When it comes to selecting golf shoes, there are choices on top of choices and finding the right shoe is never an easy task. For the golfer that wants something classic, there are a few brands that always seem to rise to the top of lists everywhere, however that list of traditional looking shoes seems to be shrinking a little bit over the last few years. One company that has long been known for producing high quality and elegant footwear off the course is Allen Edmonds and they are now bringing that to the greens with the introduction of the Honors Collection. The new line features all the classic touches one would want from wingtips and perforated saddles to braided leathers and traditional saddles. The company is bringing back the construction that most have been craving without a sacrifice in performance.
• Links — a classic spikeless teaching shoe which is perfect for the pro who needs to hustle back and forth between the shop and the range. This shoe is also perfect for the man who desires a pair of shoes that he can wear to the office and stop at the range on his way home to hit a few balls after work. Available in White Alpine Grain/Brown Trim and White Alpine Grain/Black Trim.
• Redan — a classic, popular saddle style shoe with cleats. The Redan is made from fine leathers and features 11 spikes for extra stability during the golf swing. Available in Black Alpine Grain / Brown Chrome XL, White KaraGrain / Black Woven Print, White KaraGrain / Chili Woven Print and White KaraGrain / Black Shark.
• Mullen — a classic Moc Toe bluchar style with cleats. The Mullen is for the man who wants a gorgeous golf shoe that takes styling beyond the more universal saddle style found in the Redan or Links. It also features 11 spikes and is made from the finest leathers. Featuring blucher lacing, this Mullen may be a stronger choice for men with higher insteps. Available in Black Alpine Grain / Brown Chrome XL and Chili Country Calf.
• 1 Up — a very classy wingtip style with balmoral lacing and 11 cleats. It features all the stability of 360º Goodyear welted construction with a sturdy, breathable ballistic nylon upper. This creates a shoe that is extremely lightweight and breathes, making it perfect for hot weather golf. Available in Black Outland / Black Nylon and Brown Outland / Black Nylon.
• Double Eagle — similar to the 1 Up, the Double Eagle also features the stability of a 360º Goodyear welted construction with a sturdy, breathable mesh upper. Consider this shoe for hot weather and feel the comfort as the mesh wraps around the width of your foot. Available in Black Outland / Grey Mesh and Brown Outland / Brown Mesh.
The Honors Collection is a handmade shoe using a 212 step production process and are crafted in the USA using a construction that is designed for greater stability without a sacrifice in flexibility. They feature incredibly fine premium leathers and heated cork between the insole and outsole for orthotic like comfort. Anybody that has owned other Allen Edmonds products is aware of their craftsmanship and “reconditioning” that they offer and the Honors Collection is no different in that regard. What that means is the company will resole and recondition worn shoes and have them back to greatness in no time. There is a fee involved in this process, but its an incredible service to have at your disposal and one that can make a fine pair of shoes last a lifetime.
Here are a couple of videos showing what recrafting is and why it is such an exceptional service to have at your disposal.
What is Recrafiting and why does it help?
38 Step Recrafting Service shown (very cool)
The Fit & Comfort
THP received the Redan style to test out and wear around the course and we are happy to report that the shoes run true to size based on our other findings. As with everything, we strongly urge you to try on shoes before purchase and these should be available at Allen Edmonds shoe stores very soon. When you put them on, the first thing you notice is a different type of feel than you are used to if you are coming from one of the popular sport style shoes. A little more rigid would be the best way to describe it around the top of the foot and in the back above the heel, however within a fairly quick time, the shoes become incredibly comfortable with an almost custom like fit. The footbed is heavily padded and feels incredible in the toe area as well as the heel and once the leather softens and breaks in, you truly have a shoe that has absolutely everything in terms of comfort and fit.
In our rounds on the course, we found that the more the Redan shoes were worn, the more comfortable they were and the more they “enveloped” the foot. This is not a shoe that you pick up to wear and then plan on replacing at the end of the season when the new styles come out. Allen Edmonds is working to create a timeless classic that with proper care and their commitment can last for years to come.
Allen Edmonds is entering the marketplace with a new shoe line that is not what you see from most out there right now. Going back to the basics with high level “ingredients” and craftsmanship that rivals any product on the market and a commitment from the company to take care of the products to keep them like new for years upon years. If you are a fan of the classically designed golf shoe and are looking for a little more in terms of quality and comfort, you should definitely keep the Allen Edmonds Honors Collection on your short list. The Redan that we tried offered everything one could want in a golf shoe and we look forward to trying out other models as well. For more information on any of the new line check out the company’s website at www.allenedmonds.com.
Till Next Time