TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

Just wanted to chime in here and tell all you THP testers that you are doing a great job! I really like seeing that most of you are loving your 2.0s as much as I love mine! Also really cool to see the response with the different shafts that people are putting in these clubs. I game the stock stiff shaft and love everything about em, especially the feedback! Keep up the goof work!!

Just wanted to chime in here and tell all you THP testers that you are doing a great job! I really like seeing that most of you are loving your 2.0s as much as I love mine! Also really cool to see the response with the different shafts that people are putting in these clubs. I game the stock stiff shaft and love everything about em, especially the feedback! Keep up the goof work!!

Heez. Glad you like your 2.0's and thanks for the kind words. Have you seen a good distance increase since switching? How about accuracy?

good thoughts jef...very surprised that you actually lost distance with these...

After reading dubbledxu's review, I thought I would post a similar "thoughts" review with my opinions and ratings (5 is the best).

My specs:
4 - PW, SW
Stock Burner 2.0 Superfast 85 stiff (steel)
2* upright 1" longer than Burner 2.0 standard
Stock Taylormade grips

Feel / Playability - 4.5
This is a great aspect of the 2.0's. When I hit a great shot, I know it as soon as the club hits the ball. The feedback is instant. On well struck shots, the ball launches off of the face with a slight "rising" trajectory. The ball lands soft and one hop - stops every time. When I hit a less than perfect shot, the club lets me know instantly where I hit the ball so I can fix the problem for the next swing. This is something different than my previous set of irons as they would just mask where I hit the ball. Initially, it was something that I had to get used to but now I couldn't live without. No more questions of why the ball was short when I hit it off the toe!

Turf interaction with these irons is another big plus. I am a typical digger and these clubs have no problem at all cutting through the dirt to give me a nice clean divot.

The only reason for the half point deduction is that I just can't seem to like the SW in the set. Out of the sand I have had a few problems opening the face and hitting shanks. Off of the turf, I feel like the SW bounces a bit too much and far prefer the feel of my forged wedges to the CB SW.

Forgiveness - 4
Comparing these to my old irons, these are a bit less forgiving. While with the previous set, a toe shot would still go the normal distance, I am seeing about a 10-15 yard penalty on toe shots with the 2.0's. Heel shots tend to be a bit harsher and usually result in a 15-20 yard loss in distance. These are not bad things at all though. Because of the obvious lost distance, I feel like it has forced me to become a better ball striker and really focus on hitting the sweet spot. But given that the are not quite as "forgiving" on mishits, I docked a point here.

Accuracy - 5
This again is where the 2.0's shine. Since gaming the 2.0's, I have begun firing at pins vs just aiming for the green. I more regularly land the ball inside 15 feet of the pin than I did with my previous irons. I feel comfortable going for sucker pins knowing that the ball will go exactly where I aimed and stop within one hop. I can't stress how much these irons have improved my accuracy.

Distance - 2
I was a bit harsh on this aspect. The 2.0's were marketed as being longer. From TM's website, "Every new Burner 2.0 iron has been engineered to be long. http://www.taylormadegolf.com/burner/performance.aspx"

This is where the 2.0's just don't stand up to the marketing. I have not gained ANY distance at all. If anything, I may have lost a few yards. Now, I'm not saying I went from hitting 180 yard 7I's to now hitting them 150. But when the primary marketing of an item is its distance and how you will gain distance using these irons, I am not seeing any gain. I still use my previous iron distances and they perform perfectly fine.

Looks / Sound - 5
The look is another win for the burners. The colors mesh together well and create something that is aesthetically pleasing to the eye. The progressive topline's give you the feel of a players club with the short irons, and forgiveness on the long irons. When I look down at the iron at address, it inspires confidence and I feel like I am going to put the ball within 2 feet of the hole. One other small thing I have noticed about the CB, is that at address, I am unable to see the flange of the CB even on the 4I.

The sound of these irons is a bit quieter than I was used to in the beginning. Since playing with them for a while, I have grown accustomed to the subtle click that you receive on a well struck shot.

