Good course/bad service vs poorer course/great service

TheNewBrad

Who's ya caddy?
Reaction score
Handicap
Deceptive
Just wonder if anyone has experienced this.

I am a member of a municipal course. Not the greatest of courses but I have used it as a training course over the last 3 years. But I can say that the pro shop staff are great. They are always friendly & look after their members with great prices on the top brands. There's nothing they won't do to help.

On the other hand, a 36 hole golf course near me (which I have been considering whether to join) has two pretty good 18 hole courses, yet the pro shop staff can be surly, rude & unhelpful (and that's the owners).

When I have bad experiences with rude staff, the thought of handing over money for membership really sticks in my craw.

Has anyone else experienced this? - very good course, great location, rude staff.

Last edited:
Elsewhere, you had suggested these aren't your only two choices.

I'm in a service business, with some tough economics. Customer service is key. I know what I want to receive, and I make sure my clients get a lot better than that. I've become totally impatient with bad customer service and simply refuse to pay for it.

A good club, especially a private one, knows this. The suck-up level at ours is just amazing--I cannot get anyone to call me by my first name. But its' VERY easy to get used to, and I appreciate it.

Hang tough until you get both.

Wait...there are pro shop guys that aren't surly and rude? I've never encountered them.

I'll take a better course. You don't really have to interact with these guys. I just think bad customer service usually comes with feeling like a failure and having a sad life.

Last edited:
I am with Julie.

And I'm old and cranky. :snicker:

I played at Lost Canyons a couple of Sundays ago. http://www.lostcanyons.com/ All of the staff and the starter were really cool, but the guy behind the desk was the biggest A hole. Ive found this to be a pattern at the nicer courses around here. Maybe its just because I play early on weekends and people are hungover. Usually after a good round all is forgotten though.

After a good round of...

hehe :curl-lip:

I don't mind bad service, when it's at a good course, and good service at a bad course makes the round better for me.

I don't really interact with the pro-shop people. I go in pay for my stuff and I'm gone, if they are rude I just let it go. Most of the time I'm at the course is during the afternoon, and so I figure, most of the people have been working all day, and they just want to go home. But luckily my 2 home courses have great service, and are also great tracks.

I don't mind bad service, when it's at a good course, and good service at a bad course makes the round better for me.

Bad service anywhere sucks. Luckily there's enough courses around here that if I don't like the service at one, I can go to another. I understand the number of courses near you are limited so you might have to suck it up and deal with it. But you'll learn soon enough that there are alterntives to bad service. And ignoring it is not one of them.

Back