Matt1977

Reaction score
Handicap
ok, so i've at last finally assembled together what i would call a complete bag again, driver, 3w, hybrid, 4-pw, gw, sw, lw. I thought my putter choice would be easy, i used to play a circa 62 Scotty Cameron and since i'm back playing i've been using my brother in law's Taylormade CGB Rossa to great effect. This weekend i played 27 holes and now that winter is drawing in and the greens are getting slower, i came up short 5 maybe 6 times by a half maybe 1 roll of the ball. Should i consider a heavier putter for winter? Ideally i'd like a centre shafted traditional looking putter for slicker greens but i'm wondering if i'd get any benefit out of a heavier head on damp greens.

maybe i should man up and hit the damn thing harder!

What's your opinion, adapt my stroke or heavier putter?

Here are a couple of things that might help.

A few months back we did a Huge Putter Shoot Out and had over 25 putters put into this event.
The Hackers Paradise Huge Putter Shoot Out

Here is also our reviews on putters. We have reviewed just about every putter out there it seems and there is absolutely tons of information on different putters from every brand.
The Hackers Paradise Putters

I would say to find the putter that best suits you and your game and stick with it. That could be a Scotty, or TM Rossa, or Ping. Putting is probably the most important aspect of the game. My feeling is that I want that to be the most consistent part of my game. If I never buy another putter, I will be happy.

IMO it is better to adjust for green speed or other conditions with one putter, than to use different putters for different conditions. It can be done, and I'm sure many people do it. I just think it is easier to have one putter and one stroke. Then you can make any speed adjustments on the practice green or the first few holes. I live in an area where I could play 10 courses and have 10 different green speeds. You gotta figure out how to adjust with what you have.

you might want to look into the rife 2 bar hybrid. you can swap the weighting in it between 345 grams and 360 grams depending on how the greens are rolling. so you get to stay consistent with the look of the putter but can alter the weight of the head for varying conditions

you might want to look into the rife 2 bar hybrid. you can swap the weighting in it between 345 grams and 360 grams depending on how the greens are rolling. so you get to stay consistent with the look of the putter but can alter the weight of the head for varying conditions

Good point. I forgot about all the interchangeable weight putters. Heck, I have Yes putter in the trunk of my car that used to be my Dad's and it has 8 different weights I think.

Along the line of picking a putter. What are some opinions on the some instructor's teachings that a face balanced putter works better with a straight back, straight through stroke, while a toe weighted putter works better with an arc style stroke.

Legit, or hype?

man up...if the putter you're using has been consistant. If you were pleased with it just adjust your stroke for the speed of the winter greens. Try practicing on carpet,that seems to play like slower greens.Bottom line if you like what you're playing just adjust to the greens.You might have a different problem crop up if you change putters.

Last edited:
Green speed can change before the round is over. I'd say stick with what works best and adjust. I feel that would be the most consistent.

I agree with those who say to adapt the putter to the conditions. I haven't changed putters in years.

Back