Might need a miracle more than a lesson...

PiratePenguin

2024 Goat Cup Team Brennan
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been struggling mightily with my irons lately and finally got some video of it last night.

First, my grip:

4903424018_417687a1bc_z.jpg

4903453152_bca00a87a8_z.jpg

Second, the swing...

Here's a 6 iron down the line:

6 iron front:

Driver DTL:

Driver front:

Sand wedge DTL:

SW front:

I know I'm too flat, my wrists are screwy, my knees/lower body do bad things, and I probably do bad things with my shoulders/upper body as well. :banana:

(I would like everyhting fixed with one small swing key and an extra 20 yards on all clubs, k thanks.) :laughing:

Seriously, though, I did - after taking these videos - find that I was letting my right knee turn out to the right during my backswing, sliding a little and getting too much weight onto my right side, and then getting myself trapped on my right on the downswing resulting in fat shots or else having to compensate so much that even good contact could go anywhere. So I started keeping focus on having my right knee stay quiet during the swing and not shift so much to the right - this resulted in much better contact, hitting the ball first, small divot, hitting the sweet spot more often, and much more consistent direction and trajectory. No more distance, though.

Any help would be great!

There are 2 things we need to get cleaned up early to get you back on track. First of all with the 6 iron is ball position. You are playing that back too far. This is stopping you from getting behind the ball, and second it forces your hands to get too active through the ball. Move it forward, should be at your left ear. Next is the flat takeaway. Your turns look ok, but getting that flat is getting you disconnected. I want you to take the club shaft from the video and stick it in the ground so it is at your waist height. Step up so the shaft is in line with your toes. Now slowly swing back so the hosel just reaches the shaft. With it at this height and on your toe line I want you to swing and you should just clip the top or barley go over the shaft on the way to the top. This will get you back on plane. Try this out and keep me updated.

There are 2 things we need to get cleaned up early to get you back on track. First of all with the 6 iron is ball position. You are playing that back too far. This is stopping you from getting behind the ball, and second it forces your hands to get too active through the ball. Move it forward, should be at your left ear. Next is the flat takeaway. Your turns look ok, but getting that flat is getting you disconnected. I want you to take the club shaft from the video and stick it in the ground so it is at your waist height. Step up so the shaft is in line with your toes. Now slowly swing back so the hosel just reaches the shaft. With it at this height and on your toe line I want you to swing and you should just clip the top or barley go over the shaft on the way to the top. This will get you back on plane. Try this out and keep me updated.

Worked on it for a few rounds and have - I think - moved my plane up a little steeper instead of being so flat. My contact is at least much better and my misses are more on target. Hit 14 fairways and 10 greens last weekend, which is almost as good as I've ever done on GIR.

6 iron back: http://www.flickr.com/photos/penglynns/4965754529/

6 iron front: http://www.flickr.com/photos/penglynns/4965765689/

Things look like they are getting better. Keep working on the takeaway plane the club head is still a little too deep in the takeaway. You can see the difference in you hand action through the ball which is a ton better. Good work and keep at it.

Things look like they are getting better. Keep working on the takeaway plane the club head is still a little too deep in the takeaway. You can see the difference in you hand action through the ball which is a ton better. Good work and keep at it.

Thanks.

Too deep = too far to the inside/around the body?

The takeaway is too far inside which leads to a slightly steep down swing which will lead to toe deep divots.

Back