Future THP Outings & Demo Days

I like the idea of moving it up earlier in the year because the chances of wedding interferences goes down, but the chances of interfering with Spring Break time goes up. Spring Break time may mean flights, hotels, etc will be more expensive, but also means some members will be able to attend because the whole family can go.

Lots of pros and cons to each side of it.

One-T, I am certainly not going to disagree with you in regards to price. One of the reasons for this thread is to discuss that as an option. I will say that comparing price from one to the other is not actually the same (because of staying off property and you not having to rent a car & THP Dinner), but that is neither here nor there. I think many feel as though the stay and play is the best option, and others feel as though staying locally with everybody at a small hotel is the best option because price goes down.

Its a tough one and we are looking at closely as we plan out 2013. We appreciate everybody's feedback.

I understand that completely. Maybe just a "smaller" resort? or not as much of a well known resort could be an option. I didnt think about rental car logistics, I do like the stay and play idea honestly. I just would like to see cost go down.

The way I see it is...if we have 75 outing attendees at a MINIMUM $600 per person, the resort is making $45,000 before we spend another dime on anything else. Like, food and gift shop. That is a lot of money for a resort to make in one weekend just off the THP crowd, not to mention other guests. So, I would think the price could come down.

I kind of agree. I mean, let's be honest, we used to go to True Blue and stay, and got to play there and at Caledonia for $325.

Here's the other thing I want to mention: maybe by getting away from a resort, THP could possibly move the date up, to say, late Feb/early March. I think that would make demo day far more beneficial for folks. I think at this point in the year a lot of people have their bags setup how they want them. I think by moving the date up, the demo day can become even more about purchasing.

I really like the idea of moving it up earlier so we can use the demo day to consider stuff for the bag in the coming year. Right now I think most of us are already set on our bag but maybe a driver or wedge here and there.

Tour level implies that they have or have the ability to host a tour event. There is a certain level of upkeep and challenge in the description. Most have or plan to have some sort of professional golf at the course. Reunion has held a tour event there in the past.

The LPGA. Forgot about that. Well, it is certainly worthy of any type of THP event. I think that caliber is pretty darn nice. and makes for a special trip.

Kevin

I understand that completely. Maybe just a "smaller" resort? or not as much of a well known resort could be an option. I didnt think about rental car logistics, I do like the stay and play idea honestly. I just would like to see cost go down.

The way I see it is...if we have 75 outing attendees at a MINIMUM $600 per person, the resort is making $45,000 before we spend another dime on anything else. Like, food and gift shop. That is a lot of money for a resort to make in one weekend just off the THP crowd, not to mention other guests. So, I would think the price could come down.

I agree completely. Im still very fond of the original outing as well, however it was on a much smaller scale.

I really like the idea of moving it up earlier so we can use the demo day to consider stuff for the bag in the coming year. Right now I think most of us are already set on our bag but maybe a driver or wedge here and there.

Part of the reason Feb is hard to do many times is because Spring Releases are not available for demo day. We are working on this as well, because frankly the weather in Feb is unbelievably good. However moving up also means price change, so we must tread lightly.

not a bad idea. but you also run the risk of stuff not being completely available either. sure equipment may be at the PGA show but co's may not want to have stuff out earlier than a March/April official release due to embargo dates, etc. plus as noted eleswhere price begins to change as you get into the 'winter months' for the south so fo rthose worried about costs etc that could become an even bigger issue

I agree completely. Im still very fond of the original outing as well, however it was on a much smaller scale.

oh, I dont want like the original at all. that wasnt a stay and play. I also dont need a "tour" level course. Just a fun, well maintained golf course.

oh, I dont want like the original at all. that wasnt a stay and play. I also dont need a "tour" level course. Just a fun, well maintained golf course.

give me a place where we can play golf during the day and hang around together at night and I'm happy.

Part of the reason Feb is hard to do many times is because Spring Releases are not available for demo day. We are working on this as well, because frankly the weather in Feb is unbelievably good. However moving up also means price change, so we must tread lightly.

not a bad idea. but you also run the risk of stuff not being completely available either. sure equipment may be at the PGA show but co's may not want to have stuff out earlier than a March/April official release due to embargo dates, etc. plus as noted eleswhere price begins to change as you get into the 'winter months' for the south so fo rthose worried about costs etc that could become an even bigger issue

Its almost a catch 22 here. Id love to have it earlier but will everything be available because if were missing equipment that defeats the purpose of moving the date up. And then throw in cost going up and were almost back to where we started.

maybe April is the key (as far as timing), solves some of the above mentioned issues related to when to have it

Spring Break is over--flights back to normal, along with hotels/resort
Most of the new stuff is out to the retailers--Still time for those not "set" on their bag to demo away
Tail end of the winter months--Price of golf comes down in the warmer climate states
Crappy rainy weather in msot of the US--People eager to travel somewhere warm and sunny (assuming it stays southern US, etc)

Its almost a catch 22 here. Id love to have it earlier but will everything be available because if were missing equipment that defeats the purpose of moving the date up. And then throw in cost going up and were almost back to where we started.

