RTJ Courses remove GPS Units

bama

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 8.9
We played at RTJ Schoolmaster in Florence yesterday.
We were surprised to see that all the GPS units were removed from the carts.
Upon inquiry, we were told that they had been removed from every cart on every RTJ course in Alabama except for Ross Bridge.
They said it was the economy and the cost of the units..

Evidently they have a service contract and don't own the units outright.
They said the cost was $150/month per unit. At 165 carts at that particular location, that is a savings of about $25,000 per month.

I heard a few people complaining...I personally dont use it as my Bushnell gets the job done for me....

A lot of courses are doing this as more and more people have personal units and rangefinders. My home course still has them and offers them to people as an "add on" for $5 per cart. The GPS at my course is awesome, because it keeps score and gives sports scores scrolling across the bottom as well. As a member there is no extra charge for me thank goodness.

Most courses from what I have seen lease the equipment just like they do the golf carts.

seems it would be a LOT more cost effective to buy the units outright......
But i understand what your saying.. 2 people in our group were using theire Iphones for scoring and GPS layout of the course

I asked my course this before, but the reason that most do not buy it outright is the extreme up front cost and of course the service contract that comes with a lease.

Can't believe how expensive that is. I don't blame them for pulling them at all. Since so many players have their own range devices, I suppose pace of play shouldn't slow down too much without them in the carts.

I've played one course that had GPS in the carts. But when it's been really rainy and the course if cart path only, they aren't a whole lot of good. Plus I have my own.

I also can not beleive how expensive this is...but I never trusted those anyway. My hand-held always seemed more accurate anyway.

My skycaddie is not even close to as accurate as the ones at my club. But most only give front center and back and the ones at our course have 16 different locations so that I can get exact distance to the pin.

The course we play our league at has GPS and I love it, I don't have a handheld to compare it to but it seems pretty accurate.

Smalls if it's cart path only we pull up in line with our ball and then move the cursor to the approximate position of the ball in the fairway (or rough as the case may be) and get the yardage that way.

That would give you a pretty good idea; you can use the cart as a reference point in case your ball isn't where you thought. I'm glad I have my own though!

I'd like to compare it to one in a cart sometime.

Back