Boccieri Heavy Fairway Wood Testers Thread

Wow! Great round war! Congrats on the PB and first eagle! I got my first eagle with a three wood also, when I finally listened to my dad and left the driver at home. Glad to see you are getting confident with it, confidence is vital with any club. If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right.

Love the videos, 10yard and BBB. You guys are really doing a great job here.

Wow w.e.

I didn't see your post until after I just posted that.

Awesome score and congrats on the eagle!

Love the videos, 10yard and BBB. You guys are really doing a great job here.

Thanks Hawk, I'm trying to do right by this fine opportunity. I'm also open to suggestions as to what else might be helpful, or what folks might want to see. Have camera, will travel.

Wow w.e.

I didn't see your post until after I just posted that.

Awesome score and congrats on the eagle!

Thanks Hawk. Definitely loving this Heavy 3 Wood, has me really thinking about their hybrids as well.

Thanks Hawk, I'm trying to do right by this fine opportunity. I'm also open to suggestions as to what else might be helpful, or what folks might want to see. Have camera, will travel.

boy ive heard that and it never turns out good lol.

Thanks Hawk, I love testing out products no matter what they are

BBB, just curious, what are you making your videos with? I tried using my iPhone today to shoot a few shots, and it looked terrible.

Thanks Hawk. Definitely loving this Heavy 3 Wood, has me really thinking about their hybrids as well.

WE, great stuff (as well as everyone else in here!) you guys are doing a bang-up job for sure.

The hybrids are very nice! I love my 20*, if they had a 24/25 instead of the 23 I'd have it too. For real, just as you are finding with the FW.

WE, great stuff (as well as everyone else in here!) you guys are doing a bang-up job for sure.

The hybrids are very nice! I love my 20*, if they had a 24/25 instead of the 23 I'd have it too. For real, just as you are finding with the FW.

I keep hearing that in here and i really want to try one out.

I keep hearing that in here and i really want to try one out.

You and me both my friend! Check out the Boccieri thread from Demo Day last year...good stuff about them in it.

You and me both my friend! Check out the Boccieri thread from Demo Day last year...good stuff about them in it.

I read it when it first was posted after demo day, good stuff.

boy ive heard that and it never turns out good lol.

Thanks Hawk, I love testing out products no matter what they are

Haha I know what you mean.

BBB, just curious, what are you making your videos with? I tried using my iPhone today to shoot a few shots, and it looked terrible.

I'm using an Olympus Epl1.

A question for the testers, Would the technology, benefits and results seen in this fairway wood make you think about going to the Driver, irons, wedges, putters?

Yes for me in regards to the driver. Found a crack in the face of mine last week...

Played 33 holes today using the 3w as my driver. Skipped 3 holes because I wound up behind a guy teaching his girlfriend how to play. Never saw her hit one more than 30 yds so I jumped ahead.
I couldn't acquire a satellite on my iPhone with either GolfShot or Oob so I had no GPS for measuring shots accurately. Not sure what's up with that. First time ever having a problem with GolfShot. Better luck next time hopefully.
Started off badly. No range at this course so you are cold off the first tee. Topped my first drive big time. Just swung too hard at it. You really don't need to try for more power with this club. If you put a solid, fluid swing on it, it will flat out go.
I was paired up with 2 other guys so I didn't have time to take notes on every hole. That was my only topper of the day and I had one other semi fat shot off the tee with it and it still went straight. Also sky balled 2 tee shots but that was due to teeing it up too high I feel. I use Epoch tees and the small ones for teeing up the 3w but on those 2 drives I was using a wooden tee.
I've seen the word "consistency" used in a few other reviews and I wholeheartedly agree. Now, I can assure you not every shot went dead straight but my misses were fades and draws as compared to hooks and slices with my prior 3w. And I did hit quite a few dead straight shots with this club today. Off the tee and off the turf. And I grew confident that if I put the same swing on it I did last time it went dead straight, it would do it again. And it would. Quite an amazing thing for me actually...
It was also quite a different game to always be playing from the fairway after your tee shot. The 2 guys I was paired with were killing the ball off the tee, outdriving me by 50 yards or more, but on every par 5 I am on in 3 every time and putting for birdie. 2 straight 3 woods and a wedge on felt great to me instead of right, left, right, left, on, which is what I usually do and they were doing.
I did pull out my driver for a few holes that I played solo after the twosome had to go. It might be because I have a small crack in the face of my driver but I was only hitting it about 20 yds farther than the Heavy 3w.
I also "went after it" off the tee a couple times with a little success. 2 out of 3 stayed in the fairway but 1 was the one true slice I hit all day.
Was also getting good rollout. Ball trajectory is a mid flight for me.
Overall impressions of its performance today: grade A.