Durability - 5
This was a category that I had questions about. After seeing that they were a "blackish?" color (adjectives escape me), I was worried that this color would fade off the face and possibly rust underneath. That fear has been completely alleviated. After somewhere around 20 rounds, the irons still look brand new. The black color hasn't worn a bit. The face has very slight wear from hitting the ball (as expected) but the wear is well hidden by the lighter face color. Since I ride most of the time, bag chatter isn't really an issue for me.

Final overall rating - 4.5 :clapp:

The irons both look and perform well, albeit the distance marketing isn't justified. These irons would work well for anyone from a 25 HC down to a scratch golfer. They are accurate, forgiving and look downright awesome. I've liked the irons so much that I want to add a 3I to my set to possibly replace my hybrid.

Let me know if anyone has any questions about the clubs or my ratings!

tomahawk, considering that my previous set was a pile of garbage, the distance increases and accuracy improvements have been monumental! The best part is the confidence that these irons inspire. Looking down I see one bad ass piece of golf equipment and feel so comfortable pulling the trigger on the desired shot. Its fun to see the shot, set up and fire, knowing that the clubs will take care of the rest.

One thing that you mentioned that I completely agree with is the flying of your target on pured shots. My last round featured many of these shots (which is good and bad). Despite playing the clubs for 4 months now, I'm still getting used to the distances and trusting that the 8 iron really is going to go 155ish.

I have a question for the testers...are many of you guys shot shapers? I'm all about the straight shot, but I am trying to start incorporating a controlled draw/fade into my game and I was wondering how you guys feel about the 2.0s ability to facilitate shot shaping. Thanks team!

tomahawk, considering that my previous set was a pile of garbage, the distance increases and accuracy improvements have been monumental! The best part is the confidence that these irons inspire. Looking down I see one bad ass piece of golf equipment and feel so comfortable pulling the trigger on the desired shot. Its fun to see the shot, set up and fire, knowing that the clubs will take care of the rest.

One thing that you mentioned that I completely agree with is the flying of your target on pured shots. My last round featured many of these shots (which is good and bad). Despite playing the clubs for 4 months now, I'm still getting used to the distances and trusting that the 8 iron really is going to go 155ish.

I have a question for the testers...are many of you guys shot shapers? I'm all about the straight shot, but I am trying to start incorporating a controlled draw/fade into my game and I was wondering how you guys feel about the 2.0s ability to facilitate shot shaping. Thanks team!

Good question... I covered this a few pages back. The 2.0's are more than adequete to turn the ball both ways if needed. I like you love the mostly straight shot if possible, but when needed I can fade and draw the 2.0's. I am sure they are not quite on the level of a players iron or blade, but for me they are a great combo of workability, looks, foregiveness, and length.

Last edited:

That's great to hear. We all appreciate that more than you know.

I could not agree more in regards to the confidence I feel when looking down at address. They look great, and perform even better. As for shot shaping, I am not a huge worker of the golf ball, but, even I can work a fade or draw with these if I am trying to, and with a little practice, I am sure you will find this to be true as well.

Alright, this is my third attempt at this post, I'm hoping it goes through this time so I can quit retyping it. I liked the idea of the big overall updates, so I'm taking it and doing my own. I'm giving letter grades though, instead of working on a scale.

My specs are:
4-PW, SW
Project X Flighted 5.5 Shafts
2 degrees upright, standard length
NDMC Grips

Feel/Playability - A+
The overall feel of these clubs is outstanding. I love the instant feedback that others have mentioned, because you know immediately whether or not the shot you hit was good. This is something I've never experienced with other sets of irons. When I first received these irons, i was hitting them a little thin. This turned out to be due to the added weight of the shafts, and that the clubs were actually a little bit shorter than what I tried ordering. This wasn't a problem though, because once I got everything figured out, I got dialed in quickly. Another thing that I really like about these irons is that I can work the ball with ease. With my old set of irons, the Burner Pluses, I was pretty inconsistent when trying to shape shots. A small draw could turn into a hook, and fades could turn into slices. This could have been a product of my bad swing at the time, but it hasn't been a problem with these irons, so they get an A+.

