SeeMoreGuy

They Make 'em. I Buy 'em.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of Keiser College of Golf? Well, I was down in St. Lucie, FLorida and was driving by and saw the sign and just had to stop in and inquire the other day. Found out it is part of Keiser University that apparently is located throughout Florida. I received a tour and was told they offer an 16 month program in which you are trained on 16 aspects of golf ranging from instruction, short game, club repair, greenskeeping, marketing and how to run tournaments..ect.

Students focus on one block of instruction each month and then test out and move on the next course. I was given a tour of the facility which included the video training area, club repair, fitness center and classrooms. The college itself has only been around since January 2010 so there has not been a graduating class yet. About 50 students are expected enroll this fall and they keep class sizes down to 24. Tuition for the 16 month program: $33,000.

I was able to see the TM MATT system because the school has one site as TaylorMade is a sponsor of the training faciliy. They also have the club repair equipment agreement with Mitchell who is supposed to be one of the best companies around for that.

I just thought I would share because the only golf specific college I have ever seen is that cheesy commercial on Golf Channel with the guy who has the bad hair piece and the student saying going there was the best experience of his life. This college appeared to be legit with admission counselors ect. The students get to attend class four days a week and have unlimited use of the courses/practice facilities at PGA Villiage.

My question is: How many THP'ers would attend such a college/program to gain an associate degree to work in the golf industry? I am just curious.

SeeMoreGuy

Its an interesting concept, that is for sure. I believe you mean the MATT system...hehe

Its not for everybody, because it will not replace a regular degree in my opinion, but it training is training and it certainly helps get involved in some aspects of golf. I know Wadsworth used to hire some from them.

Thanks for the catch JB. As I was touring I told they try to place students with TM and other companies. Seems like a good concept for those interested. It certainly covers many aspects of the world of golf.

The suits on the MATT system were pretty cool. Looked like you were being hooked up to do an EA gaming video. I guess in essence you are.

Thanks for the catch JB. As I was touring I told they try to place students with TM and other companies. Seems like a good concept for those interested. It certainly covers many aspects of the world of golf.

The suits on the MATT system were pretty cool. Looked like you were being hooked up to do an EA gaming video. I guess in essence you are.

Yeah, we have some pictures and videos on the home page of people getting hooked up in those suits. I know some companies have hired from them in CS, and other areas, not the glam jobs really, but a job is a job in this economy. And like I said Wadsworth has used them in the past.

I have seen it also. looks very interesting for sure

I am finishing my undergraduate degree in Accounting and in the past had thought about attending The Golf Academy in Orlando / Myrtle Beach after finishing. It's probably not a realistic thing to think about, but if I could go back and do it again and I knew I'd find a job, I'd probably major in something that would give me an opporunity to get into golf course management. I think working in the golf industry would definitely be one of the most enjoyable careers one could imagine.

Im in a Golf course management program now. Bachelors of Applied business, specializing in golf management. Less on the golf pro side, more on the general managers side. I like it. 4 winter semesters, 3 paid Summer internships, 1 in turf, 1 in golf operations, 1 in clubhouse operations.

Back