Hey THP! I managed to get in a late round this afternoon/evening and the hit the Boccieri 3w on several holes with excellent results. I didn't get any video because I forgot to recharge the battery on my camera.

The course I played is North Shore Golf Club, 5 miles north of Menominee Michigan right on the shores of Green Bay. It's a fairly easy course 69.2/118 and 6122yds from the whites that I played. I shot a really disappointing 92, my putting stoke just completely left me on this round, and I had more three putts than I have ever had in my life. If I ever had a worse day putting I don't remember, but that's an issue for another thread.

The Boccieri 3w, on the other hand, really woke up in my hands on this round. After struggling a bit with it on the range, always seeming to want to go right, I had a few reservations about hitting it too much on the course, to be perfectly honest. I hit a few balls at the range with it and most of them were bad slices, but the last one I hit was straight. I don't have a blow by blow report here, I need to get a voice recorder or a sky caddie or something to keep track of things like that better, so I'll just stick to the holes where I hit the Boccieri 3w.

Hole #2 375yd par 4, First shot with the Boccieri, off the tee, I sliced badly into a stand of trees, causing me to punch out sideways with my four iron, hit my approach to around 15ft, and two putted for bogey. The only pic I have because of the failing light and taking photos with my cell phone. Can't see the pitch mark but it's in the area of the red circle.

BoccieriTeeShot.jpg

The next shot with the heavy 3w came on hole #6 320yd par4, I aimed down the left, and hit it right down the left side, ending up in the first cut, leaving ~90yds, hit an easy wedge but pulled it a bit leaving about 20 ft, and three putted for bogey.

Next up was #9 a 336yd par 4. This where the Boccieri started to shine. I aimed at the the left 150 yardage maker post, in case it sliced, and hit the ball right at the yardage post, just missing it. I drove down and found my ball about 15 yds past the yardage marker. I couldn't have had a better result if I had went down and dropped my ball where I wanted to put it off the tee. I hit my approach shot to around 12 ft, and still managed to three putt for a bogey. See a trend starting here? A disappointing 46

I decided to play the back nine, which I had never played here before because I thought I could make up a few strokes.

Holes 12and 13 were 90 degree dog leg right, 378 and 356yds respectively, I hate, HATE!!, holes like that. grrr Only 250 yds (lasered) to the evil, ball devouring, primordial forest/swamp, so no driver here. Again I pull the heavy 3w, and hit great shots on both of those holes. each time giving myself a great look at the flag. Missed the green on 12 and two putted for bogey. Hit the green on 13 and three putted for bogey. :at-wits-end:

Then comes hole #15 a short par 5 that has a 90 degree dog leg right, followed by a 90 degree dog leg left. I took an aggressive line from the tee with the Boccieri, just ticked the top leaf on the tree I was trying to go over, ended up a way short but still left me a good line for the second shot. I nailed the second shot, and again, I could not not have had a better result if I had drove down and hand placed the ball for the approach shot! 90 yds left, chunked my wedge, pitched on, and two putted for bogey.

Hole #16 375 yard par4 dogleg left. I aimed for the 150yd posts and this time blocked it right. I ended up in the first cut on the right side, having 170yds left to the green, hit an easy 5i which hit and stopped 3ft from the ball mark, leaving 20ft. Three putts later I carded yet another bogey.

# On 18 a 473yd par 5, I hit a really high, but straight, drive, leaving 223 to the middle of the green. I hit the Boccieri 3w, and caught it thick, coming up about 20yds short. It was right at it though. I pitched on and, once again, three putted for bogey. Another 46, which I was actually kind of glad to come out of there with.

All in all, I had mixed feelings about the round, elated with my ball striking and pitch shots, but disgusted with my putting. The Boccieri really performed like a champ. The words I can come up with to describe it are solid, reliable, and dependable. No surprises. No jaw dropping extra long shots, but no nasty surprises either. It turned out to be the one constant, in a round shot full of variables.

