No topping and new swing after one youtube video from Shawn Clement

I thought He does say to have more weight on the front foot, right

It does seem very similar to stack and tilt.

Update- played 18 yesterday, my ball striking is on point with the left lean. I'm even taking a shallow divot after the ball which I've never done before (was always a picker). Lost some strokes on some 2 chips and 3 putts, but I'm loving the rest of my game thanks to this video tip :)

Good to hear felit0. Keep us up to date on your progress. Darn might have to go to the range after work to try myself after hearing your positive feedback.

The video mentioned in this thread is a good drill to get through the ball. Keep up the great work and bookmark this tip!

Hey guys,

i only started playing golf last year (oct)

and luckily for me i found shawn videos on youtube before i got to bogged down with other methods.

i started to really watch and learn his videos in march this year, its taking me a bit of time, as at first i thought i was doing what shawn teaches,

But after i watched my self on video i could see what i was doing was wrong :drool: .

Any way it probably took me a good few months to really grasp shawns concept.
But i can tell you now that my consistency has gone through the roof and i have gained distance and without any back or hip issue.

It really is an easy swing once you know how to do it.

I used this technique over the weekend for chips around the green and for shots 50 to 60 yards and in. It took me a couple tried to get used to it, but by the back 9 I will really feeling it. Loved the consistency and I am going to keep using this shot for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for this video post. I really struggle with topping the ball and not making solid contact. It is unbelievably frustrating!! I will try some of the tips in the video. Thanks!

Glad to see Shanw's videos gaining interest here.

I too was blown away by the analogies and concepts taught by Shawn when I first encountered them a year or two ago.
He's all about swinging freely, using mother nature (gravity) and understanding the physics of our bodies.

His teaching is not stack and tilt. Many presume a swing to be stack and tilt just because of the weight being forward. But his is clearly not stack and tilt. He even say so himself that it is NOT stack and tilt (see one of his older videos). There are much more to stack and tilt than the weight being forward that there really isn't much resemblence to Shawn's method.

Even if your not too keen about his particular swing method, there's lot to learn from him (especially the early videos)

Last edited:
So this thread has really turned me on to Shawn's videos. I've seen some before but never put them into practice. I don't want to say it's drastically helped my game but his tips sure are helpful when I'm struggling.

Just an update on this..I switched completely my swing to this Shawn Clemet way. There is now less topping as before, although it still happens, especially from the tee.
I have to be very aware about weight distribution in the backswing. If I put too much weight on the right foot it is not good . But I enjoy playing more now.
When watching video of my swing it now looks like real swing with rotation of body, before it has not.

Yesterday I played 9 holes and my iron play from fairway was probably best ever. I topped or misshit 1 or 2 balls, other than that I hit some long shots with 5i, longest about 180 yards, which is very long for me. Probalby also results of me adopting to new clubs Wilson Staff FYI.

Good video, I really how he explains things in easy to understand terms. Thanks for posting.

So I instituted Shawns swing for an entire round and while it maybe have thrown my driver swing off a lil my irons and especially my hybrids were spot on. I was taking nice dollar long divots and getting really good trajectory on my shots. I haven't hit my hybrids that well in a long time. I was blasting my 2H almost as long as my driver.

Some of my old swing errors returned so I watched some more of Shawns's videos. I found this one where he describes very understandably the weight shift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CSHqnYNijw
I think the bottom line from this video is to make sure that more of your weght is on the left food (for right handed swing). It made lots of difference for me and good shots when I played on Sunday.

Thank you for posting this thread. I have found Shawn Clements videos to have really helped my game and strike the ball better.

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using Tapatalk

Glad to hear your swing has improved farmgolf. Keep us up to date on your further improvement.

I have watched several of his videos and have really enjoyed how he teaches. I had to be careful not to change my swing too much though. It started creating problems that I never had before. However the take better divots video helped me a lot. I wish I could afford to have someone look at my swing and then give me that type of advice.

so confused, teh golfdigest video I watched last week with a top 100 instructor was the exact opposite. For chipping, they wanted the club and hands to be behind (your zipper) and your head to be out in front, which would be the exact opposite of what Shawn is promoting.

Yesterday, after watching the video that was listed on this first thread, I went to the range today.

Not sure what it was, but I have never hit a bucket (90) balls that well in MY LIFE. I'm not sure what it was but everything just clicked. I swung easy, rotated well, and that "click" sound that you all know and love was on nearly every swing. Out of ~90 balls, I duffed 5, sliced 4-5, hooked 3-4 and the rest was either pure, slight pull draw or push fade. It was like the angels appeared and sang hallelujah...directly to my soul.

Glad to hear your swing has improved farmgolf. Keep us up to date on your further improvement.
I am enjoying golf much more now although the result at the end of the round is not so much different :D. New method improved my iron play from
fairways and tees a lot, but I still add unenecessary shots around greens, by putting and by driving. When analyzing scores I get best results on par 3s, where I get par or bogey often. On the par 4 or 5 bogeys are rare, rather much more shots. But the golf season here is closing as the temperatures are falling and we even had some snow. So time to work on short game over winter :act-up:.

For me the problem was always my weight transfer and rotation towards the ball. These videos that some of you guys
posted, really put it all into perspective for. It's all about keeping that balancing act thru the entire swing and having a
nice fluid motion which Shawn clearly demonstrates.

Really great videos....cheers for posting.

Topped shots have recently become an issue with hybrid and occasional driver

Topped shots have recently become an issue with hybrid and occasional driver

I just came across this thread while getting frustrated with topped shots (mostly hybrid and occasional driver). This was not an issue before and perhaps becoming a problem as I attempt to work towards optimizing my weight transfer and then a proper finish. I believe that I may be swaying when I'm transferring weight (backswing and then follow thru) and then top the ball by missing the impact spot completely. I've kinda got good results with short irons by simply not grounding the club and then aiming at the equator of ball (hardpan lie), hence pinching / contacting ball first having it ride up face and then divot in front. However, not as easy to do with longer irons and hybrid. I will attempt to work on Shawn's drill as I understand the importance of weigh shift and the proper impact spot (after ball). It was also mentioned that I don't try alter the way I would hit the hybrid...just swing like and iron. Regardless, putting it together in a simple to implement package is important for my rather simple mind. I know it will take some time and will follow with results.

Regarding pitch shots...the recommendation with weight towards lead foot and hands in front of ball has always provided my my best results. However, there have been some recommendations to keep hands back of ball and balanced weight distribution. I'll stick with Shawn's recommendation and then make sure I got the sternum placed properly and get my lead cheek turned back slightly back. I believe this is somewhat akin to what Jack Nicklaus used to do to trigger his backswing.

Last edited:
Welcome to THP!
It's all about the descending blow I am discovering lately as well. While he does demonstrate the 7 iron you can tell he is robbing himself of much power, so this overcompensation would only be useful on chips and pitches. So the trick is to get to that weight forward position without starting there it seems.

To help with swaying I Like how this video shows the use of an umbrella to stop the hips and head from going back and teaches to focus the weight to the inside part of the leg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpwXifyLCSU

The reason I was swaying was that I was trying to take the club back in a perfectly straight line. Now I am starting to swing the arms around the body in more of an arc.

I struggle with spine angle and lateral head movement.

2:00 in the video when he swings back and forth is a nice example of maintaining spine angle and no lateral head movement. It looks pretty funny if you stare at his head while his body moves.

Good drills/practice.

Golf becomes so much easier for me when my head is still and I swing around my spine (maintaining angle). It eliminates tons of other little issues.

Back