TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Playing a really tight course tomorrow morning, and the 4 wood will be used a lot. I plan on changing the loft to higher to limit roll on the soggy fairways.

Tap before talk.

Looking forward to the feedback.

Playing a really tight course tomorrow morning, and the 4 wood will be used a lot. I plan on changing the loft to higher to limit roll on the soggy fairways.

Tap before talk.

Thats actually something Im looking forward to testing with my 4W. Because on these clubs the higher you adjust the loft the more of a draw bias it gives the club so Im curious to see how much roll will be taken away with the loft increased and the ASP left on nuetral.

How durable is the white finish? I hit one today at Golfsmith in Indy that looked like crap on the crown.

I think the poor condition of the ones at that Golfsmith is more due to the fact that people do not care to take care of them. Nobody takes care of your stuff like you do.

I think the poor condition of the ones at that Golfsmith is more due to the fact that people do not care to take care of them. Nobody takes care of your stuff like you do.

i noticed the same - dirty heads - but it is white - i think there was a conversation around magic erasers. they clean the heck of these new white clubs!

I got my Project X Tour shafts back from Golf Galaxy yesterday and they were tipped with last year's TM tip and gripped with New Decades.

I hit the R11 driver and 3 wood with these shafts and they felt really good. I mainly wanted to make sure the heads wouldn't fly off so I only hit a few drivers and about 10 3 wood shots in their sim and then it was off to the range. Since I don't have the 3 wood yet, I wanted to get an idea for weight and feel. I really liked the 3 wood quite a bit. I was getting a little bit of a push, which was to be expected because of the neutral setting, but was getting between 270 and 280 off the deck with it. After hitting in the sim with the 3 wood, I want it even more now.

At the range I hit about 20 shots to see how the shaft would perform compared to the TP Project X. All I can say is wow. Very windy day and the shaft performed admirably. I noticed more accuracy, it was longer and the flight was even more penetrating. Going after the ball, the shaft stayed with me and was quite the performer. I'll know more as I hit it, but initial thoughts of the Tour shaft in the R11 is a great combo for me.

I got my Project X Tour shafts back from Golf Galaxy yesterday and they were tipped with last year's TM tip and gripped with New Decades.

I hit the R11 driver and 3 wood with these shafts and they felt really good. I mainly wanted to make sure the heads wouldn't fly off so I only hit a few drivers and about 10 3 wood shots in their sim and then it was off to the range. Since I don't have the 3 wood yet, I wanted to get an idea for weight and feel. I really liked the 3 wood quite a bit. I was getting a little bit of a push, which was to be expected because of the neutral setting, but was getting between 270 and 280 off the deck with it. After hitting in the sim with the 3 wood, I want it even more now.

At the range I hit about 20 shots to see how the shaft would perform compared to the TP Project X. All I can say is wow. Very windy day and the shaft performed admirably. I noticed more accuracy, it was longer and the flight was even more penetrating. Going after the ball, the shaft stayed with me and was quite the performer. I'll know more as I hit it, but initial thoughts of the Tour shaft in the R11 is a great combo for me.

Very nice biggsy! I know that this combo is going to be ideal for you. I enjoyed our conversation a couple of days ago about the accuracy of the R11. I think the white plays a larger role in that than I give credit for.

I had a stellar day with the R11 driver yesterday. I cannot believe how confident I am in this driver but also, how freaking good it's performing for me. Long and straight! I hit some bombs yesterday, seriously, I was on the front edge of a 349 yard par 4. Of course the tee box was elevated and I hit the cart path running up the right side, lol. I still figured I carried that ball 300 in order for in to bounce off the cart path and end up where it did.

I do believe that when you hit this driver in the middle of the sweet spot it comes alive!

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Taking the R11 out to the course today. Going to play with the settings a little on the range before the round to see if I can bring the ball flight up just a little.

How durable is the white finish? I hit one today at Golfsmith in Indy that looked like crap on the crown.

Extremely durable in our testing. And it does not show scratches like a standard driver as well as skymarks (and trust me our testers have put what should have been a few on there) hehe

Taking the R11 out to the course today. Going to play with the settings a little on the range before the round to see if I can bring the ball flight up just a little.

Looking forward to feedback.

I do believe that when you hit this driver in the middle of the sweet spot it comes alive!
Like I was telling you, I've hit the center of this face a lot easier than my other driver. It's very easy to align and easy to hit.

Happy to hear it's working out so well for you, you are crushing it.

I went and played a quick nine after work yesterday. I played the R11 as much as possible. It did really great off the tee. I did have two hooks with it and the rest were small fades. The distance I had with it was great. I think I was averaging about 10 to 15 yds more than the old R9. I am going today to a certified TM professional to day to dial it in with a launch monitor. I am really interested to see what numbers are going to show up. I have been just hitting it and enjoying the ball flight so far. I can't wait to perfect it and maybe I can be a bit more consistent with it. I hope dialing it in will help with that too. It seemed like the Kingdom guys had better results after they finished their fittings. I will let everybody know how it goes and post my low numbers if I get a chance to print them out. HAHA.