Played 33 holes today using the 3w as my driver. Skipped 3 holes because I wound up behind a guy teaching his girlfriend how to play. Never saw her hit one more than 30 yds so I jumped ahead.
I couldn't acquire a satellite on my iPhone with either GolfShot or Oob so I had no GPS for measuring shots accurately. Not sure what's up with that. First time ever having a problem with GolfShot. Better luck next time hopefully.
Started off badly. No range at this course so you are cold off the first tee. Topped my first drive big time. Just swung too hard at it. You really don't need to try for more power with this club. If you put a solid, fluid swing on it, it will flat out go.
I was paired up with 2 other guys so I didn't have time to take notes on every hole. That was my only topper of the day and I had one other semi fat shot off the tee with it and it still went straight. Also sky balled 2 tee shots but that was due to teeing it up too high I feel. I use Epoch tees and the small ones for teeing up the 3w but on those 2 drives I was using a wooden tee.
I've seen the word "consistency" used in a few other reviews and I wholeheartedly agree. Now, I can assure you not every shot went dead straight but my misses were fades and draws as compared to hooks and slices with my prior 3w. And I did hit quite a few dead straight shots with this club today. Off the tee and off the turf. And I grew confident that if I put the same swing on it I did last time it went dead straight, it would do it again. And it would. Quite an amazing thing for me actually...
It was also quite a different game to always be playing from the fairway after your tee shot. The 2 guys I was paired with were killing the ball off the tee, outdriving me by 50 yards or more, but on every par 5 I am on in 3 every time and putting for birdie. 2 straight 3 woods and a wedge on felt great to me instead of right, left, right, left, on, which is what I usually do and they were doing.
I did pull out my driver for a few holes that I played solo after the twosome had to go. It might be because I have a small crack in the face of my driver but I was only hitting it about 20 yds farther than the Heavy 3w.
I also "went after it" off the tee a couple times with a little success. 2 out of 3 stayed in the fairway but 1 was the one true slice I hit all day.

Good write up TD! Consistent is a good word to describe what I saw from the Boccieri 3w in my round today as well.

Same here. Everything I try on my iPhone is garbage.

Cell phone cameras have come a long way, but 2mm lens just doesn't take in enough light to do more than just take a few snap shots, and even then you need ton of light. Bigger is almost always better when it comes to optics. Even an inexpensive Flip camera would do a way better job for videos.

I spent more time on the range with the BGHW and again, it impresses.

I still don't have it quite dialed in, I don't hit a good shot with this for a good 5 or more swings. The big difference between the BGHW and my Callaway is that I know exactly what I'm doing wrong with the BGHW. When I get quick at the top of my swing, the result is never good. The BGHW gives me that in-swing feedback that I've come over the top or I'm out of sync. I don't know how, it just does. And as an added bonus, if I make the same BGHW-inspired swing with my ole R7 460, the result is a crushingly good drive-quite. One of those swings was possibly the best move I ever put on that driver in recent memory. It elicited a long drawn out mmhmm-to-whistle-to-curse word. Unfortunately, I looked up to a mom and her kid two stalls away staring at me in tacit disapproval. Unfortunately, I had been chatting up said mom with some success earlier, I don't think she'll be talking to me again anytime soon. Thanks BGHW - Improving my game, ruining my love life!

Anyhoo, back to the testing post ...

Unlike the previous session, I spent more time focusing on my setup and how accurate the results were based on my intended target. And wow, I was slinging some arrows out there. The range spot I go to has three palm trees way way off in the distance that I like to think of as a runway marker. (It doesn't hurt that LAX is in the background.) In my mind that triple tree width is maybe 20-25 yards wide. The worst of my "dialed-in" swings caused a baby fade that landed just outside of the palm tree runway. The good and average swings with that nice little pause at transition were with in that three-tree line up. Beautiful. This was true of my swings teed up low or off the deck - a nice revelation for my game!

I also tried to gauge distance, which can be somewhat difficult at a public range. I would put my teed average just above 215 of ball flight. I'm not so sure about roll since it was dusk and I lost the ball after the first bounce. I believe as I started striping it, those in air numbers bumped well above 220. ...and I feel like there is still distance to be had. I have never had this much fun at the range working on my game. Off the deck, I probably lost 10-15 yards, but again, I know there is more available. I feel like I'm learning how to swing a golf club all over again. What a feeling!

I noticed raves in other tester's posts about the sound. I would like to second that good vibration! This is how all golf clubs should sound - like Stan Lee wrote the text and Jack Kirby drew it in a comic book! THWACK!

LOVE IT.

Now the downside. This stock grip is starting to rip up my right hand. Almost makes me want to go two-glove! On every club in my bag, save my SW and LW, I have oversize Winn XL grips. The regular size grip on this club just does not fit my fingers. No problem on the teed shots, but off the deck, yuck. So at some point, I hope to send info to Mr. Boccieri asking about grips. I know the club uses a weight plug, so does that mean I can replace the grip with no issues, add tape to their stock grip or only outfit the BCHW with certain types of light-weight grip.