Forgiveness - A
So for me, I think these clubs have a lot of forgiveness. Why the A then? Mostly due to the fact that I have hit irons that seemed to have more forgiveness. Do I think this set has enough forgiveness? Definitely. I haven't hit an off-center shot yet that didn't end up almost perfect. 95% of my mis-hits are just slightly off-center, and to be honest, one would barely even be able to tell that with these. I thought my Burner Pluses were extremely forgiving, and I honestly expected the forgiveness to drop a bit due to a slightly smaller head, and thinner sole. But for me, the forgiveness actually went up. There is an ample amount here, and it is enough for any golfer. Just not the most I've ever seen.

Accuracy - A+
This is one of my favorite parts about this set of irons. My accuracy has increased tremendously since making the switch to these clubs. I want to think that a lot of it has to do with the fact that I ave undergone a swing change during this testing. My new swing is slightly slower, and the tempo is much smoother. This is producing better shots than I have ever hit consistently. But, I also feel that the color contrast on the face greatly enhances my alignment, which we all know leads to better accuracy. With that in mind, I have to give most of the credit to the clubs, and the rest of the credit to my swing.

Distance - A-
So you should know that my previous set of irons had the same strong lofts as these, and I already hit the ball a mile, so I wasn't expecting any distance increase at all. If you have followed through this thread, you know that I have changed my mind about how much distance I actually gained. It's fluctuated from a club, to just a couple of yards. The reason for this inconsistency was due to the swing change that was occurring. The final verdict, is that I have gained about 5 yards per club. While that doesn't blow me away, it is 5 more yards I never thought I would get. I thought a 150 PW was long enough, and now it's even longer. The fact that these clubs are the same loft as my previous set, yet they still added a few yards tells me that something good happened when making this club, and they put it to good use. I was impressed with they way the ball comes off these irons and goes forever.

Looks/Sound - A+
One simple word describes this aspect of the set: WOW! Anyone that has seen these irons knows they are aesthetically pleasing. The color and design is just beautiful. My favorite part of the look is the color contrast in the face that I mentioned earlier, because it is helping me align the club so much better than I was before. I really enjoy the way the club looks at address, as everything about it is appealing to me. As far as sound goes, anyone who has not seen the videos in this thread that show the ball at impact needs to go watch them. You can hear the absolutely perfect crisp sound that you get with every clean shot. It's a great sound you just have to hear.

Durability - A+
Like so many others, the first thing I worried about with this set was that the black would fade away quickly due to frequent hitting, and bag chatter. Boy was that nothing to worry about. The black part of my irons is still perfectly in tact, even with my friend hitting a shot off the toe! The face of the club has minor wear from the many, many shots I've hit, but this is obviously expected.

Overall - A+
What we have here, is an industry leading iron in my opinion. Never have I hit an iron that held up to its promises as well as this one did. How any company could ever release an iron that outperforms this one is crazy for me to think about. This is an all-in-one club, and it is very fun and easy to play with. I haven't hit the R11 irons, but I don't know how they could have possibly improved this. This testing has been fun so far, and can only get better. I couldn't be happier with my results. I applaud TaylorMade for putting something like this on the market. I recommend this set to any golfer on the planet, regardless of skill. You will fall in love with this set, and you will improve something.

Great review Josh!

Alright, this is my third attempt at this post, I'm hoping it goes through this time so I can quit retyping it. I liked the idea of the big overall updates, so I'm taking it and doing my own. I'm giving letter grades though, instead of working on a scale.

