Ping G20 Irons Review Thread

Great info. I consider myself a digger as well and have to wonder the compatibility. What about the shaft, any info there?

Tap,Tap,Tap

Great info. I consider myself a digger as well and have to wonder the compatibility. What about the shaft, any info thete?

Tap,Tap,Tap

I have not had any issues with the shaft. It works as advertised for me. It gets the ball up pretty quickly is the one thing I noticed.

Spent this morning hitting balls with these to get a better feel for what I am working with here. Used nothing but the 8 iron and worked on distance control and answering the question of whether or not someone can "work" the ball with these. The answer is yes without a doubt. Draw and fade worked absolutely fine and came in high with a nice soft landing. Keeping the ball low was more troublesome as can be expected by an iron such as this.

One thing to note with these is that they do have a wider sole than I am used to and because of that, I did find myself catching the ball thin every now and then due to the sole bouncing off the hard grass rather than digging. I am a digger of the ball, not a picker and this did happen on more than one occasion (more me than the clubs though).

One last thing from this update is that I think that these feel different than just about any other Pings I have hit in the past. Not better or worse mind you, just different. Of course I also believe that it is completely based on sound and these have a very nice smooth and muted sound that I really enjoy.

Interesting stuff JB. Do you think the feeling difference comes from a poss change in face composition or did PING change its dampening technology in the back as found in previous lines?

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Great update, sounds like if one can get past the wide sole / look of these clubs and focus on the performance they are a great choice. I plan to hit these, and Ping's other offerings on Tuesday at a Demo Day they are hosting nearby.

Interesting stuff JB. Do you think the feeling difference comes from a poss change in face composition or did PING change its dampening technology in the back as found in previous lines?

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

I think there is more of it and thus it has changed the sound a little to a more muted sound. My opinion anyway.

Great update, sounds like if one can get past the wide sole / look of these clubs and focus on the performance they are a great choice. I plan to hit these, and Ping's other offerings on Tuesday at a Demo Day they are hosting nearby.

Maybe. I have never cared one bit about thicker soles or thicker toplines, so I am not hte guy to ask.

Spent this morning hitting balls with these to get a better feel for what I am working with here. Used nothing but the 8 iron and worked on distance control and answering the question of whether or not someone can "work" the ball with these. The answer is yes without a doubt. Draw and fade worked absolutely fine and came in high with a nice soft landing. Keeping the ball low was more troublesome as can be expected by an iron such as this.

One thing to note with these is that they do have a wider sole than I am used to and because of that, I did find myself catching the ball thin every now and then due to the sole bouncing off the hard grass rather than digging. I am a digger of the ball, not a picker and this did happen on more than one occasion (more me than the clubs though).

One last thing from this update is that I think that these feel different than just about any other Pings I have hit in the past. Not better or worse mind you, just different. Of course I also believe that it is completely based on sound and these have a very nice smooth and muted sound that I really enjoy.

Great update JB, I am more of a digger myself and I saw some of the same issues hitting a demo 6 iron yesterday at the range...I kinda felt like I "drop kicked" several shots if you can understand that analogy. It felt like the club bounced into the ball on some shots.

Great update JB, I am more of a digger myself and I saw some of the same issues hitting a demo 6 iron yesterday at the range...I kinda felt like I "drop kicked" several shots if you can understand that analogy. It felt like the club bounced into the ball on some shots.

This is something that can happen for me as well. And yes it is really user error in that we are not making ball first contact, it can be frustrating with wider soled irons for those of us that do come in steep. Nothing that would keep me from playing these mind you as I am all for the extra forgiveness.

My thin shots (my miss) tend to fly lower than my regular ball flight. That is no different with the Pings.

After boxing them up, preparing a shipping label, I decided to check on activity. Unfortunately you dont qualify at this time. If you want to test equipment on THP, you need more than 50 posts in a year. However active posters will always have a chance to test out some amazing equipment on THP.

So is there a bunch of roll out for distance, or are you getting similar carry, just on a lower trajectory? Not trying to be a pain, just trying to figure out how the distance is working out.

