Lots of Opinions on "The Next Tiger"

No only when u call me out in every thread. There is a discussion In the football thread that I'm not getting defensive

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

What dont you understand!!!
YOU SAID NEVER. I disagreed.
You then said NOT NEVER, but NOW!
If you are not going to stay on the topic, move along! Good lord already!

Rickie Fowler!

What dont you understand!!!
YOU SAID NEVER. I disagreed.
You then said NOT NEVER, but NOW!
If you are not going to stay on the topic, move along! Good lord already!

Ok sorry. I didn't mean never, wrong choice of words. I should of said in todays world, no one currently will run away with it like tiger

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

How much taker was there in 96 when Tiger came on the scene- Ernie, Phil, Retief, among others. Heck didn't Phil win as an amateur?

I'd say we never thought anyone would dominate like Tiger because of all the talent already around- only he did.

So yeah there will be another dominant player - he just needs to show up.

In the women's game you could argue she's here.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good analogy. Because just 3 years ago, people thought we would never see another Annika.
Yani Tseng was not one of those people.

There will never be another Tiger. There will never be another Jack. Or Arnie. Or Hogan, Sneed, Player, Watson, Norman...etc... Each of these greats brought something unique beyond their ability to win a golf tournament. Sometimes that "thing" isn't cultivated but rather circumstantial. In my mind, that is the entry fee to set at that table.

I'll be that guy... the next Tiger is... Tiger. The guy is not done yet, hello? :alien:

Not sure there will ever be another Tiger. While I agree that Arnie and Jack were amazing, I don't think anyone will ever be the same as Tiger in terms of taking the game by storm. He was very young when he was considered the next prodigy. He certainly backed that up didn't he? And I just think that the energy he brings to the sport may never be matched either. I love the way he celebrates/has celebrated when performing in the clutch and whatnot. Lastly, I think that Tiger in his prime was the most dominant athlete to ever grace this earth. Nobody in any sport in my opinion has matched what he did and I don't think anyone will. His streak of dominance was unmatched by any. He invented the Tiger Slam which I personally think will never be achieved again.

Most of the reason I think this is because there are too many people trying to be the next big thing. That's why there's so many good young golfers out there now. I think there will be greats, but I think they will be challenged in ways that Tiger never was. Tiger's dominance is the single greatest thing in the history of sports in my opinion.

Good analogy. Because just 3 years ago, people thought we would never see another Annika.
Yani Tseng was not one of those people.

Exactly.

People saying there won't be a next Montana/Palmer/Nicklaus/Sampras etc have all been proven wrong.

There will always be a next big thing it's just the way humans are. A phenom will pretty much always be just around the corner - sure they may not arrive together but in golf I think we've been lucky to have the likes of Phil and Tiger at the same time. Tiger kicked butt, and Phil's is a HOF career with ease.

We just need to sit back, enjoy the Golfers around now and wait for someone to explode o the scene.

There will never be a next Tiger. I'm not saying this in an honorific fashion. His story is truly unique and I doubt any future sports story will be as poignant as Tiger's. Someone can match his numbers and records...no one's record is ever permanent. What separates Tiger from the rest is the epitome of golf. Given all the talent in the world if one's mind is not right nothing else matters.

Maybe I'm the one confused or something, but it seems like a lot of people are misreading what this thread is about.

From what I can gather from the first post, it says who will be the next golfer to beat, not who will be the next Tiger Woods, though Tiger was the dominate male from 1997-2009 for the most part.

For next golfer who will be the dominate golfer or guy to beat week-in-week out for day the next 10 years will be Rory starting next season. I think next year when you see him come back to the states, we could see him pull out 5+ wins.

Compared to this year, to me that's a dominating guy.

there may be some up and coming tiger but at the moment i think the playing field is too level at the moment.if rory was able to play more consistantly then he'd win loads but at the moment he's barely winning anything.

food for thought though,if mickelson could learn to putt well from inside 10ft he'd be hard to beat and winning most of the time.i reckon he's the best player in the world,how many guys can be here there everywhere on the course and still shoot the scores he is shooting.it's frighteningly good!