My specs are:
4-PW, SW
Project X Flighted 5.5 Shafts
2 degrees upright, standard length
NDMC Grips

Feel/Playability - A+
The overall feel of these clubs is outstanding. I love the instant feedback that others have mentioned, because you know immediately whether or not the shot you hit was good. This is something I've never experienced with other sets of irons. When I first received these irons, i was hitting them a little thin. This turned out to be due to the added weight of the shafts, and that the clubs were actually a little bit shorter than what I tried ordering. This wasn't a problem though, because once I got everything figured out, I got dialed in quickly. Another thing that I really like about these irons is that I can work the ball with ease. With my old set of irons, the Burner Pluses, I was pretty inconsistent when trying to shape shots. A small draw could turn into a hook, and fades could turn into slices. This could have been a product of my bad swing at the time, but it hasn't been a problem with these irons, so they get an A+.

Forgiveness - A
So for me, I think these clubs have a lot of forgiveness. Why the A then? Mostly due to the fact that I have hit irons that seemed to have more forgiveness. Do I think this set has enough forgiveness? Definitely. I haven't hit an off-center shot yet that didn't end up almost perfect. 95% of my mis-hits are just slightly off-center, and to be honest, one would barely even be able to tell that with these. I thought my Burner Pluses were extremely forgiving, and I honestly expected the forgiveness to drop a bit due to a slightly smaller head, and thinner sole. But for me, the forgiveness actually went up. There is an ample amount here, and it is enough for any golfer. Just not the most I've ever seen.

Accuracy - A+
This is one of my favorite parts about this set of irons. My accuracy has increased tremendously since making the switch to these clubs. I want to think that a lot of it has to do with the fact that I ave undergone a swing change during this testing. My new swing is slightly slower, and the tempo is much smoother. This is producing better shots than I have ever hit consistently. But, I also feel that the color contrast on the face greatly enhances my alignment, which we all know leads to better accuracy. With that in mind, I have to give most of the credit to the clubs, and the rest of the credit to my swing.

Distance - A-
So you should know that my previous set of irons had the same strong lofts as these, and I already hit the ball a mile, so I wasn't expecting any distance increase at all. If you have followed through this thread, you know that I have changed my mind about how much distance I actually gained. It's fluctuated from a club, to just a couple of yards. The reason for this inconsistency was due to the swing change that was occurring. The final verdict, is that I have gained about 5 yards per club. While that doesn't blow me away, it is 5 more yards I never thought I would get. I thought a 150 PW was long enough, and now it's even longer. The fact that these clubs are the same loft as my previous set, yet they still added a few yards tells me that something good happened when making this club, and they put it to good use. I was impressed with they way the ball comes off these irons and goes forever.

Looks/Sound - A+
One simple word describes this aspect of the set: WOW! Anyone that has seen these irons knows they are aesthetically pleasing. The color and design is just beautiful. My favorite part of the look is the color contrast in the face that I mentioned earlier, because it is helping me align the club so much better than I was before. I really enjoy the way the club looks at address, as everything about it is appealing to me. As far as sound goes, anyone who has not seen the videos in this thread that show the ball at impact needs to go watch them. You can hear the absolutely perfect crisp sound that you get with every clean shot. It's a great sound you just have to hear.

Durability - A+
Like so many others, the first thing I worried about with this set was that the black would fade away quickly due to frequent hitting, and bag chatter. Boy was that nothing to worry about. The black part of my irons is still perfectly in tact, even with my friend hitting a shot off the toe! The face of the club has minor wear from the many, many shots I've hit, but this is obviously expected.

Overall - A+
What we have here, is an industry leading iron in my opinion. Never have I hit an iron that held up to its promises as well as this one did. How any company could ever release an iron that outperforms this one is crazy for me to think about. This is an all-in-one club, and it is very fun and easy to play with. I haven't hit the R11 irons, but I don't know how they could have possibly improved this. This testing has been fun so far, and can only get better. I couldn't be happier with my results. I applaud TaylorMade for putting something like this on the market. I recommend this set to any golfer on the planet, regardless of skill. You will fall in love with this set, and you will improve something.

