in.

I had to quote you again. Went to the range today and what I did was something different. As I hit towards yard flags I took a different approach in logic. While I knew I wanted to get to certain yardages I didn't go at it with the mindset that I was the one who had to get the ball to that yardage. Instead I went at it with the logic that its the club that's going to do that as long as its the correct club and all I had to do was swing it as though yardage didn't matter.

And I have to say it worked very well. I maintained an even relaxed tempo throughout the session with all clubs and just let the clubs do their work. I have to say it was one of the most successful range sessions I've had ball striking wise and also for being on target. I believe I learned something very helpful today with this that is going to help with being more consistent. I hope

One thing that sticks out to me. When you go to the range with an instructor, you have a game plan. You're trying to work on something. If I go to the range to mash balls, I have no focus. Trying to dial on distance at the range is a huge mistake IMO.

I found that when I went from a great lesson to a bad range session it was because I didnt have someone there telling me what I did wrong. Sooner or later you get frustrated. Understanding your swing and what causes your misses is important too.

Also, a lot of people go to the range just bang away at balls for an hour. Go in with a plan that involves drills and move forward from there. Don't worry about where the ball goes or how silly you might look.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

More concentration when you know your instructor is watching? I think that is what it is for me.
I had a similar deal last Saturday. Wasn't hitting well at all on the range, then went down to get a fitting with 2 titlest fitters and the club pro watching me. I guess I upped my concentration level or something because all of the sudden I started putting good swings together and making good contact.
I want/need to spend more time on the range, but need to find a way to do it and get something positive out of it.

Back