TaylorMade Launches R11 Irons

Before purchasing Tour Burners back a few years ago, I had played 690 MBs and before that Mizunos TP-9s. And blades for many years prior to those two. It took a while to get used to the thicker top lines visually, but I hit the ball better almost immediately. Last year I tried to hit both MB sets one day on the range and basically couldn't get the club face on the ball. The really thin top line was kind of a problem visually after three or four seasons with the Tour Burners.

The brain can be trained. I like the look of CBs, and while not exactly thin on the top, they look sleeker than the TBs. The R11s offer that same look in my opinion.

Kevin

Before purchasing Tour Burners back a few years ago, I had played 690 MBs and before that Mizunos TP-9s. And blades for many years prior to those two. It took a while to get used to the thicker top lines visually, but I hit the ball better almost immediately. Last year I tried to hit both MB sets one day on the range and basically couldn't get the club face on the ball. The really thin top line was kind of a problem visually after three or four seasons with the Tour Burners.

The brain can be trained. I like the look of CBs, and while not exactly thin on the top, they look sleeker than the TBs. The R11s offer that same look in my opinion.

Kevin

Well said Kevin. My wedges have a very thin top line and I have no trouble moving from those over to my "clunky" R11's.

No it does not, but say if you have been driving a Lamborghini for a few years, you'd be all used to its sharp edges and probably wouldn't consider a Porsche as your next ride? (if that makes any sense)

I understand now. Just a personal preference. What is this I hear about JRod being a diva?:act-up:

The topline of the R11 is not bad at all IMO. I have been playing the Nike VR Split Cavity irons for a couple years now, and the topline is relatively thin. I have looking at some other irons and they just looked like shovels because of the thick topline, but I was so impressed with the look and feedback of the R11 irons I thought I would check them out for myself at the store. I came away really impressed with the look, and while I haven't got to hit them yet, I know they are an iron I could game. I am finally at the point where I can afford another set of irons, so I have been going back and forth between a combo set of MCs and MBs, some Nike VR Pro Combo's, and the R11s. The first 2 sets would be very similar, but the R11's would give me more forgiveness. They also look effin sweet. I should be making my decision in the next couple of weeks...

Pondered and did some calculating this morning before work, came to decent conclusions. R11's are on the radar!

Time to really start hitting these and another set with some shaft combos and getting an idea of what suits me.

--
tapatalk

It's always the Mizuno fans that say this too. Topline thickness plays no role in anything to me. It's not something I pay attention to.....ever.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I think it's a comfort thing. 6 years or playing a thin topline is probably the same as 6 years playing with a giant mallet style putter or something like that. Change it up, and it's kind of awkward, no? I am definitely guilty of this. I am working hard to STOP being guilty of it, but when you get comfortable with something and play it long enough, it takes a while to transition to something noticeably different.

I really need to get out and hit these.. Still haven't even swung one. I struggled with the R9's but I've been extremely impressed with this years TM offerings... Gotta think these aren't an exception!!

I've never putted with a mallet style putter until about 5 months ago. Now I'm a better putter. I have no problem with someone liking what they like but from my experiences, and in my opinion, people sacrafice they scores b/c of the way something looks.

I think it's a comfort thing. 6 years or playing a thin topline is probably the same as 6 years playing with a giant mallet style putter or something like that. Change it up, and it's kind of awkward, no? I am definitely guilty of this. I am working hard to STOP being guilty of it, but when you get comfortable with something and play it long enough, it takes a while to transition to something noticeably different.

I really need to get out and hit these.. Still haven't even swung one. I struggled with the R9's but I've been extremely impressed with this years TM offerings... Gotta think these aren't an exception!!

What were your problems with the R9's? I play them and love them, but I've heard the R11's are very similar in performance to the R9's.

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

I think the R9s and the R11s are very similar. I just think the R11s are little longer. I think it could be a great thing to have the feel and be longer.

I've never putted with a mallet style putter until about 5 months ago. Now I'm a better putter. I have no problem with someone liking what they like but from my experiences, and in my opinion, people sacrafice they scores b/c of the way something looks.

But mizuno irons are the best.

haha I guess that's why some 20 handicappers buy the newest blades available.. Like I said, I'm definitely guilty of it, but I'm working on not being as guilty of it. It's just something that you can get into so easily, and making the switch isn't as easy afterwards. Just my opinion of course.

What were your problems with the R9's? I play them and love them, but I've heard the R11's are very similar in performance to the R9's.

I switched from Mizuno MP-32 blades.. They were just so substantially different, that after about two weeks of playing them, and I was pushing eeeeverything right -- for the record, I believe NOW that it was a swing flaw that was auto-corrected by the workability of the blades, whereas the R9 essentially hit it pure to the way the club was contacting the ball.

They were just too much of a switch, so I panicked and sold them.

But mizuno irons are the best.

OEM thought he was making a joke, but in fact just told the buttery soft truth.

On to the R11's though. Hit them at RD today and thought they felt great, sounded great, and went long and straight. Not an in depth assesment. Just a quick .02. However, I will not be leaving my Z-Stars.

Tempo, timing, tapping.

OEM thought he was making a joke, but in fact just told the buttery soft truth.

On to the R11's though. Hit them at RD today and thought they felt great, sounded great, and went long and straight. Not an in depth assesment. Just a quick .02. However, I will not be leaving my Z-Stars.

Tempo, timing, tapping.

I'm curious about that last part there. So in your assessment theyre good but not that good? And the Zstars are that good. And throw money out of the equation too. And the fact the zstars are still new.

Which R11 thread is this?

Kevin

I get confused about which thread is which. I think we should be talking in the other one though.

I think it's about the irons. I hope so because I hate the R11 driver.

I meant which R11 iron thread. I can't remember what I post in which.

If you loved the R11 driver it would love you back. Long time.

Kevin

Oh I see. This isn't the MC approved thread.

I get confused about which thread is which. I think we should be talking in the other one though.

One's launching, one's reviewing. I fear some launch comments get into the review, and some reviews get into the launch.

Kevin

One's launching, one's reviewing. I fear some launch comments get into the review, and some reviews get into the launch.

Kevin

True, but they've both been good threads to read so far. I love the reviews so far, and I'm super excited about the launch of them too!

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

Back