Great review dude! I think you hit the nail on the head saying that these are an industry leading iron.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Just a quick update. I played a quick round yesterday morning in blustery 55* here in Cincinnati. The Burner 2s performed as well as I have come to expect. The one thing I want to comment on is how they feel in cold weather. My CG irons are almost like different clubs when gamed in the cold. The poorly struck shots really jolt the hands and even some well struck shots give a bit of a sting. This is NOT the case with the Burner 2s. Well struck shots continue to feel like you barely make contact. Poorly struck shots did still give you some feedback, but definitely not as harsh as my CGs. I did thin one shot that was a stinger on the hands, but misses off the toe did not hurt.

I know these experiences will likely differ depending on the shaft and grip, but for the B2 equipped with Project X and VDR, I was very impressed.

Just a quick update. I played a quick round yesterday morning in blustery 55* here in Cincinnati. The Burner 2s performed as well as I have come to expect. The one thing I want to comment on is how they feel in cold weather. My CG irons are almost like different clubs when gamed in the cold. The poorly struck shots really jolt the hands and even some well struck shots give a bit of a sting. This is NOT the case with the Burner 2s. Well struck shots continue to feel like you barely make contact. Poorly struck shots did still give you some feedback, but definitely not as harsh as my CGs. I did thin one shot that was a stinger on the hands, but misses off the toe did not hurt.

I know these experiences will likely differ depending on the shaft and grip, but for the B2 equipped with Project X and VDR, I was very impressed.

Nice feedback and something I look forward to hearing about from all of the iron testers in cooler climates. I know that here in TX it does get cold and feedback can get pretty harsh. Thanks for letting us know about this with the 2.0's!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Great write up Josh. I think you hit it right on every category. My scores would vary slightly from yours but I was coming from off the rack clubs to fitted so my impressions were of a much better club.

Played a round yesterday and struggled with the 2.0's.

Conditions and location:

Willows run GC (6850 yards) Redmond, WA
Partly cloudy and periods of light rain, 64 degrees, light winds gusting to 15 mph occasionally

I have really been working on fixing my driver swing lately and it has led to slight swing adjustments with my irons as well. Yesterday was the first day I took the adjustments to the course. While I hit double digit fairways for the second straight round, my GIR numbers were terrible. I only hit 6 greens, with my predominant miss being a slight pull. This isn't saying I hit the 2.0's bad, as a matter of fact I had good contact on every swing and distances were on, I just wasn't left/right accurate. I was right next to every green, and hit the fringe a couple of times, but not much in the way of legit birdie opportunities. My closest birdie putt was about 15 feet. I shot 81 with 3 missed putts of under 6 feet. Was never in any real trouble, played with the same ball all day,(Z Star), just missed a lot of greens.

4, 5, 6 irons - solid contact all day long. Hit a couple of par 5 layups that were money with the 6, it is my consistent 195-205 club. Went for a green in two (par 5) with the 4 iron from 224. Hit it off the toe into a bunker. The ball traveled about 190. Semi amazing the foregiveness of these 2.0's. I hit this ball quite a ways out on the toe and still got 190 out of it and probably more if it doesn't hop into a bunker.

7, 8, 9 irons - these are the irons I was pulling left a bit. Hit them very well (contact wise), but accuracy was an issue for sure. There was some wind and I hit the ball pretty high, but I was left of nearly every green with the short irons. I was making nice even divots with my irons and I loved the feel and sound, but the results just wern't there for me.

PW, SW - hit the PW well, and this was the one iron I wasn't pulling. Hit 2 greens with it from the 140 range, but nothing real close. Just solid, safe approach's. Had 3 sand shots with the SW. All were decent, saved 1. I am getting more used to the look and feel of it out of the sand, and it is a fairly effective club, but I still prefer my blade style TM 54* wedge.

End result... I guess when you are making some swing tweaks, there will be some struggles. I loved the consistent contact I was getting, but the slight pulls were a bit frustrating. I will continue to work on the swing and get it corrected. The 2.0's performed great today as the distances and contact were great. One of my better ball striking days in a while. I really feel like if I can get the pulls worked out this week, some low scores are in my future with the 2.0's!

