TexAg08

Buckle #12 Whoop!!
Reaction score
Handicap
Sorry I'm posting so much but I am quickly getting addicted to this site too, and I want to qualify for the contest tomorrow. I have a question about the Titleist NXT Tour ball which i am currently playing.

It seems that between 1-3 uses of a ball with a wedge (I'm using VR wedges) the ball gets chewed up bad is that because the ball is soft or beacuse the grooves are so sharp? I'm producing a lot of spin on wedge shots, I'm just wondering whats going on?

No sweat on the posting so much. We all love it. As far as the ball being chewed up, it is because of both. I think if you played a Pro V or any other tour level ball with even a softer cover, you would see even more chewing.

How much does playing a chewed up ball off the next tee box affect ball flight? I clean the ball to remove the "hangers, Tags"? but wonder if it is hurting my distance or should i just keep it in my pocket and use it for my chip shots

I dont think you will notice too much distance on tee shots. I play a ball for a good time even after it has been pretty scarred up by my Nickent Arc Wedges.

The grooves should ease up some in a little time. How old are the wedges or how much useage? A few bukets of range balls can help the initial bite.

I got the wedges in Novemeber on release day lol and on average play 18 holes a week

Judging by his initial post mentioning VR wedges, I think they cannot be older than a couple of months.

You can dull up the grooves a bit by hitting sand shots with them. It wont hurt the spin much at all, it will only dull them to the point where they wont chew up your golfballs as much.
Id agree that its a combination of high-spin wedges and soft golfballs.

Reactions: JB
Man i would love to be in your position....NXT Tour is my Summer ball.....i get no discernable difference to a Pro V1 (thats me. May not be true for others) for a lot cheaper.

sadly it is so cold here in England at the moment (played in minus 8 degrees c the other day!!!) that all benefits of the expensive balls are almost lost, so i have switch to srixon AD333's for the time being. Not as nice though!

Anyway, to answer the question...as others say, it is a combo of sof ball and sharp grooves.....You should only need to switch out the ball if it is shaved down to the point where the dimples are not really there anymore, as it will then start to lose your flight characteristics and disatnce!

As long as the cover of the ball isnt cut, I wouldnt worry about it.

When I play my next round I'll take some pics some times they look like a beaver has chewed on it and others are mild but after a few solid shots with the wedge they physically feel terrible

Back