Lob Wedge distance?

Barberakb

USAF / Go Cowboys!
Reaction score
Handicap
What do you guys normally hit your Lob wedge on a full shot? I can only hit mine about 75 yards. It's a 60 degree. Just wondering if that's normal.

What do you guys normally hit your Lob wedge on a full shot? I can only hit mine about 75 yards. It's a 60 degree. Just wondering if that's normal.

I don't use a 60 degree wedge but I do have one and I do practice with it and 75 to 80 yards is about right for me and I would suspect that it's a good distance for most people.

-JP

I used to hit it about 65 yds, but I can't tell you the last time I took a full swing with it. My distances have increased in the last month, so I suspect around 70-75 now.

75 yards for me. But I can use it down to 10 yards really.

65 to 70 is a full 60* for me, but that generally brings the ball back a ways. I'd rather hit it 60 and stick or go with an open 56* farther than 65 yards.

Around 65 yards for me with a 58*. Anything more and I'd rather go with the 54*.

I'm with Carsten, I'll take it about 60 yds with a 58*, anything past that I'm grabbing a different club either a 56* or 53* depending on the lie.

My 58° is good for about 60-70 yards on a full swing, but since it never comes to the course with me, it really doesn't matter. I don't carry anything beyond my 56° Vokey.

my comfy zone with my 60° is anything inside of 65yrds and i hardly ever take a full swing with it unless the situation(points to my abs) asks for it
the farthest ive hit it ever was about 120 yrds... i hit the equator as flush as you can... air mailing the green and almost reached the next teebox :sad:

My 60 is auto from 75yds on flops or < 60 on chips/pitches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i carry a 58 but rarely use it in a full shot. my 54 gets 99% of my shots between 40 and 75 yards. inside 40 is the 58 but i wouldn't consider it full.....more finesse.

I just got a 60 so I've only hit it a few times on the range but it seems like 50-65 is where I'm carrying it to atm.

I max mine out at 90 yds but would only hit full on a tight front pin and needed to spin it. I really only use it on 75 yds, which would be a 3/4 swing and in.

I can hit it 95 yards, but I would much rather hit a 3/4 sand wedge. The most I usually look to hit it is 80 yards.

i've never owned anything with more loft than 56*. never really felt like i needed to.

I hit my 60 100yds on the money.

i've never owned anything with more loft than 56*. never really felt like i needed to.

i moved to a 4 wedge bag last year. prior to that...never more than a 56. it was quite an adjustment but really made a lot of sense looking back now. i've gone lower this year than i have in a loooong time thanks to my short game. the 58 is so versatile. i truly love it.

i moved to a 4 wedge bag last year. prior to that...never more than a 56. it was quite an adjustment but really made a lot of sense looking back now. i've gone lower this year than i have in a loooong time thanks to my short game. the 58 is so versatile. i truly love it.

interesting. i've often thought about going 50, 54, 58 rather than 52 56. i think a lot of the reason why i've done that is b/c most LH wedge offerings are always 52/56/60. possibly something i may fool around with in the future.

I max mine out at 90 yds but would only hit full on a tight front pin and needed to spin it. I really only use it on 75 yds, which would be a 3/4 swing and in.

Same exactly for me

I never got into the 4 wedge idea myself.

I have a PW which is just part of my iron set, so I guess that makes it more like a 10-iron and I carry a 51 which is my "Swiss Army Wedge". My 55 is basically just a dedicated soft-sand wedge and I also use it for the odd grassy lie now and then.

I tried carrying a 60 for one season but it turned out to be more trouble that it was worth so it occupies closet space now.

So from my PW my lofts are 46, 51, 55 and this setup works very well.

To each his own. :confused2:

-JP

the only thing that sucks about the 4-wedge bag is that you have to lose something somewhere else. i've made adjustments and really worked on closing the gap that was left behind. it works for me but it's not for everyone.

i realized that i was losing strokes in my shortgame...and studied my game to figure out where the hole was. made the change and it really opened up my game. it;s worth a try if you're interested.

the only thing that sucks about the 4-wedge bag is that you have to lose something somewhere else. i've made adjustments and really worked on closing the gap that was left behind. it works for me but it's not for everyone.

i realized that i was losing strokes in my shortgame...and studied my game to figure out where the hole was. made the change and it really opened up my game. it;s worth a try if you're interested.

would you mind sharing what your bag makeup is? i'm curious and what got kicked out to accomodate the extra wedge, and why?

We have a thread on wedge makeup and another on why people chose said wedges.

Lets keep this one about LW distance. Thanks.

We have a thread on wedge makeup and another on why people chose said wedges.

Lets keep this one about LW distance. Thanks.

good point, my bad!

interesting. i've often thought about going 50, 54, 58 rather than 52 56. i think a lot of the reason why i've done that is b/c most LH wedge offerings are always 52/56/60. possibly something i may fool around with in the future.

you could always go 50,55,60

Back