Green Sleeve Forum Testing Review Thread

Mine arrived in the mail today. Can't wait to put it through its paces in the next few days!

You guys are rockin the reviews. So far, it sounds like this would be a good replacement for the small-ish towel I carry to the greens to clean my golf ball. Sometimes keeping up with that towel is a hassle and considering this fits in my pocket that would make it a little easier. Not a life changer or anything but seems very convenient.

I also had doubts about its ability to clean clubs, seems like it isnt a great club cleaner unless you put enough water in it to make pocket carry impossible?? Correct me if I am wrong please.

That said, I don't really clean my clubs during the round...just wipe them with a towel that hangs on my bag before I put them up so that's not a deal killer. I used to carry these to clean my ball:
ballzee-golf-ball-cleaner-2-pack-19.jpg

While they worked perfectly, they still required a towel or pants leg to dry off the ball after cleaning. Just a little water would last the whole round and your pocket stayed dry but again, still needed the towel to dry off the ball.

The green sleeve sounds like a solid replacement...and I can leave the towel in the cart.

Thanks for the info folks...keep em coming!

You guys are rockin the reviews. So far, it sounds like this would be a good replacement for the small-ish towel I carry to the greens to clean my golf ball. Sometimes keeping up with that towel is a hassle and considering this fits in my pocket that would make it a little easier. Not a life changer or anything but seems very convenient.

I also had doubts about its ability to clean clubs, seems like it isnt a great club cleaner unless you put enough water in it to make pocket carry impossible?? Correct me if I am wrong please.

That said, I don't really clean my clubs during the round...just wipe them with a towel that hangs on my bag before I put them up so that's not a deal killer. I used to carry these to clean my ball:
ballzee-golf-ball-cleaner-2-pack-19.jpg

While they worked perfectly, they still required a towel or pants leg to dry off the ball after cleaning. Just a little water would last the whole round and your pocket stayed dry but again, still needed the towel to dry off the ball.

The green sleeve sounds like a solid replacement...and I can leave the towel in the cart.

Thanks for the info folks...keep em coming!

If you are looking to get rid of a towel you are using specifically to clean your ball, this is a great alternative. If you are looking to get excess dirt off your club, the Green Sleeve does a good job of that, but to really get it clean, a towel makes more sense. If you are willing and not grossed out by a spit clean or dampening the Sleeve a bit with some water, it will clean your club.

I had one shot today that required the Green Sleeve for the wedge. The before and after of the wedge shot.
I did try to clean my wedge after a bunker shot, sleeve was dry at that time, but that left a good bit of sand in the grooves. I had to take a brush to it.
As for cleaning the ball, never had a really dirty/muddy ball today. I did clean the ball a few times after hitting the green, but it was more to just make sure there was nothing on it before putting.

Had the chance to see this in person today as both afwcardinal and cwmonroe have received theirs for testing. My feelings after seeing it is that if you just need something to clean the ball on the greens, this would be great. If you wipe down wedges/putter after or on the green then you would still need a towel IMO.

You would have to wet the inside and scrub pretty vigorously to get debris out of grooves, especially if there is sand in the turf DNA.

Had the chance to see this in person today as both afwcardinal and cwmonroe have received theirs for testing. My feelings after seeing it is that if you just need something to clean the ball on the greens, this would be great. If you wipe down wedges/putter after or on the green then you would still need a towel IMO.

You would have to wet the inside and scrub pretty vigorously to get debris out of grooves, especially if there is sand in the turf DNA.

I agree with the usage around the greens and with the effort needed to clean grooves, I don't necessarily feel like it's made for serious club cleaning.

I saw that cleaning off grass clippings on the club or the ball worked well. Cleaning dirt on the ball worked well. Sand in the grooves, not great. But I really did not expect that to work great.
I will say that this was nice to have available in my pocket all day. Never noticed it, but it was always handy when needed.

