Strategy playing from the rough

chuck_w

Reaction score
Handicap
high
Yet another obstacle to my quest to break 100........

My home course has a number of narrow fairways which are flanked by thick Bermuda grass rough. Frequently, my tee shots find their way into the rough, and usually that is where the problems on that hole start for me.
My question is, what is the best strategy for playing out of this type of rough ? Should I use a wedge, and try to get the ball back onto the fairway, or should I just try and play the same shot I would at that distance if I were on the fairway ? So far, my success at hitting long iron shots or even hybrids from the thick rough has been spotty at best.
Any help would be appreciated

I would say that depending on the rough, just be sure to take a club with enough loft to get you out of trouble and aim a little to the right as the rough will grab the hosel and partially close the club head. This is assuming you're RH. Hybrids have always worked for me and depending on the risk/reward always try to get back to the fairway whenever possible.

If the rough is thick, I usually club up and just take a sturdy swing at the ball. As thanks mentioned, it really all depends on the rough, and how effective you think you can get a club underneath the ball. Bailing out is never a bad idea, especially if your ball is buried.

the answer to this is... it depends
there are wayyy too many variables
is the ball sitting up... down deep?
is there alot of grass behind the ball or can you get clean contact?
first cut or ugly stuff
and the ultimate... how far off is your target?
do you have to carry anything?

depending on the situation there are a number of different solutions...
my mindset is just advance the ball without getting into deeper trouble by any means necessary

the answer to this is... it depends
there are wayyy too many variables
is the ball sitting up... down deep?
is there alot of grass behind the ball or can you get clean contact?
first cut or ugly stuff
and the ultimate... how far off is your target?
do you have to carry anything?

depending on the situation there are a number of different solutions...
my mindset is just advance the ball without getting into deeper trouble by any means necessary

Good stuff here.

My general answer would be to take an extra club or two, choke down a bit so you can take a good swing at it, and aim at the safest spot to miss.

But like bogey mentioned, there are a ton of variables that can make each shot different.

Yet another obstacle to my quest to break 100........

So far, my success at hitting long iron shots or even hybrids from the thick rough has been spotty at best.

You answered your own question right there! Chunk it back in to play and you'll be breaking 100 in no time.

When you start trying to break 90 or 80 then you can think about more aggressive alternatives.

There isn't too much real thick rough on my course, but I usually just either
a) Take one club more
b) Take the same club and swing harder

and then

c) Aim a little right, as my ball tends to draw more than usual out of rough.

Back