So is there a bunch of roll out for distance, or are you getting similar carry, just on a lower trajectory? Not trying to be a pain, just trying to figure out how the distance is working out.

Distance is similar to my Z-Stars. I dont get roll out much on my irons.
As for thin shots, usually, they are lower trajectory that can run for a while.

Distance is similar to my Z-Stars. I dont get roll out much on my irons.
As for thin shots, usually, they are lower trajectory that can run for a while.

Got it. Thank you for the clarification

Adding these to the iron sets that I will have to try out when I buy new irons this winter! Maybe I will be adding a 0 to the end of my G2 Irons :banana:

THP should have sent a set to me! I am looking at the G20's and will probably get fitted on Monday!

Got fitted today at Golf Galaxy for Ping G20's!, Hit the Ping 7 Iron 15 yards further than my current 7 Iron, nice distance gain and straight!
Ordered 6-PW and the SW as well since I'm a +1" Silver dot (+3.75 lie) in Graphite senior flex. Think it might work better for me than a standard off the rack Sand wedge.
Delivery from Ping is currently....7-10 days.
It's gonna be a long wait.........

Congrats on the purchase, keep us updated with how you transition to them.

For those that are curious about G15's vs G20's, distance is similar but feel is different. The G15's clubface has a harder feel to it on good and miss hits. The dampeners Ping put in the back of the G20's face smoothen out the hit for a nicer, softer feel in my opinion. The difference in price is currently about $13 more per club for G20 graphite at this time. (G15's graphite $99.99/club vs G20's graphite ($112.99), custom fit for you.

Must say, liking the sole shape of these a lot more than the look at the G15s. The top line still looked really large, but really want to get a chance to hit these as I feel this is more the type of iron i should be hitting.

Great update's JB, nice to hear how these are working for someone with a lower handicap, though a GI iron.

JB -

How do these compare to the Burner 2.0's in regards to distance, forgiveness and feel? How did your round of golf go with the G20's?

As a long time Ping S59 guy, I had a chance to try these today. Very impressed. I agree with JB on the feel. I've played Ping back to the K1s and these feel really good...much better IMO that the G15 which is a good club also. I wonder if it's the new CFS shaft. Nice high ball flight, definitely not hook machines which a lot of people will think and good consistent distance. These or the I20's may be the clubs to finally knock the 59s out.

Well I have played 2 rounds with my fitted G20 Irons. When I hit them good they fly far and straight! Gained 10-15 yards on my irons, overshooting some greens now. However, I am messing up a lot of my iron shots and it has cost me an increase of about 10 strokes per round.

I know I really need to get out to the driving range and practice with these new irons (new lie angle, more upright). Has anyone else had a problem transitioning to fitted irons? How many rounds did it take before you felt comfortable?

What irons were you playing before?

What irons were you playing before?

Hawk, it was a cheap boxed set I purchased last year at Dick's. Slazenger ATX Wrath with senior graphite shafts. The Irons were shaped somewhat like Big Bertha's with a huge cavity and sole. My problem with them was a lack of distance and accuracy.

It can take awhile to get used to irons. When you say 'messing up' your iron shots, what do you mean?

Has anybody hit the G20 and RAZR X side-by-side, or has hit both and can thoughts on how they compare?

It can take awhile to get used to irons. When you say 'messing up' your iron shots, what do you mean?

Messing up = Not a clean hit, to deep a divot or topping the ball, both extremes. I think an iron session at the driving range is in order.

The G20's feel real good when hit properly, nice high trajectory, straight as an arrow, great distance, smooth feel but with feedback that you know you nailed it, don't even need to look....the ball is right where you wanted it. Even miss hits aren't far off the mark.

My problem is different, has to do with the lie angle and shape of the club face being somewhat different from what I have been playing.

Good luck man. My experience has been that is can be tough to switch irons. It will come around for you!

Good luck man. My experience has been that is can be tough to switch irons. It will come around for you!

Thanks Hawk, I will update the thread in a couple of days. Plan is driving range tomorrow, then I will play a round on Sunday and another on Tuesday.

Back