The Driver You Play

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I went from the Cobra driver that I absolutely loved but just could not get the distance to the Ping G10. I have loved the Ping since I got it 3 months ago, but lately it just has not worked for me and makes me long for the days of my Cobra. I am curious what driver you guys play? Why did you choose it? What you like and dislike about it?

Harry made me demo the PINGs. I fell in love. This was a few weeks AFTER I had been fitted for the Callaway Hyper X (11*), so that's my "hope I grow into it" driver.

Last edited:
  • Admin
I think you meant the Callaway Hyper X right?

I think you meant the Callaway Hyper X right?

Thanks for the catch--those are the hybrids. Fixed it.

Nike Sasquatch Sumo2 (Diamana stiff shaft). It works; & works well.

I had tried out a range of drivers, eg. TM Burner, Titleist 907D1, Orlimar (square), Wilson Staff Dd6, Nike Sasquatch (conventional) & the list went on.

The one I kept coming back to as the best performer (for me) was the Sumo2. I've heard it described as noisy & not as 'pretty' as conventional clubs but I love it to death when it splits the fairway.

Last edited:
I am using last years Nike Sumo Driver 10.5 degree with a Stiff shaft. Just seemed to feel and perform better when I tested all the drivers in the $200 range last spring.

Ping G10.

It was a gift from my brother for my birthday (he fawkin rocks!)

I like it very well, but I'll likely re-shaft it with a TFC 129 (stiff) when I can, it matches my swing a little better than the V2, and I launch the ball better.

It's good to see everyone posting about their (favorite) driver. In relation to drivers, my thoughts are that when you find one that does the job well, there's no need to change it (unless you break it or its stolen).

You see a lot of the pros at times using a superseded driver from their sponsor's range. Obviously, they're more comfortable with that than than newer models. In the same vein, you also see pros using a rival sponsors club but concealing it with their (the pro's) sponsor's headcover.

• Admin
THat is true, but I have changed my driver each of the last 4 seasons and it has helped me every single time. So I think it is different with everyone.

Did you keep your old driver(s)?

I've heard stories about golfers who don't dispose of their old driver & if the new driver is not working, they bring out the old faithful.

Traded them in every time.

Did you keep your old driver(s)?

I've heard stories about golfers who don't dispose of their old driver & if the new driver is not working, they bring out the old faithful.

I hear that about putters, mostly. Guys with a couple dozen putters in the basement or garage. Probably the same guys who call their ex-girlfriends in the middle of the night...

Calls to ex-girlfriends & ex-putters are all 'cries for help' & should be met with the same compassion & immediate response. :bulgy-eyes:

Calls to ex-girlfriends & ex-putters are all 'cries for help' & should be met with the same compassion & immediate response. :bulgy-eyes:

And that would be???

[why do I feel like I'm walking right into something very, very bad?]

Too much of a gentleman to say. :quiet:

Well, I've certainly put a crimp in your style this evening, haven't I? My turn to change shifts. Manana.

I hear that about putters, mostly. Guys with a couple dozen putters in the basement or garage. Probably the same guys who call their ex-girlfriends in the middle of the night...

I have one putter and several ex's and I never call any of them:silly:

First post on this GREAT new forum!
Well, this was my year to get back into golf. I tried and tried and tried too many clubs in general. I had a few different drivers every few weeks it seems. Also, I keep trying to find my swing, so take it all with a grain of salt. All the new Cally, TM, etc ones. Either in my bag or at the range. Typically I fight a fade and hit 235-250 avg...and am happy with that length. As I work on my swing and grip, I often will overcompensate and hit draws or hooks.

The two I settled on:
Nike 500, 8.5 UST stiff. I love the heft of this club and when I'm swinging well it kills the ball. Sometimes though, as if I am weak that day, it is too much heft and not working.

907d2, 9.5 Adila. Love this club, I really do. No clue why people tend to rag on it so much, though I do agree that it does seem to just fall out of the air at the end and not get much roll, but heh, I'll take better drives for a little distance any day. Workable and I'm not a "worker" of the ball, but if my swing is in poor shape or not happening, I can adjust the most to this club and get it going decent enough to not have a crappy round.

Last weekend I bought an Adams A3 Insight thingy, Adila, 9.5. THe numbers weren't that great, but I had hit this used one three different times and always liked the seemingly straight and length I got, so what the heck.
Got it home, went to the range, whammo! Friggin loooooong! I hit around 40 balls, after the first 5-7 as I got comfy, I was hitting it dead straight or with a slight draw..carrying 250-275 every time! Wow! I found it! But on the course I have been all over the place the 3 rounds with it. Must be me.

Our season is over here in Ohio, but I'll get out when I can, but at this point I think I'll be taking the 907 with me when we go to Florida over the holidays in December. I look forward to trying the 09 Titleist and the Adams, imagine I'll go through another 20 next season:tongue:

I'm gaming a 907 D2 with a UST Proforce V2 (76g, 2.2 torque) and to tell you the truth I don't really like the feel to the shaft, and it just spins the ball for me like crazy. So right now I'm thinking of putting a Prolaunch Red or a MRC Whiteboard in it, or getting a G10 with the Prolaunch Red. OH THE CHOICES :excruciating:

I really like the G10. I have tried a lot, but this one works for me.

Yeah, my swing coach is a Ping staffer, and I've hit his G10 quite a bit, and I like it a lot. But I've hit his 7.5* with the TFC X-Stiff shaft, and I still have 4000+ RPMs of back spin.

I hit a Callaway FT-5. I get consistently good contact with it and I love the sound (some people don't). The only negative with it right now is that I tend to fade the ball with it right now. My uneducated guess is that the Fujikura Stiff shaft it came with isn't as stiff as I need.

909 D2 with UST Proforce V2 extra stiff shaft and I love it. Longest, straightest driver I have ever hit.

I like my Cobra because I feel like it has a huge sweet spot that when swung correctly, cannot be missed. Also, the red/black contrasting colors look awesome to me. I have had it for 2 years, and Will probably get a new one either next summer or the summer I graduate. Surprisingly, a stiff flex works for me. In both my driver and Irons (Irons: TT DG S300, Driver: Aldila Tour AD Stiff 62 gram mid-kick)

Surprised there aren't more posts on this thread. Granted it is from 2008.

I play the TM R9 SuperDeep. I love it. Not super forgiving but if you hit it in the middle it is a beast. I really like the looks of it, and I love the adjustability, I have it set at Neutral Upright. All in all, it was a major upgrade from my Tour Burner. I was lucky enough to win a TM R9 Supertri at a tournament and traded it for the SuperDeep through my work.

Back