Need a " Turn - don't SWAY drill "

Khaot1c

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 24.0
Anybody have any good drills for eliminating the a lateral SWAY? Seems i've managed to convert the TURN into a SWAY which of course feels perfectly natural but is leading to all sorts of issues.....If i have to buy some materials, that's fine too.

Stand near a corner of a wall. Stick your butt/hip against the wall with the side against the part where you don't want to sway. Keep your arms in front of the ball and take practice swings.

Buy yourself one of them tie down straps at Lowes and back up to a good sized tree. Wrap it around your waist about five times and then lock er down. That should do it for now. Another real tip I have heard is to put a chair with the back facing your right hip. It helps you to turn around without swaying into the chair. Good luck buddy as I feel ya pain. Swaying is one of my worst faults and causes all sorts of issues.

Greg Norman says to think of your knees like pistons, working in opposite directions throughout the swing. On the back swing your front knee bends and moves forward while the back knee straightens. The opposite occurs on the downswing. I don't know that you want to literally do this but that mental image forces you to rotate your hips and pretty well prevents sway.

Chunks. I wasted SO many strokes today on chunks. Thanks to the more compact swing feeling with the scoring irons, I seem to be okay there on approach shots. if the shot/club is long, it's up in the air. And since 80% of all tee shots are long....

Stand near a corner of a wall. Stick your butt/hip against the wall with the side against the part where you don't want to sway. Keep your arms in front of the ball and take practice swings.

What he said. Use an impact bag or big pillow for added effect.

Great question and this has been a huge problem for me and one of the causes of my hook. I'll read on with interest.

All i can offer is when I'm playing my best and hitting it longest and straightest my last swing thought is to keep my head behind (laterally) the ball. I stare at the ball and don't let myself
sway past it. This has the bonus of being forced to keep my head down and of adding height to my ball flight, which I needed.

Good luck!

Here's a great one:

Back