The Players Championship = 5th Major?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Each year more and more people seem to say this and I just do not understand it. Sure it has a great field. But it is no better of a field than say Doral IMHO. Why is it that this tourny seems to get that moniker? I believe it is because of the name of the tournament.

What are your thoughts.

I think it's because the field is so consistently strong, and there are so many players that really want to win that one. Week to week, many of those guys are just out there to collect a paycheck, everybody wants a Players win credit on their resume.

I think the biggest reason is the name of the tournament and media hype, if they can get enough buzz going they are guaranteed to have a strong field.

Yeah, I agree. It's all just the media hype to get attention.
There can never actually be a 5th major, imo... At least, I hope there won't be...

If there ever is a fifth major, then they have to change the name of winning them all. Five can't be a Grand Slam.

The super slam?
Also, we'd have to put an asterix beside Tigers name when he passes Jacks record of 18 :D

You are right Geezer. Every record in every sport needs an asterick for one reason or another.

The current 4 majors are enough. Adding a 5th would be an insult to golf's history of great courses, and great players.

Now back to reality. We will eventually see a 5th major. Money (revenue) is everything in sports now days. A fith major would increase golf's revenue. So if there is to be a fith major, this is what I think they should do. Take the top 15 players (and ties) from each of the original, previous majors. Then let those 60+/- players play for that 5th major's championship. The course used for the 5th major should be set up harder than the normal, weekly courses they play on. The 5th major should also be played on courses located all around the world, and not just in one country. They could even call it the "FedEx Major" for all I care.......:comp:

Except there probably wouldn't be 60+ players because the example assumes the top 15 and ties are going to be completely different from one major compared to the other three. Just guessing, I would guess that someone finishing in the top 15 in one major is likely to finish in the top 15 in another. Especially if your name is Tiger, for one. You might end up with a tournament with 30 players or so.

I don't think there should ever be another major (unless one ceases operations, which would probably only be The Masters since it's only played on one course). Four is the standard, but if there were a fifth one, I would like as many of the top 100 players in the world to play in it. And since it's a major, we don't have to worry about Sergio winning it!

I do not think we will see a 5th major. However I know everybody is quick to point out the fact about records, but lets be serious. More games in football has not tarnished any.

Not tarnish, as such.
It would just be a sticking point in "Greatest player ever" debates for years and yearsto come.

I don't think the term "5th Major" is media hype at all, mostly because the players themselves are the ones that refer to it as such. I think the term "5th Major" is more of a term of endearment for the The Players Championship. On the LPGA they refer to Kingsmill as their "5th Major" also. I think it is a way of showing respect for the Tournament, the strength of field and the status that winning that event comes with. Winning at the TPC will guarantee you exempt status for several years more than a regular event, and get you in to exclusive tournaments(WGC events, the "real" majors, ect..) by winning as well. I don't think we'll ever actually see a real 5th major, but TPC is probably as close as you are going to get to it.

Oh yeah.... Geezer, once Tiger passes Jack in Major wins, there will be nothing to debate:D

There still isnt a debate. Winning percentage ends that debate. But that is for a different thread.

30 players (+/-) would be fine with me if that is the number of players that qualified from the previous 4 majors. My point is if we are going to add a 5th major, then the previous 4 majors should be included some how in the mix. As for a top 100 invite, then make it the top 100 ranked players, with the ranking numbers coming from just the previous 4 majors. :comp:

Unless he has five per year to have a go at for the last 10 years of his career.:D

As I said in my first post here and as most are saying, it won't be a major, and if it was Jack's total would be 20 majors(2 TPC wins) and Tiger would be at 15 now(1 TPC win). No one discounts Sam Sneads official PGA Tour wins when he was winning a 2 man best ball tourney, so there is no need for asteriks if it did become a major. But that is all irrelevant anyway...

30 players (+/-) would be fine with me if that is the number of players that qualified from the previous 4 majors. My point is if we are going to add a 5th major, then the previous 4 majors should be included some how in the mix. As for a top 100 invite, then make it the top 100 ranked players, with the ranking numbers coming from just the previous 4 majors. :comp:

They use to have a tourney something like that called the Tour Championship, it is still around but I think it goes by the name The Fed Ex Cup Coca-ColaTour Championship, and the qualifying for it still needs some work:rotfl:

I'm basing this on vague memory of John Feinstein, but I'd thought a lot of the push for making this a major had to do with the location being so close to HQ--the tour is busy hyping itself.

Lets not forget that it is also right near the HQ for TGC

My impression was the Players tourney was called the fifth tourney because they call themselves that. Which is another reason they shouldn't make it a fifth official major, since then everyone would start calling their tourneys the sixth major.

Back