Very nice TH. It really sounds like things are going to come along very nicely and really positive too, I know what you mean about one swing change effecting other things (ie Driver work effecting Irons) all too well, keep on grinding. These really are sweet sticks.

Very nice TH. It really sounds like things are going to come along very nicely and really positive too, I know what you mean about one swing change effecting other things (ie Driver work effecting Irons) all too well, keep on grinding. These really are sweet sticks.

Thanks jman. How do you like the c tapers in the 2.0's?

Quick update from my round this past weekend.

Played at my normal course, Keith Hills, from the tips. It was a bit cooler out yesterday around 70* and 10-15 mph winds.

Some stats:
Score - 40/45, 85 total
Fairways - 8/14
GIR - 8/18
Putts - 34

Long irons (4,5,6):
I only hit these 3 clubs 4-5 times yesterday. I remember that I knocked a 6I 189 yards onto the green of a par 3. It had a perfect ball flight and one hop stopped about 15 feet from the hole. I also hit a 5I from 200 that landed on the right fringe. Again perfect ball flight and one hop stop. I knocked 2 4I's both on the same hole, a long, uphill par 5. I pulled my drive a bit left and it caught a tree about 150 yards out. The ball landed on the side of a steep hill so this gave me an opportunity to hit a "specialty shot". The ball was even with my waist and I still had 400 yards to the green. Not only that, I also had tree branches above my head preventing a full swing. I choked up and took a very quick half swing punch shot that performed beautifully. Ball popped up and went about 180 yards. I proceeded to hit 4I again from the fairway. I caught it a bit thin and off the toe. Since it was a bit colder out, this was the first time I have felt a sting from a mishit. It wasn't jarring like a MB would be, but it let me know that I sure hit it incorrectly.

Mid irons (7,8,9):
These irons were money all day. Every shot hit with them was crisp and had a wonderful ball, high ball flight. One occasion that stuck out in my mind was a longer 188 yard par 3. There hole is a little bit down hill and the pin was towards the front. Rather than take my normal 6I for this distance, I played a firm 7I. Knocked the ball to within 5 feet (missed the putt). I can't get over how accurate I have become with the 2.0's in the mid iron level. These used to be my problem irons, now I am firing at pins and complaining when I'm outside of 10 feet from 175 yards.

Wedges (PW, SW):
I didn't use these on too many occasions. I only used the PW on one hole from about 135 and had to draw it around a tree. Unfortunately, I found it pretty difficult to draw the ball 15 yards with a PW, but that's to be expected. I used the SW for a couple chip shots around the green and the club performed about average. I felt like I didn't have quite the spin that the forged wedges did and I had more problems with distance control. This may very well be from my lack of experience with the SW around the green though. I still like the feel and look of the forged irons around the green so for now, the SW will be used exclusively for sand shots.

Overall the day was pretty good. I played very well on the front and average on the back. The irons were the only constant in my game front to back. I can't stress how much consistency I have gained by gaming these 2.0's.

Let me know if anyone has any questions!

Thanks jman. How do you like the c tapers in the 2.0's?

I like them a TON. They have brought my flight down a pretty good amount from the S300's and, for me, the feel is tremendous with how they load and unload. Not as smooth as the KBS Tour's but way nicer than the PX was for my swing. So far the dispersion has been a little better too. I really do think its a heck of a combo for sure.

I like them a TON. They have brought my flight down a pretty good amount from the S300's and, for me, the feel is tremendous with how they load and unload. Not as smooth as the KBS Tour's but way nicer than the PX was for my swing. So far the dispersion has been a little better too. I really do think its a heck of a combo for sure.

Awesome. I was fitted last year for the KBS Tours, before the C Tapers were released. I was considering the C Tapers for this testing, but went with the known entity that my numbers on the launch monitor proved that the KBS Tours worked great for my swing. There is a part of me that wonders whether the C Tapers are better for me since I am such a high ball hitter, but I am very happy with the Tours. I love the combo of the 2.0 head and KBS Tour shaft. For me, it would be very tough to improve upon this combo.