I used my Greensleeve today for the first time and first round impressions were so so. To be fair the course we played was dry and I didn't run into wet balls or clubs. I started the round with a dry GreenSleeve and of course dry clubs and balls and the only thing I found it useful for was cleaning the sand off my wedge since I couldn't stay out of the bunkers. I play the Callaway MD2 and for dry fluffy sand it worked great for getting for getting the club and balls clean from it. After about 9 holes or so I put a little water into the green sleeve and it worked great for getting grass stains off my ball but I could start to feel a dampness in my pocket. I actually put it back in my bag at this point because I did not want a damp pocket and was getting close to being done anyways. I think this product would work great for early morning rounds when you still have dew on the ground or playing a course that has been saturated by rain. If you are playing a dry course I really don't see much point in carrying it since it really wont do anything for you. I will play another 54 holes this weekend coming up and looks like they are calling for some rain so it will really get tested.

I saw that cleaning off grass clippings on the club or the ball worked well. Cleaning dirt on the ball worked well. Sand in the grooves, not great. But I really did not expect that to work great.
I will say that this was nice to have available in my pocket all day. Never noticed it, but it was always handy when needed.
I do have to say this thing is comfy in my pocket....so much so that I did forget about it in my pocket till I really thought about it.

Green Sleeve Forum Testing Review

Green Sleeve Forum Testing Review

I got out for my second round of testing this morning. It had rained the previous night and was drizzling shortly before tee off, with wet but not sloppy conditions. As with my initial testing, the Green Sleeve performed well gain cleaning the ball around the green and enjoyed not having to carry a towel to the green. With the wet conditions, the ball was cleaned easily and quickly. The only reason I brought my towel with my to the green today was to keep my grips dry when I laid them down.

I used the Green Sleeve on my clubs as well, though I think using a towel and groove cleaner to clean your clubs probably makes more sense if you are looking to the grooves really clear.

I've played two rounds so far with the Green Sleeve, one round walking and the other riding. The Green Sleeve was not a distraction for either round and fits comfortably in my pocket.

Please fire away with any questions. Thanks.

Previous posts:

Unpackaging:
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...eview-Thread&p=3383635&viewfull=1#post3383635
Initial On Course Testing:
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...eview-Thread&p=3386589&viewfull=1#post3386589

Had the chance to see SkiBum's Green Sleeve and was impressed by what I saw. For a quick wipe of the clubs, or cleaning the ball off on the green it looks to be really handy. Don't see it fully replacing a towel, but for situations where I don't normally have a towel close, it would be so handy to have. I may have to pick one up.

So I had a chance to take my Green Sleeve out to the course today. First off, the packaging is simple, and designed such that the cord on top of the GS extends out of the packaging. I saw these at OCN at LIITA and they hang from that cord on a small carousel display.

1374338_837514719604764_2835709409027095963_n.jpg

The Green Sleeve, packaged and ready for purchase.

10407514_837514822938087_5260671907218134289_n.jpg

Front of the Green Sleeve, with packaging.

541559_837514889604747_2805200907528572229_n.jpg

Back of the Green Sleeve, with packaging.

10409190_837515606271342_4764001484805312986_n.jpg

Inside of the Green Sleeve.

The weave on the GS is very tight, and it has a fair amount of heft to it. It is well crafted, and doesn’t feel like it’ll fall apart on you. The loop at the top is nice and allowed me to place it on a carabineer and attach it to a belt loop on my pants. The inside of the GS is a durable microfiber, and the sleeve can be turned inside out relatively easily, which is good for shaking out any dirt, grass, or sand which may become trapped inside it during the course of a round.

The GS is large enough to hold two golf balls, so I actually played a round with a golf ball inside the sleeve. It fit snuggly, and all my movement throughout the round didn’t dislodge it, so this could also double as a ball carrier for one or two balls.

10383887_837514682938101_9086483514265456558_n.jpg

The Green Sleeve can also double as a ball carrier, attached to a belt loop.

The most important question when evaluating the GS however is “How well does it clean a golf ball?” The answer is: “Pretty well.”

10424284_837514789604757_6546781736649969898_n.jpg

Dirty ball.

10686816_837514609604775_8713132276034748725_n.jpg

Clean ball.

Passing the ball through the GS once, without any pressure applied to the ball itself (basically pushing behind the ball to pass it through the GS) resulted in a majority of the dirt being removed from the ball. A little more pressure on the GS would have cleaned the ball up even more nicely.

