Should I just get over it?

mytime

My tounge betrays me.
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
I know this seems petty but It drives me nuts. A guy I golf with refuses to buy a bag towel. Yet when we play, after every shot he walks over to my bag and uses mine. I have a towel on my bag for my use not his. Am I wrong for being upset with him for this or should I just get over it?

You have a right to be angry. You can buy a bag towel for like $5.

Bring a dirty @ss rag from home and the next time you golf with him and he starts walking over, toss it to him.

Better yet, take a Sharpie and write on it "I am too cheap to buy a golf towel, so my buddy had to give this to me to keep me from using his." Even better if the towel is hot pink. Or an old cloth diaper.

If you are not real particular, they are only $1.00 (plus tax?) at the dollar store. Perhaps a dollar investment on your part would save you some mental grief, if you purchased a dollar towel for him to use. Him using your towel might be his way of messing with your mental game.

This brings up another question. I see folks cleaning their clubs after every shot when they are playing 18 holes. But, very few clean their clubs after every shot on the driving range. Why is that? :confused2:

I think I'd just pick him up a towel from somewhere and next time we golfed hand it to him. Using some line like - "I noticed you seem to need one." or some such.

As for the cleaning, I usually clean after a shot on the course IF someone isn't waiting on my group to hit their shots. But at the range I'll usually clean if I dig some dirt or when putting that club away just because it's more hassle than it's worth when you're trying to hit a large bucket. :confused2:

I probably have at least 10 bag towels, some are cheap but others are really nice from various courses. If this guy were to walk up & start wiping his gruppy clubs on my towel there would be issues between us.

I agree with Osahar. I assume you guys are friends and sharing a cart, and if you golf with him a lot, get the guy a cheap towel for his bag. Might be worth your sanity that you'll need as the baby gets older! hehehe

I don't like people using my towel either, in fact I even made sure my wife had one on her bag even though I wouldn't care if she used it! I do however, also carry an old towel in the cart basket that I get soaking wet before the round that I offer to anyone in the group, even when we get paired up. Sometimes they use it, usually they don't.

Last edited:
You have right to be upset. But, if your friend refuses to buy a golf towel, give him one of your old towels. Or, the next time he goes to use it, tell him not to worry, but, you have just used it to blow your nose.

Send him here mytime. Tell him we have THP towels. hehe

Try not to get too angry/frustrated, after all it is only a towel.

HOWEVER,

if it winds you up as it must do to post here. Then tell him. If he is a friend he will probably apologise and go and buy one over the next week or two. If he becomes an idiot about it, then tell him to stroll on! and get his own!

thats what i would do anyway

I would do like most said and get him a cheap towel if he is too cheap to get one himeself. That would drive me crazy if someone kept trying to use my towel. I am happy to share but enough is enough already.

Bring a dirty @ss rag from home and the next time you golf with him and he starts walking over, toss it to him.

Better yet, take a Sharpie and write on it "I am too cheap to buy a golf towel, so my buddy had to give this to me to keep me from using his." Even better if the towel is hot pink. Or an old cloth diaper.

this is what I what do...

If it bothers you that much just get him a towel to use. Or just get over it. It is just a dirty, old towel. A towel that can be washed. Please tell me you are not trying to keep the towel you use to clean clubs with clean. Do you not like his club cooties on your towel, or is just the principle of him using yours instead of getting one of his own?

Now I could see if you have a towel that you use to dry off sweat on your hands and face, and he is using that one to clean his clubs, then I could see a problem here. But if it a towel clipped to your bag, whose sole purpose is to clean clubs, then you may want to take a step back, relax, and know it is only a towel.

Send him here mytime. Tell him we have THP towels. hehe

Hehe, I love my THP towel but I'm afraid to use it. With it being a beautiful pure white, the first time I wipe a grass covered or mud encrusted club on it I may never get it back to normal again!

On my cart bag I usually have two towels attached. One I'll wipe mud on (black oversized from Grand National in Hinckley, MN) and another that I'll wipe non-mud on (Nike black/grey microfiber). The THP towel stays on the Taylormade stand bag I won that it arrived with.

If it bothers you that much just get him a towel to use. Or just get over it. It is just a dirty, old towel. A towel that can be washed. Please tell me you are not trying to keep the towel you use to clean clubs with clean. Do you not like his club cooties on your towel, or is just the principle of him using yours instead of getting one of his own?

Now I could see if you have a towel that you use to dry off sweat on your hands and face, and he is using that one to clean his clubs, then I could see a problem here. But if it a towel clipped to your bag, whose sole purpose is to clean clubs, then you may want to take a step back, relax, and know it is only a towel.

Sure, it's just a towel, but don't you have your own towel clipped to your bag? I don't know anyone who doesn't. It's kind of part of your bag. If it was his first time out, maybe, but I've always had my own towel and figure that it's a basic accessory that everyone should have.

While I agree that it's not the end of the world, I'd rather see that people have their own stuff.

I think he is just doing it to piss you off, which I find pretty funny. What I would do, is find the ugliest towel out there, buy it and clip it on his bag.

I think he is just doing it to piss you off, which I find pretty funny. What I would do, is find the ugliest towel out there, buy it and clip it on his bag.

Something in hot pink w/ purple would do nicely. :D

Id say you have every right to be upset about it. Its a matter of respect and the guy being too cheap to go buy a golf towel.
If it were me, Id tell him in no uncertain terms that he needs to buy his own golf towel and that its very disrespectful for him to always use your towel. If he still doesnt get it, Id refuse to play golf with him anymore.

That would be good Gummi. Well have to keep our eyes open on Ebay for him. :act-up:

Now that I think about it, you should just taser him, and while he is wiggling on the ground, clean your club off on his golf shirt. Then, kick him and tell him to get up because he is holding up play. If after that, he continues to use your towel, repeat with the taser, his shirt, and the kick. Eventually he will catch on. :D

Actually to be honest, this is not my idea. We were over at my daughter's home today for a cook out. Some of my son in law's policemen (golfing) friends were there. We discussed the problem and the taser was the consensus. I believe pepper spray instead of the taser was a close second. :laugh:

These cops are all so quick to draw the taser these days!

I have an EWGA towel in a fairly hideous lime green. I'm happy to send it to you.

I have an EWGA towel in a fairly hideous lime green. I'm happy to send it to you.

That would be PERFECT!:blob:

Mytime - PM Claire your address, and all your problems will be solved. We're here to help. :D

Back