The 2.0s are great fun to play as an improving golfer, but I do wonder if I’ll soon need lofts weakening to create smaller gaps between clubs, hence shortening the range of the set as a whole.

I played some staggering distances on a new course yesterday, and thankfully, none of the fliers were approaching greens. It’s fun to be left with shorter than expected approach shots, but I’m sure I’d quickly tire of overshooting greens. I’ve been lucky it hasn’t really happened yet, probably because I’m usually playing 8i or shorter into greens, and these clubs are more consistent for me. That’s not to say I haven’t played some decent 6irons in from 200 yards away. But I’ve been lucky, because I know over-shooting is a lurking possibility, having hit wildly varying distances with 7i and longer.

I’ve hit some very nice shots, you could say perfect, that reach consistent distances. But there have been occasional shots that defy belief distance-wise. So which is perfect? The longest? Or the most reliable?! I think I know you guys will opt for the more sensible of those two!

Yesterday, on a 514yard par5 dogleg, a ¾ swing 5i punch out of a cluster of small trees, slightly clipped leaves on the way out, didn’t get much higher than 10-15ft, and pelted through a boundary fence at least 175 yards away. The ball would have travelled quite some distance further had there been more land in play. Frustrated but highly impressed, and feeling sudden confidence with my 5i, I played a dropped ball, and by my best estimates (and measurement on google satellite) smashed it 250yards up a 20ft incline. Until yesterday 250 was my longest ever 2.0 4i on level ground!

My 7i was my club of the day; I played nine shots with it, that I was extremely happy about. But the variation in distance is something to raise an eyebrow over. My best played hole was a 500yard par5. Two 7irons got me to the 150yard marker, equally splitting the 350 at 175yards a piece. Both shots looked perfectly played full shots. Elsewhere on the course, a par3 at 178 called for my 7i, but somehow, despite looking perfect, fell ten yards short of the green. This was into a slight wind, but there was no way I was about to play a 6i (at potentially 200+) at a 178yard target. On the next hole, parallel, in the opposite direction, without doubt I sailed a 7i tee shot 220yards! It was very surprising and helpful to find the ball further on than expected, but unfathomable. Two more 7irons during the round were very solidly 200yards. I’ve said in the past that it looks like I’m heading for 25yard club gaps with this set, and the more I play, the more it seems so, and the more it seems silly. I’m most confident with 9i at 150, I know 6i is easily over 200 (I nuked one to around 250 on a previous round), and 5i and 7i were huge yesterday. So it’s a lot of fun when the ball takes off, but it’s going to make for difficult distance accuracy between PW 125 and 7i 200… with only 9i 150 and 8i 165ish between!

My silly typical distances
SW 100
AW 115
PW 125
9i 150
8i 165
7i 200
6i 200-250
5i 200-250
4i 200-250

Awesome. I was fitted last year for the KBS Tours, before the C Tapers were released. I was considering the C Tapers for this testing, but went with the known entity that my numbers on the launch monitor proved that the KBS Tours worked great for my swing. There is a part of me that wonders whether the C Tapers are better for me since I am such a high ball hitter, but I am very happy with the Tours. I love the combo of the 2.0 head and KBS Tour shaft. For me, it would be very tough to improve upon this combo.

I hear ya. I'm a high ball hitter too and I've always LOVED the Tour's feel wise but just had to go back to the S300's as it was getting a bit ridiculous. The C-Tapers are the best of both worlds so far. I feel ya though, if you've got something that feels good and works for your game, run with it and don't ever look back IMO.

The 2.0s are great fun to play as an improving golfer, but I do wonder if I’ll soon need lofts weakening to create smaller gaps between clubs, hence shortening the range of the set as a whole.

