Hybrids - Taking out the ego for better scores?

This year I'm switching from a 22* and 28* down to just my TM rescue 22*. But never afraid of putting my 28* back in my bag, or even adding another hybrid or two. This'll be my first full season with my new irons, so I'll see how I hit my longer irons, then decide.

I don't think going to hybrids has anything to do with ego. Why not use a club that for some people is so much easier to hit.

Hitting the ball far and where I want it to go does more for my ego than what kind of equipment I use to do it. So in the interest of stroking my ego, I'd usually got between two and three hybrids in the bag.

I couldn't agree more. I have a 20 and a 25 degree in my bag at all times
Hitting the ball far and where I want it to go does more for my ego than what kind of equipment I use to do it. So in the interest of stroking my ego, I'd usually got between two and three hybrids in the bag.

It really just comes down to what you are comfortable with. If you use a hybrid, or not, I don't think about it. Whatever makes you happy.

There is another aspect to it, which matters to me. Hybrids weren't around when I learned to play, and I prefer to tackle the game on my own terms. I am not out to beat anyone. Not going to make a living from golf. I just want to enjoy it the way I remember it growing up. And that means I have to be able to hit real woods, and long irons. I am already cheating with the ultra forgiving Eye 2's (relative to the pre 1970 equipment).

That is the way I want to do it. To each their own.

I currently have 3 & 4 hybrids in the bag, but have gone down (or is it up) as far as 6 hybrid in the past. I really like using an iron for the low punch shot, which unfortunately I need to hit quit often. I don't know why, but I have never had a hybrid that I could hit that shot with as well as a can with a 4 or 5 iron.

I tried a 3hy for a bit, but it was a poor fit for me. Too long and too soft a flex, I had a much harder time controlling it than my 3 iron so I got rid of it. I need to give one that has been properly fit a try.

I don't really think hybrids and ego should be a 'one or the other' concept.

If/when I find a hybrid/shaft combination that is more consistent than my four iron, I'll make the switch. Until that time, I'm fine with the distance losses I get when I strike my 4 poorly.

I love my Mashie and currently have been looking for a 4 hybrid to get in the bag. They are clubs that I hit well and have confidence with so why would I not game them

I carry three hybrids and I'm not going back to long irons. I love the higher ball flight and softer landing plus they are super easy to hit.

I can't say that there's a one true path with these. I know some fine golfers who have 2 wedges, an 8i, and hybrids. I also know some who carry up to 2i.
Myself, my cutoff's about 4i. I find a hybrid easier to hit in the air and straight than a 3i, but around 4i the iron's less likely to go offline on me. Makes no sense to me.

I carry a. 3h and a 4h. Hit them well just have tendency to hook them... Guessing I can adjust them with some range time to fix that

We got in some swings with the new Adams Pro hybrid yesterday and today. Hit it, you'll love it.
I see another in my future to replace my 4I.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I carry a. 3h and a 4h. Hit them well just have tendency to hook them... Guessing I can adjust them with some range time to fix that

From my experience the "hooking" of them seems to be the more common of the problems that people have. I had it myself and was told by a few people (of authority to say) that it is the more common of all the issues for those who have issues making the switch. But bottom line was for me that I really liked my 4iron anyway and was a popular choice for me with lay-up tee shots too so yet another reason I went back to it. But hey, whatever works is whats good.

I'm thinking about taking my 4i back out so i can put my 4h back in.. i hit it so much better, but it's not quite as versatile. if it ends up being all-around better, ego is not a question. score is.

I'm 51 and a 12 handicap. I've improved my handicap 4-5 shots in the last 3 years whilst my buddies of similar age have stagnated or gone backwards.

There have been a few changes that have contributed to this. I was fitted for a Driver, swapped a 3 wood for a 4 wood for better control and versatility, got a mallet putter that stopped me from pulling putts, swapped out game improvement 3 and 4 irons for hybrids, then loved them so much I swapped out the 5 iron as well.

The Driver change has been the biggest contributing factor in the improvement but the change to hybrids has been a clear second. High flight with minimal run. Consistent distance control. Piece of cake.

BTW the most recent change has been to replace the 6-PW of the game improvement irons with fitted Mizuno MP-59's. Next stop, single figures!

The first reply in this thread mentioned the hyrons: I feel that a lot of golfers would benefit greatly from hyrons :)

Oh and rollin: booze just borrows tomorrow's happiness for today ;)

I have Cleveland HyBores which are a iron/hybrid mix. I also play a true 4h and 5h. Nothing wrong with it, and the 4h is my best club!

Unfortunately I have never hit a hybrid. As I sit back and ask myself why...I don't have an answer. I guess it has been look for me. However, with all the rave reviews on people liking them, I think it's time to give them a try.

Hybrids make the game easier for many and I don think there's any stigma attached to them any more. They're always the toughest clubs for me to find a good fit for some reason, but with the wide range of types, it's just a matter of time before I find it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do any of you playing more than a 3 or 4 feel like you gave anything up? Are there any times on the course you find yourself wishing you had a 5i and not a 5h in your hands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched out my 2i and 3i for hybrids. From the FW hitting into the green I'd pick the hybrid every time. However, there are times off the tee when I wish I had my old 2i - I hit it much lower and actually straighter and often that's what I'm looking for from the tee. I hit the hybrid sky-high which is fine if there is no wind or downwind, but doesn't work into or cross wind. I also miss the 2i from trouble where I can hit it about 5 feet off the ground for 150+. So I find myself wondering which of those I play more - from trouble/tee or FW. Seems like a strange setup if I go 2i, 3H, ...

I switched out my 2i and 3i for hybrids. From the FW hitting into the green I'd pick the hybrid every time. However, there are times off the tee when I wish I had my old 2i - I hit it much lower and actually straighter and often that's what I'm looking for from the tee. I hit the hybrid sky-high which is fine if there is no wind or downwind, but doesn't work into or cross wind. I also miss the 2i from trouble where I can hit it about 5 feet off the ground for 150+. So I find myself wondering which of those I play more - from trouble/tee or FW. Seems like a strange setup if I go 2i, 3H, ...

I am curious about a different shaft in a 2 Hybrid and if it would help with the lowering of the ball flight or the workability of the ball flight. I'd be much more open to one if I could flight it easier. 2 irons are fantastic, I love it.

I personally haven't found a hybrid that I hit any more consistently than I do my long irons, so I haven't made the switch.

We need to get together this spring and you can try out this new Adams Pro hybrid... It is such a beast. I shutter to think what you could do with it.

To address the OP, I've always had an Adams combo set in my bag with hybrids at the top, and until recently went 2-5 all hybrids and really liked that setup. Learned all about Adams hybrids this weekend, and they really are the best out there, and Adams offers more configurations of hybrids than anyone else I've seen.

I am curious about a different shaft in a 2 Hybrid and if it would help with the lowering of the ball flight or the workability of the ball flight. I'd be much more open to one if I could flight it easier. 2 irons are fantastic, I love it.

I've wondered the same thing about the shaft. I get a little better ball flight with the 3H than the 2H and it has a different shaft. I bought both used - wasn't fit for either...so the 2H shaft may be part of the problem. I agree about being able to flight the iron easier. The physics that make the hybrid easier work against you at times. For now, I"m going to play the hybrids and try to learn to use the 4i as my recovery club, but the 2i was my go-to club for so many years that it may make it's way back in. (Of course, if I could keep in the FW with the driver then it wouldn't matter so much haha.)

Back