Florida Golf Help

Dent

MIA
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm sure JB can help me out with this one:

San Antonio is a No-go for my spring golf vacation, instead my parents have ventured into the idea of going to Florida. There are some great deals in Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville.

I would just like to know the best Golf location in Florida also of some good resorts and maybe some great deals that include golf/hotel. Also maybe some course recommendations would be amazing as well.

Just general info would be great.

Dent.

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but Orlando is probably a great spot. Some top-notch courses located there, and if you want to branch out Tampa isn't too far of a drive to go play a few rounds or you can hit the Space Coast (Palm Bay/Melbourne/Cocoa & Beaches) for a couple more great courses.

There are a couple of the "Golf Trails" in Florida as well. Here are a couple of them, and the courses they include w/Golf Digest Rating:

Florida Golf Trail
Bloomingdale Golfers Club (Tampa) 4 stars
Northdale Golf & Tennis Club (Tampa) 3 stars
Lansbrook Golf Club (Palm Harbor, NW of Tampa) 3 stars
Bardmoor Golf & Tennis Club (Largo) 4 1/2 stars
Bayou Club (Largo)
River Hills Country Club (Tampa)
Baytree National Golf Links (Melbourne) 4 stars
The Majors Golf Club (Palm Bay) 4 1/2 stars
The Preserve Golf Club (Bradenton) 3 1/2 stars

Orlando Golf Trail
Celebration Golf Club (Celebration) 4 stars
ChampionsGate International (ChampionsGate) 4 stars
ChampionsGate National (ChampionsGate) 4 stars
Falcon's Fire Golf Club (Kissimmee) 4 stars
Hunter's Creek Golf Club (Orlando) 3 stars
MetroWest Golf Club (Orlando) 4 stars
Orange County National - Panther Lake (Winter Garden) 4 1/2 stars
Orange County National - Crooked Cat (Winter Garden) 4 1/2 stars
Ridgewood Lakes Golf & Country Club (Davenport) 3 1/2 stars
Shingle Creek Golf Club (Orlando) 4 stars
Southern Dunes Golf & Country Club (Haines City) 4 1/2 stars

And of course, the courses at Disney World:
Osprey Ridge Golf Course (Kissimmee) 4 1/2 stars
Lake Buena Vista (Kissimmee) 4 1/2 stars
Palm Golf Course (Kissimmee) 4 stars
Magnolia Golf Course (Kissimmee) 4 1/2 stars

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but Orlando is probably a great spot. Some top-notch courses located there, and if you want to branch out Tampa isn't too far of a drive to go play a few rounds or you can hit the Space Coast (Palm Bay/Melbourne/Cocoa & Beaches) for a couple more great courses.

There are a couple of the "Golf Trails" in Florida as well. Here are a couple of them, and the courses they include w/Golf Digest Rating:

Florida Golf Trail
Bloomingdale Golfers Club (Tampa) 4 stars
Northdale Golf & Tennis Club (Tampa) 3 stars
Lansbrook Golf Club (Palm Harbor, NW of Tampa) 3 stars
Bardmoor Golf & Tennis Club (Largo) 4 1/2 stars
Bayou Club (Largo)
River Hills Country Club (Tampa)
Baytree National Golf Links (Melbourne) 4 stars
The Majors Golf Club (Palm Bay) 4 1/2 stars
The Preserve Golf Club (Bradenton) 3 1/2 stars

Orlando Golf Trail
Celebration Golf Club (Celebration) 4 stars
ChampionsGate International (ChampionsGate) 4 stars
ChampionsGate National (ChampionsGate) 4 stars
Falcon's Fire Golf Club (Kissimmee) 4 stars
Hunter's Creek Golf Club (Orlando) 3 stars
MetroWest Golf Club (Orlando) 4 stars
Orange County National - Panther Lake (Winter Garden) 4 1/2 stars
Orange County National - Crooked Cat (Winter Garden) 4 1/2 stars
Ridgewood Lakes Golf & Country Club (Davenport) 3 1/2 stars
Shingle Creek Golf Club (Orlando) 4 stars
Southern Dunes Golf & Country Club (Haines City) 4 1/2 stars

And of course, the courses at Disney World:
Osprey Ridge Golf Course (Kissimmee) 4 1/2 stars
Lake Buena Vista (Kissimmee) 4 1/2 stars
Palm Golf Course (Kissimmee) 4 stars
Magnolia Golf Course (Kissimmee) 4 1/2 stars

Thanks Osahar. that is a huge help. Great list of courses there for us to look into. Now I would just like a response on the best general city in Florida to golf.

