Our Girl Does Real Good :-)

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
A 12 year old girl at our club played in the USGA Girls Junior Championship (winning the regional qualifier to get in). She had to play two days medal play to qualify to get into the match play rounds. The course was 6400/77.8/142.

She was competing against girls from all over the world up to 18 years old. She shot a 69 on the first day and a 71 on the second day to finish tied for third after the two day medal play. In the first round of match play she won 2 up and during the second round she lost after 21 holes. Overall an excellent showing for a 12 year old. The Golf Channel interviewed she and her father briefly after the round. I've played with them both a number of times and she is the real deal.

Just for the experience she also tried to qualify for the US Women's Open earlier this year, and while she didn't make it she did shoot a 78 and 79.

Paula Creamer was at our club a few years back and watched her hit balls. She said to her, "I'll see you in ten years."

What makes this more interesting is she lives just outside of Boston (no golf 12 months a year), her father is her only instructor and he is self-taught having never had a lesson.

Great stuff! That'll be great experience for her too.

No Golf 12 months a year?? :wtf:

No Golf 12 months a year?? :wtf:

I think he meant (and I could be wrong) that it's not a state with a 12 months/year golf season.

Congrats to her, that's amazing for a 12 year old. Hell, that's amazing for a 20 year old - if she stays with it she'll be a fine addition to the LPGA tour someday.

Great stuff Sean, thanks for the info. Sounds like good news for Golf USA!

Major phenom. Incredible.

Kevin

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like she has a great deal of natural talent and a great work ethic. That's a great combo.

That is awesome!

That is awesome for a 12 year old. Keep us updated.

Very Kool.

It is fun to watch her hit golf balls. A real talent. And yes, I meant she is unable to play in the winter months, except for hitting balls in a heated bay off mats. :) She usually plays a big tournament in Florida at Doral in December and has won it a couple of times.

congrats Sean!

get her autograph nowwww:D

Is she of Asian descent? I think I saw a special on her on Golf Channel during the broadcast of the tournament.

Back