Rolling your wrists

gbigoose1

Reaction score
Handicap
I know that to effectively work the ball, you have to know how to roll your wrists over on drives. Its such a simple concept but every time I try i close the club face and just have an awful shot. I guess that my question is to hit a solid straight drive every time, do you have to roll your wrists. And even if you don't, are there any videos or guides that could help. Maybe my whole perception is totally off and thats why I'm asking.

for me personally, if I don't roll my wrists the club face is too open and that's what leads to a slice for me... a slight roll, and the slice is gone...

I've never taken lessons, and this is probably just my band-aid for a flawed swing, but it works, and it keeps the ball in the fairway...

I don't think you should actively roll them, just don'y hold the face open. Basically back of left hand faces target somewhat, depending on grip strength. You never want it facing the sky!

Guys this is the ask the pro section. Lets keep it clean until Andy the THP teaching pro has had a chance to come on and answer. Thanks.

I am a fan of letting the hands work naturally. Some people have a hard time releasing the club and the face hangs open. If this is you we can work a couple of drills to close the face. For now I would like you to just make baseball swings above the ball and pay attention to the feel you get in your hands. See how they release and roll over on there own. This is the sensation that you want to work into your golf swing.

As a side note the back of your left hand (right handed players) is a great guide for where your club face is. IF you know where your left hand is you know where your club face is.

Back