Maybe I'm the one confused or something, but it seems like a lot of people are misreading what this thread is about.

From what I can gather from the first post, it says who will be the next golfer to beat, not who will be the next Tiger Woods, though Tiger was the dominate male from 1997-2009 for the most part.

For next golfer who will be the dominate golfer or guy to beat week-in-week out for day the next 10 years will be Rory starting next season. I think next year when you see him come back to the states, we could see him pull out 5+ wins.

Compared to this year, to me that's a dominating guy.

I really wish I could see a bright future for this kid, but I have to say that I can't. He just hasn't shown composure down the stretch in any tourney except when he has an untouchable lead (US Open). And he is a terrible decision maker on the course. For example, when he hurt himself in the PGA, he would have made the same score if he had just punched out sideways. And I've watched several Euro Tour tourneys, and his course management is just downright terrible. He clearly has talent, but he's gotta clean up his act if he wants to win consistantly.

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

My 7 year old (if he gets past the hating golf phase he's in right now).

I really wish I could see a bright future for this kid, but I have to say that I can't. He just hasn't shown composure down the stretch in any tourney except when he has an untouchable lead (US Open). And he is a terrible decision maker on the course. For example, when he hurt himself in the PGA, he would have made the same score if he had just punched out sideways. And I've watched several Euro Tour tourneys, and his course management is just downright terrible. He clearly has talent, but he's gotta clean up his act if he wants to win consistantly.

I agree he has a lot of growing up to as far as course management. I think though if he comes back to the PGA and learns from his past mistakes, we could see him win a lot. At the same time, he could just be one of those guys with a load of talent, but fails to put it all together.

In my opinion though, from what he has shown us all thus far, he seems to be the only guy who might be able to really put 5+ wins per season together on a couple different occasions.

How much taker was there in 96 when Tiger came on the scene- Ernie, Phil, Retief, among others. Heck didn't Phil win as an amateur?

I'd say we never thought anyone would dominate like Tiger because of all the talent already around- only he did.

So yeah there will be another dominant player - he just needs to show up.

And I probably would, she is awesome already, looking forward to watching her over the next decade.

My belief: No one will ever again dominate golf the way Tiger did. I was born in interesting times to witness the greatest of all times in just about every sport.

And I probably would, she is awesome already, looking forward to watching her over the next decade.

Your all forgetting about me. It's me. Here I come. :)

I think that there is probably only 1 person that has a shot, and that person is Rory. There are some good amateurs coming up that will have a shot to be great (Kelly Kraft, Harris English, Patrick Cantlay, etc) but the immediate answer would be Rory.

In about 8 years or so, I will be winning all 4 majors...the Volvo World Matchplay....and the FedEx Cup....so there's always that.

BDG

I agree he has a lot of growing up to as far as course management. I think though if he comes back to the PGA and learns from his past mistakes, we could see him win a lot. At the same time, he could just be one of those guys with a load of talent, but fails to put it all together.

In my opinion though, from what he has shown us all thus far, he seems to be the only guy who might be able to really put 5+ wins per season together on a couple different occasions.

True, but I'm calling a Justin Rose for Rory.

I definitely think there will be another dominant player...there almost has to be, for the sake of the sport. I don't think there is anyone in the current crop of young players with the potential to dominate in a way remotely close to Tiger, however.

I agree with you Scrubs. If this past year on the PGA was any indication, we're going to have a bunch of fresh faces who peak at the right tournament. But no one was dominate this season and had multiple wins (more than 3). A bunch of guys had 2 ( Nick Watney, Keegan Bradley etc ...)

IMHO Tiger was once in a generation type of game changer.

Dustin Johnson is really showing great potential right now. The way he hits the ball and to be the longest and most accurate off the tee at the Deutsche Bank. He's crazy and if he gets it all together he could be the man.

IMHO Tiger was once in a generation type of game changer.

I sort of agree here. I, however think that Tiger was a once-in-ever type. He was dominant beyond belief and I don't think anyone will ever be that dominant again. Better maybe, but not as dominant because I think from here on out the rest of the competition will be too good.

Back