All in all, I'm definitely falling in love with this epiphany they call a 3 wood.

Next range session is in the rough.

I spent more time on the range with the BGHW and again, it impresses.

I still don't have it quite dialed in, I don't hit a good shot with this for a good 5 or more swings. The big difference between the BGHW and my Callaway is that I know exactly what I'm doing wrong with the BGHW. When I get quick at the top of my swing, the result is never good. The BGHW gives me that in-swing feedback that I've come over the top or I'm out of sync. I don't know how, it just does. And as an added bonus, if I make the same BGHW-inspired swing with my ole R7 460, the result is a crushingly good drive-quite. One of those swings was possibly the best move I ever put on that driver in recent memory. It elicited a long drawn out mmhmm-to-whistle-to-curse word. Unfortunately, I looked up to a mom and her kid two stalls away staring at me in tacit disapproval. Unfortunately, I had been chatting up said mom with some success earlier, I don't think she'll be talking to me again anytime soon. Thanks BGHW - Improving my game, ruining my love life!

Anyhoo, back to the testing post ...

Unlike the previous session, I spent more time focusing on my setup and how accurate the results were based on my intended target. And wow, I was slinging some arrows out there. The range spot I go to has three palm trees way way off in the distance that I like to think of as a runway marker. (It doesn't hurt that LAX is in the background.) In my mind that triple tree width is maybe 20-25 yards wide. The worst of my "dialed-in" swings caused a baby fade that landed just outside of the palm tree runway. The good and average swings with that nice little pause at transition were with in that three-tree line up. Beautiful. This was true of my swings teed up low or off the deck - a nice revelation for my game!

I also tried to gauge distance, which can be somewhat difficult at a public range. I would put my teed average just above 215 of ball flight. I'm not so sure about roll since it was dusk and I lost the ball after the first bounce. I believe as I started striping it, those in air numbers bumped well above 220. ...and I feel like there is still distance to be had. I have never had this much fun at the range working on my game. Off the deck, I probably lost 10-15 yards, but again, I know there is more available. I feel like I'm learning how to swing a golf club all over again. What a feeling!

I noticed raves in other tester's posts about the sound. I would like to second that good vibration! This is how all golf clubs should sound - like Stan Lee wrote the text and Jack Kirby drew it in a comic book! THWACK!

LOVE IT.

Now the downside. This stock grip is starting to rip up my right hand. Almost makes me want to go two-glove! On every club in my bag, save my SW and LW, I have oversize Winn XL grips. The regular size grip on this club just does not fit my fingers. No problem on the teed shots, but off the deck, yuck. So at some point, I hope to send info to Mr. Boccieri asking about grips. I know the club uses a weight plug, so does that mean I can replace the grip with no issues, add tape to their stock grip or only outfit the BCHW with certain types of light-weight grip.

All in all, I'm definitely falling in love with this epiphany they call a 3 wood.

Next range session is in the rough.

Great writeup...THWACK

Great updates everybody

The rollout I have seen has been great. I would imagine that when things get a little bit drier down here, I will see more. I see the same on the ball trajectory, not high, but well above a line drive. I like it.

Cell phone cameras have come a long way, but 2mm lens just doesn't take in enough light to do more than just take a few snap shots, and even then you need ton of light. Bigger is almost always better when it comes to optics. Even an inexpensive Flip camera would do a way better job for videos.

I am thinking i'm going to buy a flip this afternoon.

Hey Guys,

man some great writeups in here make it difficult to follow, but here's my first time out thoughts:

Reader's Digest: First few swings were not what I thought they'd be... I wasn't expecting as much impact from/with the back-weighting as I got. Perhaps its because I've barely swung this club before the weekend or perhaps its because I prefer a lightweight shaft/clubhead especially in my metal woods. Before I received this club for testing, I was heavily considering not playing a 3wood at all and going from Driver to 2h and 3h to fill my bag. So I hit about 7 balls on the range before playing a last minute 9. When I got to the 3wood in my warmup I had about 7 balls left and the first 3 shots were all very fat. I had been hitting the irons okay so its more likely a swing flaw (Over the top) that is somewhat accentuated with this back-weighting? I'm not exactly sure, but the final 4 balls I slowed my tempo down and really focused on that. Was it a miracle cure? No, but I will say the sound and the flight were nice. I only used the 3 wood 4 times out on the course and again, hit the first 2 somewhat fat HOWEVER I was still able to advance the ball with some authority (about 160 yds) and when hit flush, this club sounds AWESOME! I was getting just a small fade from the mid high trajectory (again only 2 shots hit flush) but it looked and sounded great. My playing partner was intrigued when I talked about the science behind it but he wasn't drawn to the club until I pointed it out that I was testing for THP and such. All in all, I definitely need to spend a lot more time, but initial thoughts are mixed.