Good luck Chunk - throw some scuffed up (non-range) balls in the bag and use those to dial yourself in. It makes a world of difference.

I am going out to play both today and tomorrow so i will have some on course thoughts about the R11 5 Wood I am testing. I am looking forwardto this as there are several shots on this course that I normally use my 5 wood so i will really be able to compare it to my previous 5 wood.

I am going out to play both today and tomorrow so i will have some on course thoughts about the R11 5 Wood I am testing. I am looking forwardto this as there are several shots on this course that I normally use my 5 wood so i will really be able to compare it to my previous 5 wood.

Looking forward to it RW. All I know is after my 3-4 range/sim sessions, I have a ton of confidence in this club.

Tap before talk.

Great post dmb, I have no doubt that you'll get it dialed in exactly how you want it.

I spent a lot of time hitting the R11 today on the range. Since the Kingdom experience I had been dying to hit this thing after I get a chance to work on a little swing tip I rec'd that day. My round immediately after the Kingdom didn't go so well off the tee with the R11, mainly due to trying to work in something new and remember what I had been doing- kinda made me struggle some. Since that day I've have 3 range sessions and I have taken countless swings in my living room to get that change ingrained in my memory.

Today I felt really good over the ball and the results showed with the R11, I was just killing it dead on line every single time I hit it. I hit something like 15 balls right in a row that did not leave my target line and ended up being right where I thought they'd go. Even on my best days I've never been able to hit that many shots in a row that were both long and straight. The R11 is the real deal, it blew me away today!

I hit an R11 finally yesterday! Once I got over the difference of looking down on a white club head I really loved it. It had a very solid feel to it and I absolutely loved my ball flight with it. Looking forward to possibly getting my hands on one.

The chain of golf shops in my area is having a "Spin to Win" sale thru the 28th of the month and one of the prizes on the wheel is a $1500 Taylor Made shopping spree. One spin a day and I've just started going every day to try to win it so I can get my hands on the R11 driver and 3 wood. Yesterday was the first one, only got a 10% discount on whatever I buy in the shop. Will keep on tryin'....

Hey folks,
So I was out at the range today, here are my thoughts on my new (played with TM demos as I didnt want to scrtach mine up) driver and 3W.

Driver- 9*
Increased loft, to higher setting. Opened clubface, 10g in the toe.
First two shoots, nothing to write home about. Toed for about 200 yards. From there it settled in. My average distance on 20 shots, 310. SS: 107. That is on par with my old supertri, except my dispersion was MUCH better. Straight down the pipe with a mid trajectory. It felt like it was point and shoot. Tried the Octane from the guy beside me, nice but nothing near the R11.

3W' 16*, open
I first thought it was a huge mistake trading my r9. I miss hit the first 7 shots. Made some corrections (grip and swing). The money started to flow. Distance avg on 13 (minus the bad ones, biased, I am) 265 straight donw the pipe. Once again point and shoot.

On both clubs, my goal today was to test distance and accuracy. I did not play with my clubs, but I would expect to be a tad better. The stock grips do not do it for me. I swapped out to double layer midsize multi-compounds. I also play with stock shafts. I am happy with what I am seeing with these shafts and so is the wallet. Ball flight is perfect for me.

Thanks for the excellent write up Mark. I noticed a similar thing with the R11 being similar in distance but MUCH straighter. I can't wait to turn this beast loose on the golf course!

Thanks for the excellent write up Mark. I noticed a similar thing with the R11 being similar in distance but MUCH straighter. I can't wait to turn this beast loose on the golf course!

I haven't read this whole thread, sorry, but are you hitting the ball high with this club, Jake? I like a driver to get up in the air, and know this is supposed to be low spin which concerns me. Is the Blur shaft high enough launching for you, and what loft do you have? Are you changing the loft, lie, and bias with the doohickey?

Kevin

Hey folks,
So I was out at the range today, here are my thoughts on my new (played with TM demos as I didnt want to scrtach mine up) driver and 3W.

Driver- 9*
Increased loft, to higher setting. Opened clubface, 10g in the toe.
First two shoots, nothing to write home about. Toed for about 200 yards. From there it settled in. My average distance on 20 shots, 310. SS: 107. That is on par with my old supertri, except my dispersion was MUCH better. Straight down the pipe with a mid trajectory. It felt like it was point and shoot. Tried the Octane from the guy beside me, nice but nothing near the R11.

3W' 16*, open
I first thought it was a huge mistake trading my r9. I miss hit the first 7 shots. Made some corrections (grip and swing). The money started to flow. Distance avg on 13 (minus the bad ones, biased, I am) 265 straight donw the pipe. Once again point and shoot.

On both clubs, my goal today was to test distance and accuracy. I did not play with my clubs, but I would expect to be a tad better. The stock grips do not do it for me. I swapped out to double layer midsize multi-compounds. I also play with stock shafts. I am happy with what I am seeing with these shafts and so is the wallet. Ball flight is perfect for me.