I played some staggering distances on a new course yesterday, and thankfully, none of the fliers were approaching greens. It’s fun to be left with shorter than expected approach shots, but I’m sure I’d quickly tire of overshooting greens. I’ve been lucky it hasn’t really happened yet, probably because I’m usually playing 8i or shorter into greens, and these clubs are more consistent for me. That’s not to say I haven’t played some decent 6irons in from 200 yards away. But I’ve been lucky, because I know over-shooting is a lurking possibility, having hit wildly varying distances with 7i and longer.

I’ve hit some very nice shots, you could say perfect, that reach consistent distances. But there have been occasional shots that defy belief distance-wise. So which is perfect? The longest? Or the most reliable?! I think I know you guys will opt for the more sensible of those two!

Yesterday, on a 514yard par5 dogleg, a ¾ swing 5i punch out of a cluster of small trees, slightly clipped leaves on the way out, didn’t get much higher than 10-15ft, and pelted through a boundary fence at least 175 yards away. The ball would have travelled quite some distance further had there been more land in play. Frustrated but highly impressed, and feeling sudden confidence with my 5i, I played a dropped ball, and by my best estimates (and measurement on google satellite) smashed it 250yards up a 20ft incline. Until yesterday 250 was my longest ever 2.0 4i on level ground!

My 7i was my club of the day; I played nine shots with it, that I was extremely happy about. But the variation in distance is something to raise an eyebrow over. My best played hole was a 500yard par5. Two 7irons got me to the 150yard marker, equally splitting the 350 at 175yards a piece. Both shots looked perfectly played full shots. Elsewhere on the course, a par3 at 178 called for my 7i, but somehow, despite looking perfect, fell ten yards short of the green. This was into a slight wind, but there was no way I was about to play a 6i (at potentially 200+) at a 178yard target. On the next hole, parallel, in the opposite direction, without doubt I sailed a 7i tee shot 220yards! It was very surprising and helpful to find the ball further on than expected, but unfathomable. Two more 7irons during the round were very solidly 200yards. I’ve said in the past that it looks like I’m heading for 25yard club gaps with this set, and the more I play, the more it seems so, and the more it seems silly. I’m most confident with 9i at 150, I know 6i is easily over 200 (I nuked one to around 250 on a previous round), and 5i and 7i were huge yesterday. So it’s a lot of fun when the ball takes off, but it’s going to make for difficult distance accuracy between PW 125 and 7i 200… with only 9i 150 and 8i 165ish between!

My silly typical distances
SW 100
AW 115
PW 125
9i 150
8i 165
7i 200
6i 200-250
5i 200-250
4i 200-250

Wow, 200 yard 7I is inhuman. Those distances would give me fits from 7I - 4I. How long have you had the irons and how consistent is your contact with them? Are you swinging harder with the long irons or hitting them thin?

jefrazie

I've had my clubs since April and only came back to the game a month before, after a 20 year break since about 12yo.

I suppose I feel like 80% of the time, I hit the 7i - SW very nicely, consistently, straight.
The 4i & 5i are the opposite, 80% of the time the shot is diabolical. So take my distance with those clubs as... when I've connected with the ball well, and the club has done what it's capable of.
As for the 6i in the middle, when I first tried the 2.0s at a shop/range retailer, I hit ball after ball to 200 yards that first ever try. It seems to be stuck in the middle for me now, and at present it's 60% fudged and 40% pured.

Golf generally seems all or nothing with me: diabolical or brilliant. I started my round yesterday 2 strokes in the lead, then had a ctastrophic next 6 holes. Yet I'd also say I played some of the most impressives shots during those bad holes, it's just all my other shots were awful. LOL. I had a wonderful PW into a 136yard par3 and knocked a lovely hole into the green. Neither of my playing partners hit it, but I joked they's still score lower, and I think it happened. Golf!

Wow guys, great stuff over the weekend. Bobby, are you sure about those distances? That is incredibly long, and I could see why those gaps would give you trouble, I just don't know anyone that hits a 7 iron 200 yards consistently.

Back