Fitted irons or Rangefinder for the old man?

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
As many of you now know, Tha Shanks and I are brothers. We have a dilemma and would like to summon the opinions of our THP brethren (and sistren).

Our dad is 57 and loves golf, and we all golf together when we can. Mom wants to do something special for him for Christmas and called upon us for gift advice that's golf related. Shanks and I both have been fitted for our irons and love it, we also know that dad's current set is too short thus causing some poor shots that, quite frankly, can ruin his round. He's expressed interest in a range finder but we think that a good fitting is more what his game needs.

What ya'll think?

If you have a TMPL in your area, that would be the ultimate, but I would vote for the fitting if done well. However you really cannot go wrong with either. Kudos to your Mom.

If you have a TMPL in your area, that would be the ultimate, but I would vote for the fitting if done well. However you really cannot go wrong with either. Kudos to your Mom.

Unfortunately there's no TMPL in my area but i got my fingers crossed that perhaps Shanks or I could send him after your big, bad contest.

Shanks worked at a private club for a few years in Cashiers, NC and is still tight with the pro, so the fitting process would be done well. After Christmas i'll tell mom that she got two thumbs up from you, she's a tampa girl herself.

Unfortunately there's no TMPL in my area but i got my fingers crossed that perhaps Shanks or I could send him after your big, bad contest.

Shanks worked at a private club for a few years in Cashiers, NC and is still tight with the pro, so the fitting process would be done well. After Christmas i'll tell mom that she got two thumbs up from you, she's a tampa girl herself.

Thank goodness because they are awfully expensive.....that is unless you win the THP free fitting......if you can't win that then I suggest asking around to see who is the best to fit him for his set in your arear......

One gift now, and the other for Father's Day. Easier on your collective pocket books over the long run..........

The fitting for the irons is clearly the way to go. I think the TM system is nice, but any good fitter with a Trackman can do about as well for a hell of a lot less.

Either will be valuable but a new set of clubs will probably help more.

The fitting for the irons is clearly the way to go. I think the TM system is nice, but any good fitter with a Trackman can do about as well for a hell of a lot less.

Both are great systems, but I have been through both on multiple occasions and think the TM system is superior. Have you been through a TMPL fitting?

Both are great systems, but I have been through both on multiple occasions and think the TM system is superior. Have you been through a TMPL fitting?

What are the main fundamental differences?

Uh oh we're in trouble for talking about a sponsor again lol :angry:

Reactions: JB
A sponsor? :confused2:

A sponsor? :confused2:

LOL just giving JB a hard time, everytime he gives a great review about something if anyone says anything negative about them he get's a little annoyed......

Uh oh we're in trouble for talking about a sponsor again lol :angry:

Price lol and the taylormade name.....

LOL just giving JB a hard time, everytime he gives a great review about something if anyone says anything negative about them he get's a little annoyed......

What in the blue hill are you talking about? First of all, Taylormade does not own TMPL. Lets start with that. Second of all, while the fittings use high technology, the similarities stop there. Trackman fitters do just that fit people. I have been through it 3 times and loved each one, but they are merely fittings when I went. If someone wanted lessons with Trackman that is something different and can be done as well. What TMPL offers is incredibly unique.

clg82 - Have you ever been through either one?

I far preferred the TMPL system, however it comes at a price and is not widely available.

BUT WE HAVE NO ADS ON THIS SITE AND NEVER WILL. If I review something I take the time to actually review it. Not get paid to review it. Not sell the equipment afterwards for profit or anything else. Therefore my opinion is what it is after trying something out.

I have tried both and simply asked a fellow forum member if he has as well. Because while I liked Trackman, I found it very different, however both worked well. I simply preferred the TMPL due to a number of reasons.

But do NOT make an accusation of this site getting paid for endorsements. We take that very seriously and have NOT received a nickel for a review.

JB, would you mind shedding a little light on why you preferred TMPL? What it does that's different/superior?

For me it was about a couple of things. The trackman fitting is a fabulous fitting tool, but I liked the TMPL use of tour players, their swings, the overlay of them on a projector onto my swing to show where I am off. They have their database built in with every PGA Tour player swing and watching them over the top from 360* angles was something special and something I did not get at any of my 3 trackman fittings.

The trackman fittings I went to were very in depth and they offered various viewpoints, but not nearly as many as the TMPL offer.

Plus I get a lesson with a PGA teacher built in.

For me it was about a couple of things. The trackman fitting is a fabulous fitting tool, but I liked the TMPL use of tour players, their swings, the overlay of them on a projector onto my swing to show where I am off. They have their database built in with every PGA Tour player swing and watching them over the top from 360* angles was something special and something I did not get at any of my 3 trackman fittings.

The trackman fittings I went to were very in depth and they offered various viewpoints, but not nearly as many as the TMPL offer.

Plus I get a lesson with a PGA teacher built in.

Thanks. It would be a pretty cool bonus to see where your swing stacks up compared to a pro, especially if it's someone that you are a fan of.