Nice write up, 310 avg with a 107 SS is huge, i dont think i have heard that kind of distance with that SS, i may be wrong but i thought i saw Biggsy's (hope i spelled that correct lol) simulator screen shot and he was up in the 120's SS getting that distance and a little more

I haven't read this whole thread, sorry, but are you hitting the ball high with this club, Jake? I like a driver to get up in the air, and know this is supposed to be low spin which concerns me. Is the Blur shaft high enough launching for you, and what loft do you have? Are you changing the loft, lie, and bias with the doohickey?

Kevin
I have a 9* head (normally I always played 9.5) and at first it was set to lower but now I have it right on 9* and it does go plenty high for me. Not too high, not too low, if I were to guess my launch angle today I'd say probably around 10 degrees. I could set the Flight Control to higher and get it up to 10 degrees but for me that would be too high I believe. The Blur TP shaft I have in it seems perfect for a mid launch, I'm inclined to think that it must be a little higher launching shaft since my 9* head is going higher or every bit as high as a 9.5 usually goes for me. You could go 9 degree head, open the face with the ASP and set it the FCT to high and probably sky this thing as high as I hit a PW if you really wanted to. That's the beauty of the adjustability of this club. The funny thing is, a week ago at this time I had NO idea what ASP and FCT and MWT mumbo jumbo was, but now that I've learned it I know that I can make this club do whatever it is I want it to do. Within reason of course!

I have my head set to closed and my loft set at standard (9 degree) and I also have the heavier 10g weight in the heel of the club to promote more of a draw. Basically all these settings are to combat a big push to the right for me.

Hello Guys and gals,
Last night my 3 wood came in with a Matrix Ozik HD7 stiff shaft that I ordered and was very excited to get it! I went to the store and went right to the launch monitor to hit this bad boy. I hit about 15 shots off a tee and was getting 245 – 265 consistently in the fairway. Also hit a few off the deck and getting similar results. I could not wait to wake up today and play with it on the course because I have never really had a 3 wood that I can trust. Getting fitted properly with this shaft and the launch monitor results, I figured this was going to be a great day!
On my second hit with it on the driving range the face of the club shattered… and so did I. There was a hole about the size of a quarter and that piece went right into the clubhead. I really wanted to play with this thing today. I brought it back and the store gave me a new head so all is well, but I thought this type of information should be on this thread in case it happens to anyone else which I hope does not. I won’t be playing until Tuesday but the good news is that I will be in Florida and hopefully finally get to play with this club.
By the way, I really love this shaft!

I have a 9* head (normally I always played 9.5) and at first it was set to lower but now I have it right on 9* and it does go plenty high for me. Not too high, not too low, if I were to guess my launch angle today I'd say probably around 10 degrees. I could set the Flight Control to higher and get it up to 10 degrees but for me that would be too high I believe. The Blur TP shaft I have in it seems perfect for a mid launch, I'm inclined to think that it must be a little higher launching shaft since my 9* head is going higher or every bit as high as a 9.5 usually goes for me. You could go 9 degree head, open the face with the ASP and set it the FCT to high and probably sky this thing as high as I hit a PW if you really wanted to. That's the beauty of the adjustability of this club. The funny thing is, a week ago at this time I had NO idea what ASP and FCT and MWT mumbo jumbo was, but now that I've learned it I know that I can make this club do whatever it is I want it to do. Within reason of course!

I have my head set to closed and my loft set at standard (9 degree) and I also have the heavier 10g weight in the heel of the club to promote more of a draw. Basically all these settings are to combat a big push to the right for me.

Thanks, Jake. I was thinking the 10.5* and then I would dial it down from there. Then i would have a mid-launch shaft with a more lofted club I could dial up or down to change the ball flight. I asked you a question in SF 2.0 thread too.

Kevin

Kevin

Hey Kevin,
I was playing a supertri 11*. When fit, it was noticed that the 9 lofted a tad higher was producing my best trajectory. I would say it is in the middle ball park. If I had a 10.5 tuned up to 11 or 11.5, then you would probably notice a higher launch. I am one of those people who get sucked into shaft talk. I understand their importance. However, the Blur works fine for me. I am not going to the PGA anytime soon, maybe with a RIP :)

TM made adjusting this thing easier than the ST. I have mine set at higher, open face, 10g in toe.

I will say this, I was skeptical (as one should be) about this driver. I am not trying to blow any hype, but the thing is money. Plain and simple. Would I ask someone to limit themself to only this, no. There are other fine offerings out there (cleveland and srixon). This thing works for me, I am happy, thats what counts. Another thing that surprised me was the ASP and it really works. I thought it was gimmicky. Not one bit. If you like to tinker and get results, look no further. You will also notice a difference at set up. My advice is to go somewhere where they will let you adjust settings or fit you with adjusted settings.

Just some other thoughts:
- you do not have to kill this thing. You will notice that if you hit it with enough ummph then you will be rewarded with a nice straight shot.
- Performance is in the paint. Clubhead alignment was an area that I would struggle with sometimes. Especially if I was having a 'bad day'. This head frames the ball nicely.
- During practice swings, the white is easy to focus on (if you like to look at your swing).

As you can read, I am impressed. I feel that this driver should be on everyone's list of considerations. You really can adjust this club to get the best out of your swing.

Back