Pre-release (as outing members have seen) is available to THP, but not by everybody because not every place honors embargo. But in the masses its hard. I fear the move up date because of cost. Our one goal to everybody is to deliver the ULTIMATE GOLF WEEKEND at an affordable price.

And truthfully, I am not sure we delivered that this time. I like to think that this coming weekend will deliver the best outing we have done to date. I certainly know that my better half has worked her tail off to deliver that and we believe that in some areas it will be. But I also think that we have learned a TON from this outing. The first PGA National Outing was a grand scale event and with the exception of Wieder, they delivered. The 2nd one, we knew what we were getting and despite some costs going up behind the scenes, the costs remained the same for everybody. This year costs went up a little, but unlimited golf was added. Then the idea that less could be spent on food because of the villas and we had a winner.

The problem is that I want the world for the people that come. I want them to have the greatest weekend of their lives and I want it to happen for very little money. My goal is the 2013 outing, will shock the world....AND I MEAN THAT!

give me a place where we can play golf during the day and hang around together at night and I'm happy.

:clapp: :thumb: FINALLY after all these years you say something intelligent that I agree with!!!

Pre-release (as outing members have seen) is available to THP, but not by everybody because not every place honors embargo. But in the masses its hard. I fear the move up date because of cost. Our one goal to everybody is to deliver the ULTIMATE GOLF WEEKEND at an affordable price.

And truthfully, I am not sure we delivered that this time. I like to think that this coming weekend will deliver the best outing we have done to date. I certainly know that my better half has worked her tail off to deliver that and we believe that in some areas it will be. But I also think that we have learned a TON from this outing. The first PGA National Outing was a grand scale event and with the exception of Wieder, they delivered. The 2nd one, we knew what we were getting and despite some costs going up behind the scenes, the costs remained the same for everybody. This year costs went up a little, but unlimited golf was added. Then the idea that less could be spent on food because of the villas and we had a winner.

The problem is that I want the world for the people that come. I want them to have the greatest weekend of their lives and I want it to happen for very little money. My goal is the 2013 outing, will shock the world....AND I MEAN THAT!

oh my!! I cant fathom how awesome next weekend is going to be attending my first outing, and I SURELY cannot fathom what 2013 would look like that will top it!

You are putting wings on the tour van and flying all of us over to St. Andrew's for a round of golf?

Yep, I have a feeling all that driving the tour van with the wheels spinning in your head is going to pay big dividends for us! Just can't wait to see what you come up with THIS time!

Wow! what a teaser!

Do you prefer the stay and play or do you prefer an alternative route such as finding cheap lodging and driving to courses?
Alternative lodging would be alot cheaper most likely, but would be nice to have other THPer's in the same area if not same place

Do you prefer it remain in a major city to keep airline costs down or are you okay with smaller airports and possibly driving in from those airports?
either way is fine with me
Do you want Tour Level courses or do you prefer smaller and more rural areas that you might not ever find without a THP event there?
Tour Level Courses would be great , but of course with price being a factor the smaller rural courses would be the way to go if that price was the factor
Do you prefer the banquet dinner that THP covers or would you prefer everybody going out to eat and enjoying the local food?
The banquet dinner sounds awesome plus all the THPer's wil be there

I have never been to an event, but I do plan on it in the future, my thing is always price, not saying that the way it is now is way to expensive, its just the wrong time for me. Hopefully I am not getting confused but this is for the outings and not the morgan cup correct. Really looking forward to that as well and need to know what I would have to do for that.

when the caps come out....JB is serious like a forged iron....and the THP Birdie just had a heart attack

Anytime you make statements like that I get chills JB. Seriously, just see the statements that were made that led to the MC. This says TONS to me and I can't wait to see what is going on in that head.

I'm all in for stay and play.
I believe the extra time together helps build lasting friendships and certainly a extra hand to pull you up if you fall over for what ever reason. hehe

I think it would be cool to try the Myrtle Beach area.
Not sure if they have the facility's for stay and play?
Lot's to do at night time and they are reasonable price wise so it seems with all the offers I recieve.

And as for level of play at Myrtle Beach we'll have to get some feed back from the MC players after the MC 2.0.

Time frame JB makes a good point about the new release's availability for Demo's.
I cut back on my Spring Hunt time to show up for what looks to be a special time with fellow THP'ers

I don't doubt any of that last sentence in the least. You guys have always gone an amazing job when it comes to planning these events. I don't expect this year to be anything short of amazing. Thanks for all you do.

The format seems great to me. Bad luck on dates have prevented me from attending one.

Wow I didn't see JB's post when I posted . This is some kind of statement and has blown my mind to wonder what's is store?

Wow I didn't see JB's post when I posted . This is some kind of statement and has blown my mind to wonder what's is store?

No kidding - that's the ultimate tease. I think we're all in full ponder mode as to what more this event could possibly offer.

I have never been to an outing but told my wife I wanted to figure a way to go in 2013. After reading JB's pre-release i want to go more!!!
i like the stay and play
Major city is not a big deal as long as there is an airport fairly close
Would love the tour level but any "good" course would be fine.
And lastly my vote is the banquet style for all THP members to get together!

Back