Practical question on the gift for your Dad--would he go along with a fitting? It's a great idea, but if he's the type who eschews that sort of thing, or can never find the time for it, then it's not worth the bucks.

Thanks. It would be a pretty cool bonus to see where your swing stacks up compared to a pro, especially if it's someone that you are a fan of.

During my lessons we will put my swing up against any number of pros to see where I am lacking or getting better on the video analysis. Probably not the same thing, but it's fun to see. You can setup a similar thing at home as the software is only $40, just need the cameras also. I thought about setting it up my garage, as the whole thing could be done for less than $500.

Practical question on the gift for your Dad--would he go along with a fitting? It's a great idea, but if he's the type who eschews that sort of thing, or can never find the time for it, then it's not worth the bucks.

That's a good question and one that my brother and i have discussed at length. I kind of had to spill the beans a little to the old man to get some infomation on which route to go. Dad plays a lot with some guys his age he goes to church with and they've all been fitted. He says that it's something he'd like to do. However, this is the same man that has owned an FT-5 & R7 Limited drivers, which have all been sold whilst he reverted back to his R5.

Shanks and I are organizing a fitting session for a Saturday morning, then a round of golf afterwards on a nice private course (the experience is part of the gift as well)

No, I have not. There is one available to me in Boston, but that is a 3.5 hr ride. that is not a deciding factor, since I am at least 2 hours from a Trackman assuming the troopers are sleeping. From what I have seen on their site, they use AMM or similar technology to capture a 3-d "image" of your swing, and use a lot of bells and whistles to match you up with the ideal club.

Frankly, I do not see what practical advantages one gets unless you are at tour level with this approach versus having a Trackman, and a Casio FH-20 along with a fitter who is professional class. While I am sure the TMPL pros are excellent, I will be sending my fitting results to my pro via the web for his input prior to selecting clubs.

What I consider the primary advantage of the alternative approach is that every manufacturer and shaft is a potential match, not simply TM equipment. Five years ago, when I was a TM guy, it would have been fine, but since I now play Celeveland and Cobra metals with Fuji and Mitsi shafts, I want the options of every potential club. I still have TM irons and one wedge. Not that I could afford a Fourteen or exotic Japanese stuff, but if I perceive and Trackman tells me I am hitting the new Launcher better than the R-9, or vice-versa, I want that option.

Finally, I have a financial restraint from She Who Must Be Obeyed. I probably get somewhere in the neighborhood of $2,500 max per year in equipment (and that is really cutting into my NASCAR budget). To kill $750 or more, just for the fitting, would be kissing about 30% of that without a single club in my hand.

My only other alternative is to spend more time on the road, make more money, but then where does my golf game go? That is a silly alternative.

A couple of things to point out Phana.

TMPL does NOT just fit for TM clubs. They fit me for my Nickent irons when I was using them and did the adjustments in house. They may recommend TM clubs, but they fit our senior tester for a Yes putter and Bridgestone wedges. They fit based on your own equipment, not necessarily buying others.

I like the Trackman quite a bit, but it is NOT the same thing. While the end result may be similar, they are very different systems and use very different methods.

The price is not $750 either. It is $400 or less and many times they are offering half off. But to call them the same without ever going through it seems odd.

They are both great systems and do wonders for people.

Callaway - I agree with Claire. While the fitting is a wonderful gift, it sounds like your father has another gift in mind. Is it feasible to buy both? I only ask because then your father gets the gift he asked for and a wonderful surprise that you guys want to give.

Callaway - I agree with Claire. While the fitting is a wonderful gift, it sounds like your father has another gift in mind. Is it feasible to buy both? I only ask because then your father gets the gift he asked for and a wonderful surprise that you guys want to give.

yet another fantastic point. thanks diane. i wish we could do both for him but that just can't happen this year, not since the bottom fell out. it's a tough one for sure b/c shanks and i both think he'll get more out of the fitting, as far as improving his course, but he's an old man and i certainly don't want him being bitter about some nice sticks. Hence our dilemma. Perhaps it's best to just straight up ask him what he wants, but that's not in the christmas spirit to me.

A couple of things to point out Phana.

TMPL does NOT just fit for TM clubs. They fit me for my Nickent irons when I was using them and did the adjustments in house. They may recommend TM clubs, but they fit our senior tester for a Yes putter and Bridgestone wedges. They fit based on your own equipment, not necessarily buying others.

I like the Trackman quite a bit, but it is NOT the same thing. While the end result may be similar, they are very different systems and use very different methods.

The price is not $750 either. It is $400 or less and many times they are offering half off. But to call them the same without ever going through it seems odd.

They are both great systems and do wonders for people.

At this time, all I have to go by is what they display on their website. Exactly what did you see/learn/observe from a 3-d display about your club selection or swing that you you could not have ascertained with a Trackman and FH-20 or equivalent? It sounds like a great system, but some of us have to accept that life dictates we will drive a Mitsubishi Evo instead of a Porsche. I can get there just as fast (trust me, I just totalled one :banghead:), but with a lot less status. The $750 was quoted to me by a guy at the Boston location, perhaps it included more than just the generic fitting.

Back