Vegan702

Reaction score
Handicap
Exploding
I have been having problems with my long putter the last few weeks and couldn't figure it out so I went in and had a fitting done with it tonight at our local Golf Galaxy. I had an idea of what the problem was, but needed to get it confirmed. The length of the putter was 48" when I purchased it, but we added another 3" to bring it to 51" for my height so I could place the top of the handle right on my sternum. I guess when adding the 3" it put me back further from the ball, so when I lined up with it, my eyes were about 6" inside the ball. We bent the shaft and brought it up to 10 degrees and changed the loft a little bit. Unfortunately I can't bend the shaft anymore, so the heel of the putter will be at a slight angle off the ground at address. While there the PGA pro gave me a quick lesson with the long putter. I had one from my regular instructor, but he touched on some areas that my instructor hadn't. He was quite familiar with the long putter, whereas, I don't think my instructor is quite as knowledgeable with them. We put the tape on the putter and I have been hitting everything on the higher, toe side of the face. So I need to pick the putter up just about a 1/4" more off the ground and move in a little closer to the ball and hopefully that will bring me into the center. Hopefully it works out. Playing a round tomorrow afternoon at Primm Valley on the desert course on my way out of town tomorrow and then again Friday in San Diego. I need to knock off about 8-10 strokes from my putting as I have had a 2-3 four putts per round the last few rounds and about 4-8 three putts per round. It's killing my score! I estimate I am losing on average 10 strokes a round just from putting.

Glad it works. That is one of the reasons that I really like Taylormade Performance Labs, as they incorporate the putter fitting right there as well as the adjustments needed.

Glad it works. That is one of the reasons that I really like Taylormade Performance Labs, as they incorporate the putter fitting right there as well as the adjustments needed.

When you think about it, getting the putter fitted might be the most important part of fitting since you use that club more than anything else in your bag. They had a Ping putter that I was practicing with while waiting for my fitting I might go back and pick up. I was sinking everyone with that thing!

It's funny this topic popped up. I'm going to get a putter lesson and fitting tomorrow morning. I have been missing alot of putts right the past few weeks and I know its because I'm moving my body at impact but I need to get that straightened out and make sure my lie, loft and length is giving me the optimal chance to make putts.

I went back tonight and bought a Ping Karsten C67 center shaft. When I had my long putter in there last night getting fitted I picked this putter up and was making at least 8 of 10 putts with it. It just felt natural, which I haven't felt with any putter before. So I bought it, had them change the grip to a jumbo Winn grip and they lengthened it 1" to bring it to 36". My friend and I were supposed to leave to San Diego tonight, but his appt got changed to next week. So we went over to Angel Park and got 15 holes in before it got dark. Very first hole is a par 4, I am on in 3 after a fat pitch shot and left with a 25ft putt for par, nailed it! Very first putt on the course and drained it! Didn't even have time to go to the practice green with it as we wanted to get as many holes in as possible, so the only place I had used it before was in the store on their super fast turf. Anyways 2nd hole I nail a 10ft and the 3rd hole I drain another 20 footer. Unbelievable! My putting confidence has risen through the roof! I had 3 three putts, but mostly because I didn't read the breaks correctly and I was left with at least 10ft on two of them with holes in really crappy places on the green. All in all I am ecstatic about this putter. We are going out again tomorrow and playing, so I will get some more time with it before a tourney on Saturday.

Congrats on the new putter vegan, hope it continues to sink putts for you!

I just picked up an Odyssey Black Series i #7. Its a 35", but during my round today i found myself choking down on the grip alot, and am starting to think i'd benifit from a 34". The Scheels near my sells odyssey, and I'm wondering if they would be able to fit for me, or if I need to find a more 'golf only' store. I picked the putter up for 149$, brand new. Anyone have any info as to scheels doing a fitting.

The putter I bought was 35", during the fitting I would hold the putter almost at the very end. They wanted the putter to have about 1-1.5 inches past by top hand, so in effect I am choking down on the club. Is this how yours is?

Yea, There is about an inch or 2 that is up past my hands.

Has anyone cut one of their putter shafts down from say 35 to 34 and if so, what tool did you use? Has anyone dared use a hacksaw on a metal putter shaft?

I use one of those mini rolling tube cutters that a plumber would use on copper tubing most of the time. I have also used a fine tooth hack saw.
Has anyone cut one of their putter shafts down from say 35 to 34 and if so, what tool did you use? Has anyone dared use a hacksaw on a metal putter shaft?

I also was fitted for my putter at the Taylormade Performace Facility and I found out on average I hit 3% closed and the ball would tend to go to the left of the hole slightly. They had a center shafted club and the markers similar to the SeeMore and I holed it 3 out of 4 times I hit it. I went looking for the center shafted spyder with the SeeMore like sights and I could not find it online or in stores. I wish I would have bought it at the fitting. I might just email him back this week to have it sent out to me. What a great putter. :bananadance:

Thanks Provisional!

Thanks Provisional!

I'd just make sure you hit the cut end with a bit of sandpaper before trying to slide a grip on there - those plumber's cutters can leave a pretty sharp edge.

Back