Results
I think this is a handy little device. It would certainly make a nice gift for golfing friends, especially since Green Sleeve offers a variety of colors, allowing you to match their bag or other accessories. As a ball cleaner, the GS does exactly what it says it will, and the craftsmanship should allow for repeated washings after becoming sufficiently dirty. I’m pleased with the accessory and definitely plan to purchase a few for friends.

Had the chance to see SkiBum's Green Sleeve and was impressed by what I saw. For a quick wipe of the clubs, or cleaning the ball off on the green it looks to be really handy. Don't see it fully replacing a towel, but for situations where I don't normally have a towel close, it would be so handy to have. I may have to pick one up.

Yep, agree completely. It absolutely will not replace a towel, and it won't replace a brush or something else coarse to really scrub dirt out of grooves. But it will get 95% of the dirt off your iron/wedge/putter (yes, it works pretty well for small mallets and blades) or ball without having to run to a club or ball washer.

Took mine out for a range session today and did a test run with a dry green sleeve and one after slightly wetting the inside.

With the dry green sleeve the grass stains weren't too hard to get off of the ball unless the grass was caked on. The green sleeve didn't clean the clubs very well and didn't get the grooves very well at all either.

After slightly wetting the sleeve cleaning a ball was easy and got all of the grass off. I had no problems cleaning my clubs either. When I wanted to get grooves clean I just pressed a little harder and it removed the dirt. Only time will tell how the sleeve holds up with scrubbing harder on the grooves.

What is the outside made of?
Are there instructions on how to properly clean the Green Sleeve in between rounds?
On the packaging it says to wash in warm water (40* C), do not tumble dry.

I just want to thank everyone for the great reviews so far. I play at a course where the ball washers are often ahead of the tees I play, so I wash my ball far less often than I should. I'm also fairly lazy about bringing a towel up to the green. So I could see this being good for me - just stick it in a pocket and use it when I need it.

Great job so far guys.

That's a cool looking product. And it's also a great idea.

One possible concern -- I'm hoping I haven't missed discussion of this in the comments yet:

Have there been any issues with dirt transferring from the green sleeve to the inside of your shorts/pants? I could see dirt getting trapped inside after cleaning a club and then the dirt getting deposited in your back pocket.

Really cool idea, though. Keep up the great work.

Great job so far guys.

One possible concern -- I'm hoping I haven't missed discussion of this in the comments yet:

Have there been any issues with dirt transferring from the green sleeve to the inside of your shorts/pants? I could see dirt getting trapped inside after cleaning a club and then the dirt getting deposited in your back pocket.

Along those lines I would like to know if you use water on the GS does it make your pocket wet.

Great job so far guys.

It has the potential to hold dirt like that, but I didn't notice any more dirt ending up in my pocket than ends up in my front pocket from my divot tool/extra tee. I gave it a quick shake or blew it out after each use, and that seemed to alleviate it pretty well.

Along those lines I would like to know if you use water on the GS does it make your pocket wet.

Didn't notice this issue, and the ground was pretty wet Saturday. But, it only really got damp so it didn't soak thru. If you used a decent amount of water, I could see the potential for a wet pocket.

Great job so far guys.

It was something that I thought would be an issue for me but I haven't noticed an unusual amount of dirt or grass in my pocket. I turned the Green Sleeve inside out and didn't see a whole lot of dirt so I imagine some of the dirt is caked in there.

Those that are reviewing are killing it so far. Really enjoying reading about this little accessory.

I definitely could have used a Green Sleeve out on the course yesterday. Conditions were very damp and muddy, and I am not one that likes to carry a towel to the green every hole. I definitely need to look into picking one of these up.

Great job by all the reviewers so far. Amazing how much information you are relaying to us about a small gadget.

Green Sleeve Forum Testing Review Thread

So I got to use the green sleeve Eddie had this weekend.

I like the idea of something this small being able to fit into your pocket. The few times I used it I came away impressed with how well it cleaned the golf balls, but cleaning the wedges was not what I want/expect. Maybe my OCD, but it didn't quite clean the grooves. It didnt remove all of the dirt but did a good enough job.

Last edited:

I noticed the same thing as skibum did during my round Sunday. It had just rained before my round so the Green Sleeve got wet on the inside but did not soak through.

Great job so far guys.

I would recommend turning it inside-out a couple of times a round and giving it a good shake, based on how dirty/how often it is needed.

Back