The Omni at Championsgate is your best bet. Central location with tons of courses nearby. Of course it is also the Leadbetter academy. THere are tons though Dent. You tell me where the family wants to go, and I will tell you the resort and the courses. Keep in mind that Orlando does not have the beaches.

The Omni at Championsgate is your best bet. Central location with tons of courses nearby. Of course it is also the Leadbetter academy. THere are tons though Dent. You tell me where the family wants to go, and I will tell you the resort and the courses. Keep in mind that Orlando does not have the beaches.

We are leaning towards Tampa. Here is what we want.

-A Resort with a few courses around it (preferably the courses to be close to the resort)

-Hotel close to the beach

-Good price & best courses to play

There some considerations JB, any suggestions would be great!

For Tampa RESORTS, your best bet is Innisbrook. 4 courses there including Copperhead that is a PGA tour stop. From Innisbrook you are only 10-15 minutes from Clearwater Beach.

For Tampa RESORTS, your best bet is Innisbrook. 4 courses there including Copperhead that is a PGA tour stop. From Innisbrook you are only 10-15 minutes from Clearwater Beach.

And for a fun afternoon outing you can head a little north to Tarpon Springs to check out the sponge docks and out of this world Greek food.

Does anybody know if Falcon's Fire in Kissimmee is a fun course? It's only a mile or two from my dad's place and I've always been curious. (I've never taken my clubs when I've went to visit because my dad doesn't play golf.)

I have played there a couple of times but it has been over a year. It was a great track last time I played there.

Dent, what ages are your sibs? For years, we went to Family Club Med, in Port St. Lucie--not far from the ocean, and on a river. Golf course (not so great) and golf camp attached, with LOTS of other stuff for everyone to do. Big tennis emphasis, plus an entire circus (Boo Girl loves the trapeze). You're very close to PGA headquarters, with five courses, plus a bunch of others. 30 minutes from the West Palm Beach airport, but a bit of a hike to Orlando.

Looking up all the courses through Central FL was a good learning experience for me, actually. Now I have a better idea of what's in the area around me since I haven't looked. It's nice knowing that within 15-20 minutes of where I live I have two great courses (The Majors & Baytree National) and the greens fees aren't ridiculous (under $50).

Has anyone made the trip over to play either of these courses since they opened?

my brother was lucky enough to play:

BayHill
The Golden Bear Club
Grand Cypress

I believe you have to stay at Bayhill to play but my brothers godfather has some serious clout and coin down there so he must have pulled strings because my brother stayed in his house.

I played Baytree National. Not a bad track at all. Very enjoyable. The only issue I had with it was that it is apparently ALWAYS BUSY

Jb, that sounds perfect! Do you have a link for me?

Dent, what ages are your sibs? For years, we went to Family Club Med, in Port St. Lucie--not far from the ocean, and on a river. Golf course (not so great) and golf camp attached, with LOTS of other stuff for everyone to do. Big tennis emphasis, plus an entire circus (Boo Girl loves the trapeze). You're very close to PGA headquarters, with five courses, plus a bunch of others. 30 minutes from the West Palm Beach airport, but a bit of a hike to Orlando.

Hey claire, I actually just have a sister but she is 26 and doesn't live with us. My mom isn't coming either, it is just me and my dad. It's basically going to be an all golf vacation with a bit of stops to see some small things maybe the day we get there. We are staying for I think 7 days (1 day for travelling) and want to golf 5 or 6 of the days.

Yeah they are about as nice as it gets. Plus it is very close to everything being in Palm Harbor. 15 minutes to beaches. 4 courses right there. Tarpon Springs for the Sponge Docks and only 20 minutes from THP!

You will also be only 30 minutes or so from Busch Gardens.

They do.

Thanks JB, i'll forward this on to my parents. Do they have hotel/golf packages on that site?

all I have to say is damn...

InnisbrookCopperhead3.jpg

Innisbrook Copperhead - 7340yards

no joke!

is this heaven.... No Roy, it's Florida...

Island.jpg

Copperhead is one of the nicest courses in the country according to many publications. It is a tour stop and a fun course. However I actually prefer the Islands course there more than Copperhead.

Copperhead is one of the nicest courses in the country according to many publications. It is a tour stop and a fun course. However I actually prefer the Islands course there more than Copperhead.

If i get to go here JB, i'll feel like a king.

You can even get amollerud to work with you if you make it over to Westchase.

Back