The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a really productive range session last night. Worked on alignment and trying to feel like I was hitting each shot on the course. I always struggle taking the range game to the course so I was trying to get a routine down to help build some confidence on the course.

I'll be hitting up the short game area and putting later this week and get my confidence back with that as well. Just gotta find the time to get out there.

Went to the range this morning to hit a few before my afternoon round at Bethpage Black. I hit a lot of driver since you cant hit driver at the range at Bethpage. Everything was straight which is good. Irons were fine and my half wedge shots were right on target. I am feeling very confident for this afternoon.

I snuck in 30 minutes on the practice green this morning after dropping the kids off at golf camp.

For those of you who haven't seen it, go check out the SeeMore Counter Balance putter threads (JMan is doing reviews in at least one of the threads). This is a really great technology from a top notch company that really does work.

Back to the practice...I worked on distance control for a while then played a little game where I work my way around the practice green going from hole to hole with just 1 ball. The goal is to have 2 putts or less on every hole, which can actually be a little more challenging than you'd think because working your way around the outside holes gives you plenty of longer putts. Anyway, the first time around I blew it on the last hole by 3 putting but the 2nd time around I made it with exactly 2 putts per hole. Mission accomplished.

Looks like I'm going to have time to hit the range or something tonight. Only problem is that it's 100+ with the heat index. Might try to hit up the short game area.

You just need a refreshing beverage while you're hitting balls. I can think of one.

Great idea. Then I can be hot and have a nice case of lemonade heartburn at the same time.

You know me. I'm all about logistics.

Headed out to the range tonight myself. Im zeroing in on wedge play

The plan was to go to my top secret short game area tonight. I figured since it was so hot that nobody would be there. Well, I got to the course and it seemed to be empty, so I decided screw it I'm going to grab a cart and just play until I have to leave.

Started out good with two pars. Then I got to the 2nd green and saw that there were 3somes and 4somes on the next three holes. Blah. I considered skipping around, but there wasn't anybody behind me, so instead I just played the 3rd, 4th, and 5th holes two times each with a pocket full of balls instead. Hit balls into the green, putted them, then went back into the fairway and hit wedges. Good thing about all three of those holes is that they are typically tough ones for me, so I got some good work in. One is a 220 yard par 3. I know that's an 8 iron for the Shandyman, but I was thrilled to get a hybrid there tonight :D Then I drove around and found the 15th hole empty, a fun par 3. Fired a shot in there and then left.

Good night tonight for the swing. Worked on getting a little width in the back swing, which it appears I've been neglecting. Saw a little bump in distance across the board.

Took a bunch of shots from my finesse swing yardages to work out the kinks in my 9:00 swing. Also, hit some long bunker shots, which was so-so. Hard to trust that shot and I never hit it hard enough to get the ball close.

Returned tonight from a range session with a little bitter sweet feeling. Started out hitting just 9:00 wedges. With all four. Averaging 20 balls per club. With my pitching wedge I noticed that I was coming into the green left of my target line. Initially I was like this will work, but the more I worked through the wedges the more it started to really frustrate me. This is a go to shot for me, and a shot that I try to play to from the tee, or on long Par 5s. So I started over. I noticed that I was coming across my body instead of maintaining a solid hip turn with my natural in-out swing path. After I got it settled down, and back in the "groove" I moved to my 200 yard club. We have a green at 200 yds, and I like to use it as a good measuring device for measuring my swing mechanics.. Hip turn is still a little bit of a struggle, which causes more of draw bias in ball flight. In will be continuing to improve on that. Finally I worked my was Ito the 3 deep of the deck... I just love this club and its good for the confidence. Pretty good practice session for me with positive results

I like it Kevin.

The left moving finesse shot is one that I struggled with over the weekend. Worked that out tonight I hope. Same as you. I go upper body first and come across.

Good job guys.

I have the bug to go to the range and rediscover my inside/out swing path. But I am dog tired and I have tried to learn my lesson on this - if I'm not mentally there, just stay home. Tomorrow is school supply night, so that isn't happening. Maybe Friday.

That's so true Frank. Going in feeling blah is a good way to leave feeling like crap.

That's so true Frank. Going in feeling blah is a good way to leave feeling like crap.

KellyBo's video in your Playing a Draw thread from the Trackman guy re ball flight laws has really got me encouraged. My ball starts straight and mostly just barely fades right. It is totally playable but I know a slight draw = my better swing. Anyway, that video let me understand that I'm not really that far off. Ball starting straight = club face square at impact. Slight fade = just barely coming across. This has me pretty anxious to get back at it. Just not tonight :)

That's a good point and I've thought about it. I talked in that thread about wanting the pretty push-draw, but at least I know that I'm squaring up the face if it starts straight. You're close dude!

I was lucky tonight that the tee boxes were set far enough to the left that I had to really work on the things that I'd been dealing with in terms of alignment. Right side = easy for me, but left side is tough.

I got in another 45 minutes on the practice green with the counter balanced M3 this morning while/after dropping the kids off at camp.

I spent about 15 minutes working on distance control, just putting back and forth between two leaves that I placed maybe 15 feet apart. When the kids cleared the green I had it to myself and I did 3 circuits around the outside of the practice green, going from one hole to the next with the goal of averaging 2 putts or less. I changed directions after each circuit so I couldn't just dial in the reads. The holes ranged from maybe 18 to 45 feet apart. There are 6 holes, so the goal for the 3 circuits was no more than 36 putts.

I made it around in 35. I had 2 one putts, 1 three putt and the rest were 2 putts. I wasn't especially good on the lag putts, often leaving myself 4-10'. But I was mostly running the ball past the hole, which is a big improvement for me. The real money came on those 2nd putts, as I made 15 of 16, with all but maybe 2 being in that 4-10' range.

Hawk -- 220 is a firm 9.

It's like you don't even know me.

I struggled with some serious mishits last round. I suspect that too much wrist tension had me pretty much dragging the club face wide open through impact. Working on keeping the wrists loose and trying to just let the club release on its own.

Depends on the which bottom groove we're talking I suppose.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

A few screen captures from today's range session.

Flat coming back
ruhajura.jpg

Over the top starting down
usubapeb.jpg

Back inside into impact
y8y9uma8.jpg

Into a decent impact position
zemejagu.jpg

Sometimes I wonder what the hell I'm doing out there.

Had a really good range session at lunch today. Funny how much keeping your head down can help.

Get that over the top move figured out! Everything else looks good though. Plus JOE SMASH GOLF BALL!!

Upper left back is still sore, so....more chipping & putting practice! That's the only golfing I've done for nearly the past two weeks - just chipping & putting every couple of days.

Not surprisingly, I feel I'm starting to get better at chipping & putting!

Get that over the top move figured out! Everything else looks good though. Plus JOE SMASH GOLF BALL!!

Thanks buddy. I have an idea what's going on. It's really hard when your instructor tells you, "You're an impossible student. You have a two way miss. But you also have a new swing flaw everyday. Wake up the next day, and it's gone." Makes me bang my head against a wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back