Nickent 5DX Hybrid

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the official press release to follow on the images that I posted a couple of weeks back. We will have a review up on these in the next week or so.

Nickent Golf, a longtime industry leader in hybrid technology, introduces their latest breakthrough in hybrid shaping and performance with their new 5DX Ironwood.Nickent has been a trend setter in hybrids for over seven years, accumulating awards and professional tour wins from everywhere on the planet, including wins at the 2007 US Open and 2008 Ryder Cup. With their 5th generation design, the King of HybridsTM has produced an all stainless steel hybrid with a new geometrical shape that places discretionary weight to the extreme perimeters of the clubhead.
New "wings" on the back of the clubhead were designed by Nickent master designer John Hoeflich to optimize the center of gravity (CG) and increase the Moment of Inertia (MOI) for superior forgiveness. The increased MOI, which surpasses that of most fairway woods on the market, plus stronger lofts means a significant increase in distance.
"This is without a doubt the longest and straightest hybrid we have ever made," said Hoeflich. "Our first four different ironwood designs all followed the same basic classic profile. We knew we had an opportunity to increase the MOI by adding wings to the back of the clubhead. But one of my main principles in club design is that the club must look good to the player's eye in the address position. So while the wings add significantly to the playability and performance of the hybrid, we made sure that it would be accepted by the top players in the world from an appearance standpoint."
The 5DX Ironwood will sell for $199 with a mid-kick Level5 graphite shaft designed by Fujikura, the overall shaft leader on the PGA Tour for the last 7 years. The Fujikura shaft was designed specifically designed to boost the performance characteristics of the 5DX Ironwood.
There are a myriad of features and benefits that makes the 5DX Ironwood the new premium hybrid golf club in the marketplace.

USGA Conforming Geometry Limits
New geometry, featuring "wings" incorporates innovative body shaping for increased ball speed and accuracy as well as an increase in MOI.

Nickent Patented XW Inserts
Extreme perimeter weighting, including two tungsten-polymer XW inserts, and an adjustable weight plug on the sole, make this Nickent's most forgiving hybrid ever achieving an MOI of 3130, one of the few hybrids on the market with the ability to surpass the 3000 MOI mark.

Face Technology
Advanced A-frame face for high COR for increased ball speed with improved sound. The high tech face that is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges to provide a more constant ball speed.

Versatility of the 5DX
The 5DX Ironwood is an all purpose club that performs brilliantly in all situations. The A-Frame and deep face, combined with the strong lofts make the 5DX a good choice off the tee. The new cambered sole glides through the turf with ease, and beveled leading edge make the 5DX the ideal choice for a long par 3 or for a 2nd shot to land on the green on a par 5.

Design Customizations
The XW Inserts on the back of the clubhead are made of Tungsten Polymer and designed to look like the back of the Ferrari F430®. The XW inserts reduce vibration and are used for swing weight adjustment. It's like having moveable weights without the hassle and without relying on bulky screws that add a harsh feel at impact. The weight on the bottom of the clubhead can be adjusted by the manufacturer with different weight screws available (2g/4g/6g/8g/10g).

Level 5ive Shaft
New proprietary Fujikura shaft featuring a special Fujikura Graffiti design. Mid-kick shaft that optimizes launch angle. Available in R-Light, Regular, Stiff and Extra Stiff. The NNG grip is designed by Lamkin specifically for Nickent.

More Lofts, More Options
The 5DX hybrid is an iron replacement club comes in 9 different lofts, one club every 1.5 degrees from 14° to 26°. This hybrid system allows the golfer to attain the optimum distance control and trajectory. With this proven hybrid loft system, there will be no distance gaps in your bag and no confusion on what club your hybrid actually replaces.

Tour Approved
"We're proud to introduce 5DX to consumers after thoroughly testing the product with our invaluable professional tour staff made of some of the best players on the PGA TOUR, the Nationwide Tour and the LPGA," said Nickent Director of Tour Operations Josh Trivett. "We've tested the 5DX with various swing types that represent every type of player out there. We have definitely seen that this is one of the longest and straightest hybrids for everyone who tested it. The extremely high MOI provides unique qualities and benefits that everyone can benefit from. I think this will be a huge hit on the tours and for anyone looking for an advantage on the golf course."

"I thought Nickent had already created the perfect, easy to hit hybrid but somehow they have topped themselves. The ball comes off of the 5DX with ease and the increase in distance was noticeable on my first swing. I expect to be landing more Par 5's in 2 this year with the 5DX in my bag."
Brendan Steele
Nickent Nationwide Tour Staff Player

Cosmetics
Tour players were very complimentary of how well it sat at address and how square the hybrid sits. Players have been very impressed and have given the 5DX high approval rating from players.

Flight Characterisitcs
The playing characteristics of the #2 mirrored the testing results of the #3. It comes out with a slightly flatter trajectory, and with a hotter feel. These results seem to give the players the sensation that it is coming off hotter with more ball speed off the face. The ball flight is noticeably flatter with less spin. As tested with the majority of the players testing #3, the #2 had a slight distance advantage (3-5 yards over 4DX and 5-7 yards over 3DX RC) over our current hybrids.

"Every time a golf company comes out with a new club it is always the longest and straightest. But when Nickent comes out with a new hybrid and says it is the longest and straightest you have to take notice. After trying this club, Nickent is right. It is the longest and straightest hybrid I have tried. The biggest improvement in the 5DX model of the Nickent hybrid is the clubs take the proper trajectory of a long-iron replacement. I am already looking forward to the '09 season with this 5DX in my bag."
David Mathis

Availability
The 5DX Ironwood will be available through a golf retailer near you in mid-December.

... music to my ears JB!

i might have to pick one up if i decide to take my 3 iron out of the bag

• Admin
We will have the review of these coming in the next few weeks.

• Admin
So I have been playing this thing for a little bit now. I absolutely love it. Not taking anything away from either the 3DX or the 4DX, because I thought those were great hybrids. Some of the best around. This one has the same great feel as the rest did. The review will be coming up soon on all of the hybrids. These will hit stores in the next month I believe.

... looking forward to this one JB!

Back