Mini Novel:
First swings-I bought a small bucket and went through my warmup process of hitting wedges and working my way up the bag. By the time I got to the 3 wood I had only a few balls remaining and I didn't want to get stuck with the back-weighting either way (having the feeling of "needing" it in other clubs or "hating" it in this club and not pulling it out in the round). So the first swing, I tried to do what I always do, hit it hard, go over the top, get my hands too involved and whammo; FAT CITY. The first time with the weight though it doesn't seem all that noticeable at address, when you get to your transition you can really feel it. I tried again, almost the same result; FAT. At this point, I know my tempo is so very VERY inconsistent so I try and focus on that for just a second. I slow down my takeaway and try not to swing hard or fast and as I'm bring the club I almost feel like my hands are being forced down sooner if that makes any sense to which I bring my elbow down and in. Not that the back-weight has forced me to do so, but it in my mind I'm thinking about it more. The last couple balls, great solid contact with a beautiful sound and a very nice mid/high trajectory and slight fade. I know it was only like 3 shots but it felt very nice. I finally felt like I found something that made me slow down my tempo consistently. I really try and work on this but, when I starting thinking too much during my swing I think I can't really play golf anymore. Its not fun to me.

On the course - I didn't really talk much about it at first as I don't want to seem like a salesmen, but when I used it on the course for the first time my buddy didn't think much of it. I took my first swing from the tee of a par 4... I remembered others talking about not teeing it up very much so I went with just the head of the tee above ground. I rarely hit 3wood off the tee and if I do, its teed much like a wedge for me... I prefer fairway woods off the deck. As usual, I try and swing too hard (even though I'm thinking I'm trying to swing "faster" again too many thoughts creep into my head) so I ended up hitting it fat. But enough contact was made that I still got it to carry about 160 yards but with a bigger fade (alright slice) than anyone would like. So forgiveness? Yes, I believe this club has it, and I need all the forgiveness I can get! This was somewhat surprising as the face/head seem just ever so slightly smaller than my old Diablo.

The 2nd swing on the course with it was again another par 4 tee. I teed it up just a hair lower, and I still hit it a little fat, but this time it was much better contact. I think I got it to carry about 200 but still with a bigger fade than I'd like. Now I had my buddy's attention. He asked about it and I gave him the run down of what I know about Boccieri, and the back-weighting technology. Now he was intrigued! He asked to check it out and I let him swing it a couple times and he didn't seem to think it was all that heavy but he liked the look of it and how it wasn't overly flashy but clean and simple.

Now comes the good part - My 3rd swing on the course, playing a par 5 and I'm ~230 out with my 2nd shot according to sprinkler heads. I hit this flush and the sound was absolutely fantastic! Just a classic yet short ping and this ball was well on its way, beautiful mid/high trajectory and straight man it felt great! The ball barely started to cut near the end as the ball carried the green, one hopped and jumped off the back. I look down, no divot, just barely compressed the grass.

My fourth and final shot on the course - 2nd par 5 of the nine and the 9th hole. Drive into the rough on the right side leaving about ~220. I pull out the Heavy 3w as I've got a decent lie, and I put another good swing on it trying to let the club do all the work. I hit this one pretty well IMO, I think I carried about 200 yards and it was straight but the trajectory was higher as I kinda got under it and the ball hopped and didn't roll out leaving me about 10+yds short of the green.

In conclusion, I need forgiveness and at this time I believe this club to offer that. I also need help with my tempo without needing to think about it. At this time I get in my own way for sure and with only one club being back-weighted and only using it about 3 or 4 times a side this might make that very difficult. I could absolutely see the benefits long term and hopefully I will see that come to fruition. I can also see how this would be a huge benefit to have all my metal woods be of this variety and would then help eliminate the "rareness" of using this club in such limited fashion to the point where I wouldn't have to think about it. But hey that's why golf is so difficult!

Last edited:
Great updates D and Spiff! The more I hit the Boccieri, the more It grows on me.

Back